Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Puppets

My Reception children have become very interested in creating puppets for the Puppet Show area. I would like to develop there interest, using appropriate materials and how to work this around the 6 areas of learning. Can anyone help me out with some good ideas? Please take in consideration that I am the only adult in a class of 14. Thanks in advance :o !

wooden spoon puppets are nice and easy to make - they can be animals or people with a little imagination and scraps of assorted fabrics and bits. You can pick up cheap wooden spoons in pound shops ( or is that £1.02 shops now the vat has gone up) or Asda used to do ssome for about 25p each. :o

Yes definetly socks, i'm sure all households have that elusive lost sock never to be seen again syndrome.

Felt eyes or the googly stick on ones. Or felt square, make a pattern for them to help cut out, a large darning needle, and embroidery thread and away you go.

Just gave me an idea, perhaps we could make some of these for our "people who help us" children's interest, ooh will have to ask the children see what they think.

Thanks for that. :o

My children have been using toilet paper rolls (I bring them from home since I know we take better care of hygiene than those used at school...LOL). They draw something on thick white paper and stick it on the roll. Then, last Friday, I asked them why not use the puppet show stand and they did so. One of the boys was so creative! He made me laugh so much :o !

Socks? Boy! I did make sock puppets with one of my previous groups! I wonder under what topic. I should look at my stored photos. Thanks for the other ideas as well!

How about drawing around their hands and inventing different characters, sticking them on to lolly sticks to use. I once saw a book about drawing round one's own hand. By just using your index finger and middle finger in the V sign you can draw around your hand and fingers and putting features on the drawing it becomes a rabbit, by using the hand on the side as you would for shadow on the wall type movements you can make a dog with the thumb being the ear, by using the whole hand it can become a peacock with the thumb taking the part of the neck and head and the fingers the fantail.

Hi,

We are doing puppets at the moment as part of our Let's Pretend unit. Some of the things we have done:

- trace around card cut out of matryoshka (or any other person) and cut 2 small circles fir fingers to go through as legs

- cut shapes out of black card, attach to sticks and make shadow puppets eitehr using IWB projector if you have one or working in pairs

as one holds a torch

- draw figures on post-it notes and stick onto finger tips as easy puppets (we did 10 green bottles and 5 Little Ducks this way for Maths)

Have fun,

Saffa

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)