Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Giving Up - Stressed!

Guest jenpercy

Guest jenpercy

I thought I would be going on for years - I'm 61, therefore able to retire but never wanted to. I thought I would just pull out to the backroom - but my setting just isn't viable3 - with my office I pay £50 for 4 hours after-school.

So I have decided to close after the summer holidays. OK this is stressful enough, as I can't see me getting a job in this financial climate.

I also have to find around £6,000 to cover overdue rent and redundancies, when we only just break even. I have got all the stock to sell off, but I rent a garage which is full, there is some in my loft, my own garage and loads of stuff on the premises, which I have to start sorting out from now cos it would probably take months just to tip it, let alone sell it. So I will be working weekends to sell on Ebay and car boots - all without alerting the parents as yet.

I don't want to alarm the parents and I know that some childminders won't have spaces until September anyway, but I can't take the risk of parents leaving too soon as then I would have to bring forward the end date. i am keeping going as long as we cover our expenses as this gives me a chance to raise money - not least from those parents who are behind with fees. Experience shows that once they go, you can't get the money back.

Social services owe us some money - although I they failed to pay some one year that I despaIR OF SEENG AGAIN.

Anyone want shed loads of tissue paper at a reasonable price!!!

Really sad post Jenpercy. It does seem that larger settings are really having a hard time at the moment. Why don't you become a childminder? If you're only doing before and after school then the money's really quite good. (8 kids clearing £3 - 4 and hour?!). At least you;ll know the ones you'd want in your home.

And it may pay to list your goodies on here to save the ebay commission.

All the very best of luck.

Honey

Oh jenpercy how I recognise the dilemma. In the end I decided that I had to tell the parents about my decision early because I couldn't face the idea of taking on new children knowing that I would be closing and would be unable to keep them until they went to school. Obviously I couldn't tell prospective parents that we would be closing without telling my current parents, so in the end I felt it was the only ethical thing to do.

Of course I am less vulnerable to parents withdrawing their children before I close because they are going to school in September, however we do have a couple of families who are considering deferring their child's entry to school, so it would make sense if those families found alternative childcare for their children so they don't end up going somewhere new for one term, and then onto school from there.

My heart goes out to you - I know only too well the emotions you must be feeling having taken the decision to close. Take some time for it to sink in, start to take some action to recover those old debts and have a think about what resources you need to dump and start to do a bit of life laundry. At least that way you'll have a clear idea of how much stock you can actually sell and begin to think about pricing it all up.

When do you think you'll tell parents that you're closing?

Jenpercy, when you say that it isn't viable any more, could someone else be persuaded to take on your setting and do slightly different hours etc. become a committee run or privately run setting, have you been able to explore other ways of finishing up? I know this can be difficult if you don't want to let the cat out of the bag too soon, - not knowing what kind of setting you are it's difficult to offer up any kind of alternatives to research, do you have any advisory staff you can consult at your local authority? Are there any grants you can apply for to keep you sustainable?

aaww Just really want to echo what others have said...such a sad post...let time do its thing, you are doing what is best and what will be will be......sending a hug... :oxD

Oh and what I meant to add but forgot to, in respect of bad debts was that I had a visit from one of my ex-parents this week who had heard that I was closing and brought me in £100 to pay off some of his outstanding bill, saying he didn't want to let me down. That was an unexpected bonus!

This is a sad post, but I fear perhaps not the last of this kind possibly. Big hugs to you.

Oh and what I meant to add but forgot to, in respect of bad debts was that I had a visit from one of my ex-parents this week who had heard that I was closing and brought me in £100 to pay off some of his outstanding bill, saying he didn't want to let me down. That was an unexpected bonus!
Not only a bonus but a chance to renew your belief in the good of people. How lovely.

Guest jenpercy
So sorry that you are having to close. I presume this is a result of the changing admissions to school ?

We are an after school club and pay £50 for 3 hours after school as we rent the Gym of an Adult Ed college. We owe £2,500 in rent and the I would need £3,000 to pay for redundancies. for the term part of February I have around £30 to pay any bills and save for outstanding money, although I hope for some casual bookings to come in to help that. If we lose any children at all, I will have to stop paying myself any wages.

I'm in Essex - and will eventually have a large climbing frame and a bouncy castle to sell.

going down to my garage to sort some stuff out this weekend.

Jen, it's worth asking your CDO about help with the cost of redundancies. One group very close to ours closed last summer and didn't have enough money to pay their redundancies, but the CDO was able to help out with some money from the PSLA local funds, a donation from the Parish council and the group's landlord, plus some that they wouldn't say where they got it from, but it sorted things out for them. Good luck with it all............make sure you get fair prices for your equipment.........again, your CDO might be able to help with this, by putting the word around other settings?