Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Laser Eye Surgery

kristina

Hi Kris -

I had it two months ago. Ask away! I'm really impressed with the results although I may have to have a further correction in one eye as it seems to have decided to correct their correction...

I had mine done with Accuvision in London and can't recommend them highly enough. Very professional and they don't engage in some of the assembly line marketing techniques that others do.

Let me know if you need more detail. :o

Did it hurt!!

Kris

Not painful, but it's a very odd experience, especially when they open the flap and your vision disappears. I wouldn't recommend it as a relaxation technique but on the whole I'd say it's no more distressing than a visit to the dentist.

my mum in law had it - one eye great the other not nd she says she suffers from very dry eyes now - as with everything i suppose it suits some better than others :o

I haven't had any of that sort of problem hali. As you say some people do experience it in different ways. There is definitely an element of risk but it's pretty small (if you believe the statistics) especially with the more serious problems like dry eyes, blindness and death (I probably shouldn't have mentioned the last two should I?).

I'd love to be brave enough!

If you really want to do it Susan, it's worth going to see the people. I'm full of admiration for those Accuvision folk who don't push you at all. They more or less shove you out of the place after the consultation telling you you should go away and think about it. They never once contacted me afterwards (and I took 6 weeks to get back to them) so they're not high pressure, and the examination and recommendations are very good. The optometrists are top notch in my opinion.

For me, I never had to wear glasses until my forties (mainly long vision so it only appears as you get older), and with my disorganised mind it was too late to adjust to a combination of lenses and glasses, without always finding myself without the ones I needed for any given occasion. So being able to bounce out of bed in the morning and just get on with stuff is fantastic. I'm still excited about waking up in the night and seeing the time on the alarm clock clearly. So I clearly am a convert and not as objective as you might want...

For me, I never had to wear glasses until my forties (mainly long vision so it only appears as you get older), and with my disorganised mind it was too late to adjust to a combination of lenses and glasses, without always finding myself without the ones I needed for any given occasion. So being able to bounce out of bed in the morning and just get on with stuff is fantastic. I'm still excited about waking up in the night and seeing the time on the alarm clock clearly. So I clearly am a convert and not as objective as you might want...

Oh Steve - you have hit the nail squarely on the head! having to scrabble about for the glasses just to tell the time is one of my real bug bears. In the early days of wearing glasses, (long sighted) I often went shopping without glasses and had to ask people what the small print on the labels read!

What was the time delay between having each eye done may I ask?

I have an appointment on Saturday for a consultation, I am going to go to a couple as I do have quite a complex prescription. I am just so fed up of wearing glasses (over 20 years!) and the thought of getting up in the morning and not putting glasses on is one of the main reasons I thought i would look into it.

It's a 2 hour consultation and I have been told I wont be able to drive afterwards!! I'll let you all know how i get on (once I can see well enough to use the lap top!!).

Kris

I have an appointment on Saturday for a consultation, I am going to go to a couple as I do have quite a complex prescription. I am just so fed up of wearing glasses (over 20 years!) and the thought of getting up in the morning and not putting glasses on is one of the main reasons I thought i would look into it.

It's a 2 hour consultation and I have been told I wont be able to drive afterwards!! I'll let you all know how i get on (once I can see well enough to use the lap top!!).

Kris

Good luck! :o

it's only the consultation and I'm still nervous!! :wacko:

Kris

Hello Ihad it done about 10 years ago. It was fantastic and I haven't had any problems since .....the follow up appointments were fab. I had it done in Manchester. I do now have to wear specks again for distance ...but only when tired..... very infrequently........well worth doing I was as blind as a bat but could see within a couple of hours and the morning after waking up and being able to see out of the window was great :oxD:(:(:( It was at ultra lase!!!

Edited by Guest

I had it done three years ago - FANTASTIC, NO PAIN, ALL OVER IN 8 minutes My husband had his done last year...I have just had a 3 year check and still have 20-20 vision it has changed my life!!

Do it - I recommend it to everyone I see with glasses! :oxD:(

Only negative I can think of is my mantra for days was "dont rub your eyes"

Edited by Guest

What was the time delay between having each eye done may I ask?

I had them both done at the same time Panders. They were happy to do it in two goes but I thought I might as well get it out the way in one great big electromagnetic burst! :o

The rest of the day I rested the eyes (and definitely couldn't have driven home) but the next morning my vision was pretty near perfect. I spent the following week boring everyone witless by reading medicine bottle prescriptions.

My prescription wasn't straightforward Kris as I had a bit of astigmatism as well as long sightedness. One of the reasons I discounted a different laser surgery firm (mentioning no names - ok Optimax) is that they told me the astigmatism was 'insignificant'. I thought, well it might be insignificant to you mate, but these are my eyes we're talking about.

The solution they recommended to me was monovision, which is where they give you one eye optimised for long vision and another for reading. This, once your brain has got used to the idea, gives you the flexibility of distance and reading vision without the necessity of glasses (or while minimising it). I went for this, and the only problem I have at the moment is that my reading eye seems to have readjusted itself to distance, which means that occasionally I need to wear reading glasses. They've promised to put this right if there is still a problem in two months time.

Again, you need to read the small print - there are risks - but it's certainly worth investigating. I couldn't put it any more strongly than that, as I would hate to think that I recommended it to someone for whom it didn't turn out so well. But get a couple of quotes (quite right Kris) and decide from there is my suggestion!

Thank you for all the replies and like you Steve I also have astigmatism and longsightedness which is wgy I want to make sure I use the right company!! I have an appointment with Optical Express and another one with Ultralase as both of these are fiarly local.

Will keep you all posted!!

Kris

I know this is slightly of subject but i wondered if anyone had had laser surgery for cloudying on the cataract? I not sure whether to have it done or not? I only had cataract surgery 6 months ago and i already have cloudying....Aaghhhhh!!!!

Sorry, no experience of that simcity. When they do a cataract op don't they take out the lens and replace it with an artificial one? I'd have thought it should last a lot longer than six months...

Hi simcity, sometimes where the new lens sits does grow and thicken and cause the cloudying. Well worth going back to your consultant as laser surgery for this is considered safe and successful. My aunt had this recently and she said her vision improved minutes after the treatment, which was all over in less than half an hour. Obviously your problem could be something else entirely, but worth finding out?

Hi! I have been told if i have the laser surgery i have a one in fifty chance of a detached retina, which is why i wondered if anyone else has had it done, its great to hear about your aunts expereince

Well I had my first consultation yesterday with Optical Express!! It was fine no problems and yes I am suitable, that's the good news, bad news at a cost of £3600!!! ALthough they are offering 18 monts interest free credit, and if I had had it done Monday :o they would have given me a 10% discount!!

I have another consultation this week with Ultralase then decision time.

Kris

From looking at Ultralase's costs in the past Kris, they will probably be more expensive if you want the full gold star treatment (and why shouldn't you expect it - after all you've only got one set of eyes, why accept a little makeover on them...).

From what I've heard about Optical Express though, you're likely to be given a number of future offers, so I wouldn't worry about missing out on the first 10% discount!

They do check the depth of your cornea (because this decides how much they can re-shape it) but I don't remember there being two sets of drops. Might be though - I can't really remember I'm afraid. Maybe they gave me knockout drops?

I was feeling tempted until I saw the price Kristina! Although the cost of glasses (or in my case contact lenses) must add up to quite a lot over the years. Hmmm....still thinking...

I'm sure one of these companies was on Watchdog recently over hard selling, but I can't remember which one.