Jump to content
Home
Forum
Join Us
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Kiwi Fruit


 Share

Recommended Posts

Can anyone tell me whether kiwi fruits should not be given to the under fives. I have been on The food standard agency site which says that they can possibly be quite dangerous for children with known allergies, does anyone provide these fruits at their setting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did, I don't any longer, I was concerned that an unknown allergy or intolerance could exist, they have some kind of enzyme in them which the children can react to I think

Edited by Panders
Link to comment
Share on other sites

we still have them ...i might consider if i had children with significant allergies already but our group is ok at the moment.The allergy is said to be linked to latex ...see quote...

 

 

Latex contains many allergens that are similar to the allergens in some foods, so people who are allergic to latex might also find they react to foods such as apple, avocado, banana, carrot, celery, cherry, chestnut, coconut, kiwi, mango, paprika, and strawberry. This is called latex-food syndrome. In the same way, people who are allergic to these foods may also react to latex

.....

im not about to ban apples and bananas so probably ok! :o

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interestingly, I was asked at a pre operation assessment yesterday if I was allergic to latex. I said no, and was then asked if I can eat bananas and kiwi fruits?I'm ok with them, but the nurse said they were a cause of a lot of allergic reactions in folk, so I'm going to give up Kiwis in my setting, but will stick to everything else.

Edited by narnia
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have kiwi and don't intend not doing so unless someone is specifically allergic. Otherwise we will end up with the children not being able to eat anything on the small offchance that someone in a 10 mile radius might possible break out in a spot. Sorry bit sarcastic I know, but really! Our poor children will be allergic to everything if not exposed to these things at all, hence the increased prevalance in nut allergies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We don't have them because I am sensitive but it is caused by the skin not the kiwi itself I think as it exacerbates my asthma greatly. I can always tell when a parent has forgotten about not having them in the preschool and popped one in the lunchbox because staff start steering me to the cupboards so i don't go near the lunch tables!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When the nurse came to do ei-pen training for a child with a peanut allergy she said Kiwi was the new bad boy on the block. They were not common say 20 years ago so reaction was rare but because they are a popular easy to access fruit nowadays they are are seeing many more reactions. Some children may still be experiencing kiwi for the first time so possible reaction is unknown-same as the first bee sting. The reaction can be upto 24 hours after ingestion. A child may eat kwi and later at home have a reaction. Would the carer know the child had eaten kiwi?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My husband has an allergy to Kiwi fruit--experiencing swollen lips and tongue and an itchy mouth.

 

We had been eating Kiwi fruit at home, not regularly but not infrequently either when he first experienced this.

 

His reaction has since been triggered by a spoon being used to serve a fruit salad with Kiwi fruit in it and then being used to serve him a dessert. He did not actually eat the Kiwi fruit itself. The reaction was instaneous with him eating the dessert.

 

We are very cautious with Kiwi Fruit!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would be very cautious about any known allergies. However I totally and utterly agree with samwise38- why ban kiwis Just on the off chance that someone may have an allergy to them? Why dont we ban apples or oranges or bananas, or even strawberries? Lots of people have reactions to strawberries. ANY unknown allergic reaction can be dangerous but anyone can be allergic to anything.

Perhaps I am missing something here but I really cannot see why kiwis should be picked on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wasn't suggesting banning the kiwi fruit just wanted your advice, thoughts really as it had been brought up by a staff member that she had been told at a training recently that they can be dangerous for some.

I also agree with the comments on if you ban these where does it end, but as we have children with other allergies to other foods, that we should investigate whether these were safe to provide in our setting.

The evidence does suggest that children already susceptible can possibly have an allergy to these too.

Thank you for all your constructive comments.

Hey ho, it never ends does it. :o

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I personally think the best course of action is to ensure that all staff have had training on how to deal with an allergic reaction, that this is updated regularly and therefore all staff are confident and not fearful of ever having to deal with an allergic reaction to anything within the setting.

 

As young children are spending more and more time within childcare settings the percentage of probability of 'first time' experiences of a multitude of things, including allergic reaction, is becoming more and more probable.

 

Of course policies are in place for known allergies but this policy should also include comment on 'not yet discovered / unknown allergies' and how the setting will be proactive in preparation for dealing with such an event. ( and I don't mean by abolishing all possible causes of allergic reaction). I think the policy should include the settings understanding of the difference between allergic and intolerant, as these different symptoms require differing actions.

 

Peggy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)