Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Inappropriate Language!

A parent has approached my Deputy at the end of lunch club today, she mentioned that when her husband dropped off this morning whilst waiting for the gate to open another child was using very inappropriate language (the dreaded F word!). Apparently it was used more than once and quite loudly!

Mum realises that it was outside of Pre-School (but within school grounds as we are in a primary school), but she felt that we should be aware and that neither her or her husband want their child to be exposed to this language.

I fully understand her concerns and have to say if I had been a parent with my child there I probably would have said something!!

So do I mention this on a newsletter? Obviously before Pre-school children behaviour isn't our responsibility but at the same time I want to safeguard our reputation (even though nothing really to do with us)!

So if I mention it on a newsletter how to word it?

Kris

Please could you remember to moderate your language whilst waiting at the school gate as we have received some comments from parents that sometimes inappropriate words are being said within children's hearing. We do understand that expletives sometimes happen, but just ask that you bear in mind that children are about.

I'm confused though - it has been a long week. I thought it was a child who had said the rude word, whereas Cait's excellent wording seems aimed at an adult swearing.

Or have I just, as predicted on Tuesday, just completely lost the plot? :o

If you have Maz - so have I - mind that's quite possible :(

I wondered if it was a pre-school child or one of the primary school children?

Think that I would have to put something in my newsletter......perhaps just adapt Cait's wording or you could just simply say... 'mind your f******* language' - no just joking - ( :o sorry couldn't resist) xD

Think that I would have to put something in my newsletter......perhaps just adapt Cait's wording or you could just simply say... 'mind your f******* language' - no just joking - ( :o sorry couldn't resist) ;)

xD ....................hee,hee, hee - great minds thinks alike :(:(:( :wacko: xD :rolleyes: :unsure:

No, I had understood that it was a child, I was trying to say it politely without singling anyone out. In our case it was a child too, but it just made everyone aware (I have to say, that those who had heard the child knew EXACTLY who it was aimed at!) There was no vitriol from the parent though, luckily she could see that it was a blanket 'mind your language' for everyone

If you have Maz - so have I - mind that's quite possible :(

I wondered if it was a pre-school child or one of the primary school children?

Think that I would have to put something in my newsletter......perhaps just adapt Cait's wording or you could just simply say... 'mind your f******* language' - no just joking - ( :o sorry couldn't resist) xD

Have to say had crossed my mind!! And it was a 3 year old using the language!!

Kris

Unfortunately bad language is and has been a common feature of schools for many years. Many children will pick up language from home and usually TV. (Am also guilty of introducing my niece to a colourful word when I forget things!) I usually explain to parents that unfortunately it will occur and usually the children don't understand what they are saying. (I once had to speak to a parent about their son shouting Mother F****** B**** - she was mortified and apparently he had picked it up from a DVD his uncle had watched!) If it's the children from the primary school, then have a word with the head. I like Cait's wording though.

Edited by Guest