Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Development Fears Over Half Of English Five-year-olds

Guest LornaW

Woke up to hear this conversation on radio 4 and I had read somewhere that the EYFS review was suggesting cuts in the 6 areas to PSE, CLL and PD. This report coming out now seems to defend this idea.

I am sure we could all have told the government that the difference between the have's and the have nots has a detrimental effect on outcomes for them way into later life!!!

It is an interesting article none the less http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12423543

Lorna

Well yes, we could have told them that reading to your child is crucial!

I'm a bit suspicious of that graph at the end, showing that those with the highest income do best in all areas. I don't think that's true at all, I've come across a number of children from very well off backgrounds who struggle to behave properly because boundaries haven't been set.

Interesting reading though ...

I also don't feel that outsourcing bedtime stories is valuable either! Bedtime stories are about far more than have a book read to you!

Can you IMAGINE the CRB checks you'd have to have in place for that one! And what about the cuddling element of storytime? It's gotta be family really, hasn't it?

I would say its far more important to support families in developing better parenting skills across the board. But wasn't that part of the remit of Childrens Centres in any case? Are they suggesting that some new initiative is rolled out which is essentially the same as the old but rebadged and no doubt costing/wasting more tax payer money in the process?

it does seem to bring into question why there is a possibility that sure start centres are to be scrapped. though i am getting rather fed up of reading reports that say what we already know! perhaps the government should back the FSF and just ask us all online :o we could get paid for it!! xD shame that when there are positive messages in there it is the negative ones that grab the headlines.

Can you IMAGINE the CRB checks you'd have to have in place for that one! And what about the cuddling element of storytime? It's gotta be family really, hasn't it?

I heard on the news this morning the government want to scale down the amount of people who have to have a CRB. They cited the case of parents who agree the school run between them having to have one. :o

I heard on the news this morning the government want to scale down the amount of people who have to have a CRB. They cited the case of parents who agree the school run between them having to have one. :o

I would be very happy for them to scale down the CRB checks as they are really not worth the paper they are wriiten on! A CRB is only as good as the day it was issued or if the perpetrator has been charged, we need to ensure other systems are in place if we are to protect children. I also agree that if you have a CRB it should be transferable to other establishments! A CRB check did not stop the two most recent offences against children did it?

Lorna

A CRB check did not stop the two most recent offences against children did it?

No, but what we'll never know is how many would-be offenders the system has prevented gaining access to children for the purposes of building a trusting relationship with children and their families which could be exploited much later.

I'm glad though that the CRBs are going to be portable - so long as there is a mechanism for checking that the applicant/volunteer hasn't offended in the meantime.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)