Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Activities To Explore Weight?

Help ! Has any body got any interesting ideas to explore weight? we have scales to

explore in maths area and will be cooking next week using real scales - wanted to do something a bit different x

Playing on a see-saw/ rocking boat is quite good for comparing heavier and lighter.

I am thinking floating and sinking, although I am not very scientific and I don't know how exact a link there is between weigh and floatability!

Dropping stones and feathers to see the difference in how they fall.

Use your scales in role play (fruit and veg shop) or in messy play ( with lentils etc). Will have a think and see if can think of anything useful! x

Problems such as all the staff refusing to come within 2 metres of them possibly! :o

xD:(:(

We have 'balance scales' available on the 'playdough table' and in the sand area.......

Could you 'wrap' some items....some light.....some heavy - let the children 'feel' the weight and try to guess what might be in the packages? :(

xD:(:(

We have 'balance scales' available on the 'playdough table' and in the sand area.......

Could you 'wrap' some items....some light.....some heavy - let the children 'feel' the weight and try to guess what might be in the packages? :(

Oh now really Sunnyday - that was my answer!

How about "tricking" them a little and wrapping something really big up which weighs very little and something small that is very heavy and 'messing' with their ideas and pre-conceptions :o

How about a role play set in an airport? They could pack their cases and then bring them to check in and see if they are 'allowed' on the plane.

I am a regular Ryanair customer in case you hadn't guessed. :o

Seriously though, airplane role play is fun - lots of stuff on folding, shapes, cases, weights, put 2 rows of seats for your aeroplane, have air stewards giving out food/drinks etc.

I like to introduce balance scales by filling 2 shopping bags, one heavy one light. When they pick them both up, they do exactly what the balance scales do, it really helps them to understand that the heavy side goes down.

You could always weigh different Monster poo! Compare weights, mould a poo that is heavier/lighter etc. Kids love this, anything to do with poo. I'm doing dinosaur poo this time round to fir with our topic.

Sorry, not meaning to sound critical but as a science person I would just like to mention I don't think you should really relate floating and sinking to weight. Although it does appear to work and you can even do activities that 'prove' heavy things sink and light things float, you would actually be setting up a misconception that would have to be undone later in their schooling. I would teach this seperate to weight then you can talk about huge ships and make paper boats which allow heavy items to float.

Edited by Guest

Hi i am new to this forum....and so far have founf some really wonderful idears to use for next week in my setting.....thank you all so much i hope i can soon start to post here and maybe help out XX

I would also try and give chidlren opportunities to experience 'heavy' things for themselves..moving logs or bricks around in wheelbarrows for example. Great one for outdoors, and a good one for problems solving and cooperation.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)