Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Medicines In Settings

eyfs1966

Hi I am trying to update our rather long winded and confusing administration of medicines forms. I have 1 for short term meds (ie for one off use such as a short course of antibiotics), where we get the parent to sign to give us permission to administer, then staff sign on administering the med, then parent signs at end of the session.

We have a seperate form for long term meds for ongoing conditions. This form is signed by the parent to authorise staff to give meds to a child. We then sign every time we administer, but is it necessary for us to get the parent to sign daily as well?

If anyone would like to share the systems/paperwork they use, I would be most grateful

Thank you

sounds similar to ours :o we use the PSLA book which has all the things you mentioned sign in/2 sign when administered then parent sign also...cant really see you can cut any of these sections out...but ours is the same fo all meds (only difference is on the care plan)

I shall be watching this with interest as we have very similar forms and we have a child joining us in September 5 days a week who has Cystic Fibrosis and we will have to administer medicine on a daily basis!

Kris

Ok have done some more research and it would appear that we need to notify parents daily about any medicines administered. The current EYFS states:

Providers must keep written records of all medicines administered to children, and inform parents

The proposed revision to the EYFS states under para 3.44

[b]Medicine must only be administered to a child where written permission for that particular medicine (including non-prescription medication) has been obtained from the child’s parent. This permission should normally be obtained before the child’s admission to the setting. Providers must keep a written record each time a medicine is administered to a child, and inform the child’s parents on the same day or as soon as reasonably practicable. A child must not be given medicines containing aspirin unless prescribed by a doctor. [/b]

So looks like we do have to het a parent to sign as evidence that we have informed them of medicines administered daily. How is it that schools get around this? my child has LT meds, and I am never informed let alone informed daily!!

Definitely need a parent to sign for every administration on medication and not just daily. I know a preschool which almost failed its inspection over just this matter. It was only because they could show they got parents to sign for the occasional administration that they managed to argue it was a misinterpretation on their part. It did however cost them in their inspection outcome.

Edited by Guest

its really important with some meds to give them on time and the quantities can vary daily (as with CF) so parents will need to know this info so that the next dose is done correctly too. Even things like calpol etc parents need to know times so that they don't overdose at home.....i have no idea how schools get away with this eyfs1966 as although they do not have to have separate policies for eyfs they do have to follow the same guidelines.

louby loo thats great thanks. Where about's on the Ofsted site do you find these guidance doc's. I suspect that i may find more of use burried somewhere on their site.

Well....... I used to get a weekly update of new documents etc - but I do not seem to recieve them anymore!!

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)