Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Policies To Include In Parents Welcome Pack

toddlermaddness

Happy Half Term Holidays Everyone

Our policies and procedures are now soo big, copying them and passing them to all new parents would be so expensive, time comsuming and a huge waste in paper. I have tried copying them onto CD Rom, but committee dont seem that interested in that idea!

So I would like to know what you think should be included in a small welcome pack and should the whole policy be put into it or just the main points with a note stating 'please see our main policies for more information' or if you would like a copy of the whole policie document please see a member of the team'.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

I put all my policies on a CD-Rom - saves a fortune on paper and printing.

In my welcome pack I have an information sheet, initial child profile and registration paperwork including the emergency medical treatment form. In here I only include the policies that parents need to read before they sign their child up. These are the safeguarding one and the information sharing one, because I have a clause in the registration form to say they have read and understand them. They get the full policy documents when they join!

Hi,

We started in September to e-mail the policies to parents - I have all parents e-mails and it is really easy. I do say however that if parents are unable to access an e-mail account that I can give them a hard copy. We had Mrs O in last week as she was really pleased with this idea, as when she asked a parent how do you know about the settings policies he said, I get them e-mailed.

This would save time in killing all those trees along with time in putting them onto CD.

:o Dot

I've just bought all the staff a pen drive to cut down on printing policies out for review and also for new staff inductions, they are going to have to sign to say if they 'lose' it there will be penalties but it means I can just overwrite anything that is altered so they always have the most up to date information.

Have been ponderring a way of doing this for parents too, in our registration pack there is the reg form, complaints leaflet, info such as healthy lunch boxes, what their child needs at Preschool etc. Policy wise it has the Mission Statement, Safeguerding Policy, Info Sharing, Complaints Policy, Curriculum, Missing Child, First aid, administerring meda, sen, equal opps, admissions and fees policy! I'm sure not all parents read them but they are required to sign acknowledgemnt of most of these!!!! I'm now going to put the rest on cd rom, I do email packs if we have applications from out of area though as these often fall through due to housing etc.

perhaps i need to have a rethink after reading this ...we dont include any! but we do tell the parents where to get them and they all sign that they have seen them! (i dont think i have ever had a parent ask me for a copy of any of them) just thinking that the schools only seem to give out the anti-bullying policy to parents...as a parent i always used to think this gave out the wrong impression!

if we review a policy it is put our for everyone to read after the committee and staff have agreed it.

I'm glad you said that Finleysmaid, we're the same! I'm certain parents wouldn't bother to read them all even if they were e-mailed to them, although they all sign the registration form to say they have! They are on display in the foyer if anyone wants to have a look.

I send out a double sided sheet with a synopsis of the most important policies and then list the other ones. It states that full policies are able to be read, I have 4 copies, but have never had anyone ask for them! I do like the idea of a CD.

I know it's a pain, and a waste of time, and I know for a fact that the parents don't read the ones that they have to sign for! Usually the Fees Policy signage comes up, Parent: I didn't know I still had to pay if I took Jimmy on hoilday, Me: Well here's a copy of your signiture agreeing to our fees policy in which it's clearly stated :o

Somewhere in the Statutory Framework it tells us what policies parents must have, I include these to cover myself.

Edited by Guest

Your not on your own, we don't give these out either but it is something we have been discussing, It is in our Prospectus that they are always available to view at anytime.

Our Prospectus includes our aims, rules, confidentiality, child protection. safeguarding, as well as consent forms, personal details forms which parents have to sign.

We are looking to put them onto a CD, to go in our welcome packs and then parent/carers would sign to say that they have received them.

The staff and Committee work in partnership each year and they are adopted annually at the AGM. :o

well thats the thing moo our parents do sign that they have read them so the onus is on them not us. The contract that they sign with us covers all the fee stuff too and the handbook and the prospuctus...not like we dont tell them then :o

i think the statutory framework says the parents must have access to them which ours do and they are always available

Edited by finleysmaid

I think in this day and age, especially with some parents we have to deal with, it's a case of better safe than sorry!!! I want to know that they've had the best chance to read what they are signing for if anything is going to come back and bite me on the bum! I'd still pup these ones on paper, the rest on cd-rom, no excuses then! Think the arrival/departure policy in there too!!!

well thats the thing moo our parents do sign that they have read them so the onus is on them not us. The contract that they sign with us covers all the fee stuff too and the handbook and the prospuctus...not like we dont tell them then :o

That's true, after a complaint from a particuarly anal parent and consequent CIE visit! I don't think the big O would have let me get away with that!!! Am very cautiuos now, and make sure I cover myself in every direction!!!!

Has anyone heard when OFSTED are being ditched????

sorry! my fault for typing and scoffing cornflakes!!! Complaints, Investigation and Enforcement team. It consist of a unique breed of 'Human Beings' who appear not to live in the same world as us mere mortals, have no experiance of Early Years and yet have powers that are way beyond their abilities to control!

No you don't want them in!!!! They are able to ignore their own policies but pin ours to our foreheads, I was actually read my rights!!! Even though I'm not the registered provider :o Scared me silly, fought them part way and got no where, despite them contradicting themselves at every turn and clearly breaking the rules, I have no respect for OFSTED, especially in light of their recent failings!

I think the idea of a CD rom is a good idea to put into a welcome pack and will try this idea out at our AGM. Thank you for letting me know what policies should be printed out too, very useful to know and will be looking into it more when we go back on Monday!

I also use the cd roms when new committee members join i put all the relevent information onto a cd rom, committee roles, ey2 forms, ofsted link, EYFS bits and all policies so they are aware asap of whats involved. Also that way if they want to print it they can (saves on loads of paper)

• 1 month later...

Our policies and procedures are now soo big, copying them and passing them to all new parents would be so expensive, time comsuming and a huge waste in paper. I have tried copying them onto CD Rom, but committee dont seem that interested in that idea!

So I would like to know what you think should be included in a small welcome pack and should the whole policy be put into it or just the main points with a note stating 'please see our main policies for more information' or if you would like a copy of the whole policie document please see a member of the team'.

Hi - I set up a web site (completely free with Google) and put all the policies on there for parents but I do also give a SHORTFORM document to all new parents which they take away and I ask them to sign the back page and return to me to confirm they have read and understood them. Just include H&S, Safeguarding, Confidentiality, etc main policies. HOPE THAT HELPS. Happy to share a copy if you want. We are a recently OUTSTANDING preschool !! JO

Hi - I set up a web site (completely free with Google) and put all the policies on there for parents but I do also give a SHORTFORM document to all new parents which they take away and I ask them to sign the back page and return to me to confirm they have read and understood them. Just include H&S, Safeguarding, Confidentiality, etc main policies. HOPE THAT HELPS. Happy to share a copy if you want. We are a recently OUTSTANDING preschool !! JO

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)