Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tooth Brushing Hygiene

Hi Knowledgeable Ones,

Cait has mentioned tooth brushing routine in a couple of threads recently and I've started this thread to prevent hijacking other's. I have problems with endlessly changing brushes (have the odd parent who can't be relied on to provide regular changes) and have noticed some developed mould over half-term so needed replacing again. I have started to buy really cheap brushes in bulk which really aren't the right size, but needs must.

I have always used named toothbrush holders and brushes, rinsed and put away daily. Brush changed each term and holders put through dishwasher. Cait has a Milton sterilising method that I am interested in learning about.

So, how does everyone else deal with the job please?

Cheers,

Honey

Edited by HoneyPancakes

No.. don't worry, we didn't either..

think it is a good practice thing, but in reality we really couldn't manage it.. and I also wondered how many parents do this at home after meals, and while that is no reason not to felt it was good enough to decide against...along with the practicalities etc

no one has ever asked or questioned it, ans should a parent request we would have followed through.

That said most of our children were half days with only a few all day so was having lunch before or after...

Ooh, sorry, just noticed this! We are registered 'tooth friendly' and brush teeth after lunch. If we have birthday cake (not often) children are given a chunk of cheese/ drink of milk rather than endlessly brushing, as you say, would they at home?

Many of our children have neglected teeth, we're in a very soft water area with no fluoridation and for some children, this is the only time their teeth get brushed. (For one child last year, the only time anyone looked in his mouth! that's another story)

I buy Wilkinson's two to a pack children's brushes and write names on the handle with an indelible marker. Brushes are stored upright in a wooden test tube rack with names by the holes so right brush in right hole.

I have a plastic jug which I put about 4-5cms of water in and I put the brushes heads down in there (for the children who are here) and give them a brief whizz about. Then I lift each one out in turn, put a pea sized amount of toothpaste on and pass them round and they all stand together brushing. I take each child in turn, and with them facing the same way as me, put my left hand under their chin gently tipping their head slightly back into my tummy and brush their teeth. Pop the toothbrush into the pot of water, wipe their face and say "tara" (huge joke - not sure why) and work my way through them until all done. Next I tip out the water from the jug, run the brush heads under a force of water, pop them back in the jug with 5cms or so of water and a sloosh of Milton. They 'steep' for half an hour or so then I take them out, shake off the water and pop them heads up in the rack and cover the racks with a few facecloths. Job done

Brother in law is a dentist and this is the recommended method for our water area if you are in a fluoridated water area it's recommended nowadays that children spit out the toothpaste as too much fluoride can cause spots in the enamel of the tooth apparently

Edited by Cait

Thanks for that Cait. Very thorough. Do you have any children who are ancie about having any help? Have a couple who are very thingy about it - and the whole family are toothbrush chewers too!!!

Like the TaRa!!!

Honey

Most of mine do their teeth after lunch but they are completely independent. I just help make sure the right amount of paste in put on each brush and observe/advise for safety and supervision whilst modelling to them the correct method by doing my own teeth at the same time.

I have also got a big set of model teeth and a large brush that we sometimes bring down at snack time to demonstrate how and why we clean our teeth.

Brushes and paste for each child are stored in separate named covered plastic boxes and are rinsed well before and after each use and soaked in milton regularly.

Thanks for that Cait. Very thorough. Do you have any children who are ancie about having any help? Have a couple who are very thingy about it - and the whole family are toothbrush chewers too!!!

Like the TaRa!!!

Honey

No, not at all. I think because they see the other children having it done, they just get on with it. I wouldn't allow any 'thingy-ness' hahaha

I had one Mum who arrived when I was doing her daughter's teeth and was surprised that I was managing it without any fuss. I asked how she was doing it and she showed me. She was facing the child and jabbing the brush a bit, so I moved her into 'our' position and there were no problems.

When 2 of the nurseries I support applied for their latest Smile for Life accreditation they were told not to brush children's teeth after lunch as eating softens the enamel so brushing straight after is not good for the teeth.

That's very interesting CCT. Do you know of any online advice that supports this? I will have a search too.

I find the mintyness and toothbrushing routine after lunch really helps them to settle for quiet time (mimicing their own bedtime routines I suppose).

Will reassess though if that advice is correct.

Have checked with B-I-L who says "Only a potential problem if lots of acid eg fruit, otherwise fine and will neutralise plaque acids formed from eating carbohydrates"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)