Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

School Intake

Hi Everyone

Had a parent today inform me that if she gets her 1st choice school her child will be staying with us until Christmas! When I mentioned to mum that from September there was only 1 intake she informed me that because it was a voluntary aided school they could still stagger their intake! Is this true?

If so I may have a problem as I am full until September'12 as I thought all our leavers would move on in July and have filled their spaces! :o

Kris

I'm in Kent Kris and we have to put up with this all the time. I have one school who change their intake dates every year, last year they took them in over 9 weeks depending upon when their birthdays fell, although if parents wanted to defer their summer born child until the following February the school was h appy for them to do that as well, this year we understand the school is going to do just 2 intakes, September and January, but nothing official has been said to the pre-schools who have to cope with this erratic behaviour!!!

Very frustrating.

I think she maybe correct, but if in doubt i would give a call to the admissions department or better still the named school for clarification.

That is why we never offer any sessions to anyone until parents have been notified of places in April.

Nothing is ever simple is it, but i do hope you manage to sort it out. :o

Your parent is correct, Kristina, parents have complete choice as to when their children start school as long as they start by the term following their 5th birthday, and take up the reception place by at least easter.

When they completed the choice form, they should have been asked to tick a box saying which term their child will take up their place. Schools cannot turn children away (as they have often done in the past) if they do not take up the place in the September.

Pre schools should have been informed of this, but likewise, parents just have let you know of their intentions.

Thanks for all the replies!

Have to say I was starting to panic, but have double checked my numbers and although full I have spaces until Christmas so that's a relief!!

I was about to open that bottle of wine and cry!! :o

Kris

In my area this doesn't seem to be happening (as yet)

If a parent decides they don't want to send their child til the January where does the funding go?

If a school is always oversubscribed, as all our feeders are, could they actually give the place away to someone who will fill it, in the September term?

I'm just wondering what parent would not start if they risked losing a place if the school is always full, with waiting lists.

I thought this became effective from september 2012, (new admission codes) although many LA's have been running schemes for some time along these lines. However, I am sure someone will correct me if they do indeed come into effect from September 2011.

You can read the school admissions code here

The arrangements for 4 year olds are written half way down.

It begins this year 2011.

I have always asked the question about funding because pre schools will receive the funding as they do now, but schools cannot offer the place to another child who can start earlier, which is what they have often done in the past.

In reality I don't know how much parents have been informed of their options.

We are based in a Primary school and when I mentioned to the Headteacher that another local school was still staggering intake in September she was very surprised and seemed to think that under the new admissions this shouldn't be happening now!

Yet I have spoken to the school in question and they asure me they can do this!!

Kris

I think you will find Kris that its the parents that can defer and not the school.

My understanding is that all children should be offered a full-time place the term after the fourth birthday from September 2011, although legally children will still not have to go until the term after their fifth birthday, confused so am i. :o

we deal with this on a regular basis and have done for some time as our local school chose to opt for a one intake some time ago....so how it works for us......all children are offered a school place for the september in the year that they turn five. The parents then decide if they want them to start in september (heavily persuaded by the school xD )most will go for that option but we make it clear to all parents that children do not have to start school until the term after their fifth birthday...we then have a small percentage who will decide to keep their children with us instead of opting for school (the school MUST keep their place open)

We find that often it is the children with additional needs or those born in the summer who will decide to stay with us....i have one this year who will do his whole reception year at pre-school because he has no school place to go to :o

I too in Kent. I never fill my spaces for following year until i know all children leaving have a place as this seems to be a constant problem, in my area being not enough spaces for children needing them. I know that there are 6 children who still not have a place for school from Sept last year!

They do not have to start school until the term that they are 5.

Nearly all our schools except for 1 do just September intake.

We have had the single intake in September for years now and occasionally a parent chooses to defer the place for a term - we have been able to claim the funding for that child from the funding pot , the school doesn't claim for it until January under thier protocol -and it's a diifferent budget usually, not sure if it will change now under Single Funding Formula - will be interested to see what happens ! :o