Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Key Group Time

Hi All,

In September I would like to change our key group time from a planned activity for all groups to take part in, to each key person being responsible for their own planning for their individual groups.

Does anyone do it this way? How does it work and are you willing to share copies of plans etc?

Thanks

Radish

I've done it this way and it worked well as an opportunity for an adult to lead play in small groups and for new children to understand the 'group' structure. After snack we used to divide into our groups and one would go back outside and do something structured, leaf rubbing or letters and sounds activity or whatever, another group would a do a jigsaw altogether, another would play one of the bingo games etc. We all planned for a 'next steps' activity from our group and often found that it brought others on too. It fell by the wayside because one staff member didn't embrace it and just did the same thing each time more or less, and there was never any planning for me to see why she was doing what she was doing, in spite of asking

We do the same as Cait, after snack we have group time and the kids love it!!!

Each staff member is responsible for own planning but I am aware that some stronger than others in this area so plan for sept is too all together plan 4 activities that we rotate around and then ! activity a week is planned for group by key worker.

We have keyworker time at the end of each morning. One day is a Letters and Sounds activity and the rest of the week the keyworker plans activities relevant to Next Steps for children in her group. I'll try to add our plan.

Anita

Not sure how to upload it!

We have keyworker time at the end of each morning. One day is a Letters and Sounds activity and the rest of the week the keyworker plans activities relevant to Next Steps for children in her group. I'll try to add our plan.

Anita

Not sure how to upload it!

Hi Anita.

Below all the comment boxes it says 'add reply' if you click on that you get a box to complete but it has a lot more options, one of which, below the box is to upload a file or picture. Click the 'browse' button, find the file you want and then click 'upload'. Now the bottom of the box 'add reply' and there you go

we do small groups each day, based on abilities/next step requirements...... rather than key groups, can never work it as key groups as a keyworker may have 2 children in one session whilst another has 6/7, and as not all staff work everday we have some sessions where children wouldnt have their key worker in, how do you manage key groups ?

haha - congratulations - there should be no holding you back now!!!

and it works too - just one comment, you'll find it more useful to folk if you save it as the older .doc format, as some don't have the 2007 office

Edited by Cait

rather than key groups, can never work it as key groups as a keyworker may have 2 children in one session whilst another has 6/7, and as not all staff work everday we have some sessions where children wouldnt have their key worker in, how do you manage key groups ?

Yes, we have this issue also. We have worked it so that each KP has has session when all their group is in, and on that session they plan the 'adult led activity' -with their key-group in mind..... but is is open to all other children too.

For us this runs throughout the whole session and is very much linked with freeflow play - we just look for moments when children as 'lost' and not fully engaging with child initated play. We do not stop and do key groups anymore.

Hi Radish,

We too are in the process of planning how to implement this.

Our plan is to replace what we do at the end of the session. We currently split our group into 2, (about 12/13 children in each) one does a music activity, one does a story / game etc, in 2 seperate rooms.

Our aim is to use this time for each keyperson to take their children and do a planned activity, using what they have learned about interests /needs / etc from their observations.

Groups will be unbalanced, but my view is that that careful planning can overcome this. We are having a staff workshop to plan how we will do this.

It will be interesting to see what happens, but I know I am really looking forward to having more dedicated time with my own group of children.

I agree, when it works well it's excellent. I like 'buddy days' too when children are paired up with coloured stickers when they arrive and spend time one to one with a child they wouldn't normally play with, accessing activities they wouldn't generally choose. It's quite an eye-opener sometimes as we see children in different situations that we maybe hadn't appreciated that they avoided - but suddenly enjoying it tremendously

we plan individually for each child. Key people plan on a weekly basis. Key people have set days for key working and do incidental obs during the week.

We generally dont do topics but go with childrens interests

We do very little adult led and do not do group adult led activities.

Letters and sounds is on going through out the session with whatever the children may be doing, but we do more specific L&S at our story sessions. Story sessions are divided into 3 small groups according to age and ability. So l&S will be approriate for each group. My group (the ones going to school) have been working on phonic sounds but i would only do this if the children are ready.

Are your story times not adult led then?

Do you not miss having some adult led times. Surely this is the time when we introduce new ideas and activities to children who wouldn't necessarily think of them from their own experience?

Not being picky, just interested.

of course story time is adult led but sometimes children will choose the story even though i had a preset idea

we also have a short welcome time which is adult led, our planning times are adult led but child intiated

But no i do not miss adult led activities we would much rather enhance a child led activity than initiate one.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)