Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Epipen Training

laura

We have a child who has an egg allergy joining us after Easter. I rang the health clinic to ask about training staff to use an epipen and was told they can't do it anymore as the funding isn't there now! What on earth am I going to do? I said to the HV that I couldn't exclude a child for having an allergy but I needed training otherwise the insurance wouldn't be valid. She suggested I buy a DVD from allergy awareness campaign. I've sourced a training epipen - do you think that'll be enough?????

That was all we were able to access in school when we had a similar issue althogh I believe we were able to borrow it but if you buy it it will presumably be a one off purchase and can be used regularly to revisit.?

It's definitely better than nothing!

As a person needing one myself, I would say using the EpiPen is actually the easy bit, it's understanding when to use it that can be more problematical. Could you get one of the parents to take you through normal precedure they use, then sign to say they are happy to leave the child with you?

Sue

Have you talked to your LA reguarding this - if they are in agreement then i'm sure if parents go through it with you nd sign to say they are happy for you to administer you will be ok :o

I did a refresher course on-line http://www.learnhq.com/epipen.html

Original training offered by the allergy nurse from the Children's Hospital a few years ago so I decided to have a look at this e-course when I saw it... it was free at the time!

May be worth a look - any training probably better than none :o

Nona

Edited by Guest

If you are concerned, how about St John's Ambulance? Red Cross? do they do Epipen training?

A friend is a first aider for St John Ambulance and I know they do epipen training.

Where about in the country are you? For all of our 1st Aid training we use ABC Medical Services, can't recommend them enough, and I'm pretty sure the offer Epi-pen training, don't know how much it is though. They are based in Reading and cover most of the south I think (within reason!!)

Though I think I read somewhere, don't know where though sorry, that if the parents have been trained then pass that training on to you then that should be sufficient. Please don't quote me though!!

Guest Spiral

One of my colleagues went to the child's gp with the parents of the child and they provided training for free...it's worth a shot (sorry no pun intended)!

Spiral :-)

We had a child who used an Epipen a few years ago and eventually got St Johns training... The hardest part was getting soemoen to agree to do the training as all the health care professionals involved in the child agreed we needed it, but no-one was prepard to pay for it, except us...

May not be needed in this case, but as it seems that funding for training generally is slowly being withdrawn, would it be a good idea for settings to form 'clusters' in order to share the cost of training, or those that charge by the hour, rather than person - in that way if you do need to have it, the cost of one trainer spread over a few settings might help?

Might even be the start of some mutually beneficial relationships !

We have had children through our nursery class who may have needed an epipen.

Our training was with our school nurse prior to them starting. We also got lots of advice/information from their mums on admission.

We made an advice/information poster with the child's photo to be displayed in school for staff to be aware. Only trained members would be allowed to administer the epipen but thankfully we never had to use them :o

My staff have recently been on LEA funded first aid training, where epi pen training was taught

Edited by Suer

We have a child who has an egg allergy joining us after Easter. I rang the health clinic to ask about training staff to use an epipen and was told they can't do it anymore as the funding isn't there now! What on earth am I going to do? I said to the HV that I couldn't exclude a child for having an allergy but I needed training otherwise the insurance wouldn't be valid. She suggested I buy a DVD from allergy awareness campaign. I've sourced a training epipen - do you think that'll be enough?????

Hi, we accessed training via The Children's Short Break Clinical Training Team (CSBCTT) and it was very good. Email- csbctt@nchc.nhs.uk

(NB: We're in Norwich - don't know if this is only Norwich based or not????)

i have just done my first aid and he showed all of us how to use one, if any child needs a epipen they should have it with them at all times, maybe get the parents in to show you? better to know for now and sort out training for a later date when you can get it.

9 months ago when I was looking into this, the requirement from our insurers (through PLA) were that we had to have specific training - not just the usual first aid, plus written instructions from child's GP and authority from parents before we could be covered. We did our training through the county (at a cost) - child's GP wouldn't do it and school nurses only apparently do it in September for the start of a new school year and had never heard of having to train pre school staff.

Thankfully we've not needed to use it for our child - nut and egg allergy.

Jo

Hi checked on PSLA insurance documents for this year and it does require you to be trained by a GP or Trained Nurse to do this, and letters of medication stated by the Doctor, permission from parents all to be sent to the Insurance Department.

It seems absolutely ridiculous that anyone should have to pay to be trained for this, i know we used the child's Health Visitor when we needed to be trained.

What about speaking to your local Children's Centre as they may have Trained Nurses or Health Visitors on site that maybe able to help or advise you.

Wishing you good luck. :o

I managed to do mine a few months back with FS Training in Northants - one of my pre scchool assistants has just done her 1st aid and it was covered in that, a lot of funding has been withdrawn or not available for the next year which is vey worrying

Well we definitely need a certificate to say we have been trained. I've phoned the parents up to ask them if they can try speaking to GP / HV and see if they can get us training in some way. Will have to keep trying......

Well we definitely need a certificate to say we have been trained. I've phoned the parents up to ask them if they can try speaking to GP / HV and see if they can get us training in some way. Will have to keep trying......

Hi Laura - I've joined in quite late on this one.......maybe this has already been suggested........we were trained by a 'Community Nurse' - she 'trained' mum at the same time.......

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)