Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Quiet Time?!

Dear All,

Just a quick question really........do you think that to have a 'quiet time' in a preschool group once in the morning and once in the afternoon which lasts for 1 HOUR is really acceptable for children aged 3-5years??? This is something that has recently been introduced in our setting and I feel uncomfortable with it......does anyone else do this??

Jellytots

It does seem quite a long time and to have it twice seems a bit excessive. A quiet area always on offer would be better so they can dip in and out if they want.

Dear All,

Just a quick question really........do you think that to have a 'quiet time' in a preschool group once in the morning and once in the afternoon which lasts for 1 HOUR is really acceptable for children aged 3-5years??? This is something that has recently been introduced in our setting and I feel uncomfortable with it......does anyone else do this??

Jellytots

What happens during quiet time?

What happens during quiet time?

That made me smile Panders. I've been at settings who have a 'quiet time'. It was so satff could gossip. :o

I suppose it depends on what goes on really. Do the children get with their keyworker and discuss things or play games, or have show and tell? I cant really see an hour would be a suitable amount of time to be asking young children to sit quietly. Its where bad behaviour comes from in my experience.

Sounds odd to me.

It did make me fondly remember doing private reading with my English classes once a week, though, an hour of peace on a Friday afternoon to do some marking. :o I think the kids enjoyed it as much as I did to be honest, sometimes it's nice to have a bit of quiet.

I did always feel a bit guilty about not actively teaching, but that was only 1 hour a week and not 2 hours a day!!

I do think that one hour is a very long time, I would find that difficult to do myself !! In our setting we have a self made teepee with a cushion in and soft fairy lights that the children can go into if they choose to.Also the story corner with the carpet and scatter cushions is an area where the children can go to in order to remain quiet.

Crikey! 10 minutes would be hard enough for us to achieve! What is the rationale behind this little gem???

We too have a lovely 'quiet area' with a choice of soft seating, canopied corner and have just added the same outside too. The children can then choose to take themselves for a bit of peace, can't imagine them having quiet time imposed and for so long. We don't even insist that all children join group story/song time at the end of each session!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)