Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Swine Flu

cybertwin

Good old Daily Mail!! We're all gonna die! (but Cheryl Cole's got a new man so that's ok)

Sorry ... but the news has been that the swine flu numbers are on the up ... but that's no different to any year when the Winter flu bug hits. Of course we, working with vunerable groups - young children / pregnant women, must be vigilant. Aren't we always vigilant? particularly in our profession? sickness bugs, chicken pox, measles etc etc can all be extremely dangerous if not handled correctly but it is part of our duty of care to watch out for our children and the Partnership with Parents requires us to keep families informed of changes to health patterns within our settings (as if we wouldn't anyway!)

Glad for the reminder tho' cybertwin - thanks

pw x

I wonder if it is a good idea to have staff vaccinated? I might look into it as the cost of staff being off is tremendous.

I wonder how many people had it last year and are immune this year. Can you be immune if you had it last year?

Interesting topic!!!

I wonder if it is a good idea to have staff vaccinated? I might look into it as the cost of staff being off is tremendous.

I must admit I was thinking about that too - there are only four of us in the team and absolutely no money to pay for agency cover (even if they'd come to us!).

I had mine at local Asda for £8.00 at beginning of the season.. it is included in the usual annual flu jab this year which I pay to get anyway, at that cost I would rather be vaccinated and have a reduced chance of catching it .

Could be worth considering getting all staff vaccinated annually - it may not stop all risks of flu but could help reduce them.. perhaps ask staff if they had considered it, some may pay for it themselves.

and it is a jab!

I must admit I was thinking about that too - there are only four of us in the team and absolutely no money to pay for agency cover (even if they'd come to us!).

I had been thinking the same thing.........so presented myself at the pharmacy that is attached to my surgery (this morning) - thought that I would have to 'explain' why I wanted the flu jab - but no - it was just a case of 'stand in the line madam'! :(

The charge was £15.00 - wonder why it was more expensive......

Anyway I'm really pleased that I have had it done and will offer to pay for my staff if they feel that they would like to do the same. We too are a very small team and of course we are expecting the big O any day - would very much like all to be there for that! :o I also feel that I want to 'protect' the children in my group - I didn't want to get it and pass it on to any of them - although I know that in reality it is far more likely to be the other way round! xD

I did ask the pharmacist if he was doing a lot of 'private' jabs and he said yes and that lots of parents are taking their children in - especially under 5's..........

Our local surgery is doing anyone who asks it seems. My other half took my 2 non-eligible children up to be done as a message was sent saying they were offering all children the jab and he asked about where to pay to get it done himself. She simply told him she would do it then for him. I am going to mention the idea to our staff as the last thing we need too is someone off ill. I'm also planing to be a bit more "keep them at home and warm" with children who look very under the weather as we tend to have a few who dose them with calpol half an hour before they come in!

I work at Lloyds Pharmacy part time and they are £7.95 at the mo-only undercut by few pence of course. Its easy to do, need to fill out short questionnaire and make sure you feel fit and healthy on the day of jab, only available to 18yrs+ and our pharmacy is by appointment as our pharmacist doesn't work full time, takes about 15mins

Yes you can get flu even if immunised last season as each years flu vaccine is changed based on which was the most prevalent strain the previous flu season hence why we now have swine flu incorporated, it won't guarantee not catching it as there are so many different strains around but it probably is wise if working with a vunerable group and are small team. I did hear something about businesses being offered a discount if buying for workforce so worth checking if somewhere locally would offer this, don't know if it depends on how many in workforce but worth a check