Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Computer Scam?

sunnyday

Wondered if anyone else has had a phone call - from someone telling them that there are files on their home PC that are going to cause harm to their 'machine' and offering to 'clean them up'?

I had one a couple of months ago.........I was completely taken aback and found myself listening for a while.........until my 'sensible head' took over and I hung up.......

Another one two days ago.......I was quite 'up front' and said "well this is just a scam isn't it"........fake concern from the caller - he couldn't imagine why I would think such a thing!

My daughter-in-law had one yesterday........

We havent got a land line so we miss a lot of junk calls, but that sounds like a good way to give away passwords and personal details.

I'd phone your phone company and see what they say. Have you registered with the telephone preference service? Its a good way of cutting out unwanted calls.

We havent got a land line so we miss a lot of junk calls, but that sounds like a good way to give away passwords and personal details.

I'd phone your phone company and see what they say. Have you registered with the telephone preference service? Its a good way of cutting out unwanted calls.

Funnily enough - yes we have registered with the telephone preference service - so I'm not clear how this happening.........after hanging up - I have tried 1471 - but you just get the jolly 'caller withheld their number'.........

I'm not 'worried' for myself - once I 'came too' on the first occasion - I soon recognised it for what it was - as you say a very good way of getting passwords etc. - my reason for posting was partly out of interest but mainly to warn others.......

Yes this is happening under many guises.

Often its 'hello Mr/Mrs xxx I'm calling from windows you need to turn on your computer as you have a virus'

Tell them you dont have a computer and that puzzles them!

Websites say that the caller can get into your computer and control it themselves if you switch it on and follow their instructions.

The people at Windows wouldn't know you had a virus and wouldn't spend the time or money phoning the millions of people who may have one and out of the kindness of their hearts help you rid your PC of it.

Edited by Guest

It's well worth while warning people that this thing is going on at the moment. They used to do it by just having a pretty obvious pop up on people's PCs but have obviously not been getting the amount of business they used to.

Put the phone down, or if you don't feel able to do that, just tell them you don't know what they're talking about. You've never had a computer and wouldn't know how to use one. They have no idea either way.

not had any calls like that, but once registered with telephone preference service you just have to tell any cold caller and they will quickly hang up , in case you report them .

there is also a scam in our area where a "delivery company" put a note through the door saying sorry to have missed you but could you call xxxx number to arrange a new delivery...this then takes anyone who calls it to a premium service where you hang on for ages and can cost hundreds of pounds for nothing... you end up with the bill they get the money.. so far they have been unable to shut this one down seems they keep changing the number - keep getting reminders through neighbourhood watch not to call back anyone unless you know them and are expecting a delivery.. this time of year people get caught thinking someone has sent a gift!

we get very few cold calls because we have always been x directory and our number is blocked to the 1471 check, you would get the withheld number message.. easy to do we just asked BT to block it. Only ones who get the number are emergency services when you call them..

This reminds me, I had a virus warning email yesterday you may want to alert yourselves to.

You may receive a an email subjected 'Postcard from Hallmark' with an attachment - probably from an email address you know. A postcard image will appear if opened and it will wipe your C drive.

I do like the idea of telling them that I don't have a computer! xD

I have also thought that this might be a good time to just put the phone down without disconnecting and leaving them talking to fresh air for an hour or two! :o My family all have our mobile numbers so I wouldn't be concerned about anyone else trying to get through!

I love that idea Rea! Yes I've said the 'I'm registered not to get these annoying calls' and that does the trick. I've also said 'There's someone at the door, just a moment' then put it down for a minute or two and then picked it up again and said 'this won't take a minute dear' a few times - they soon push off!

My friends hubby used to let the double glazing people say their whole piece while he muttered 'oh I yes', 'interseting', you dont say'. Then he'd ask them if it mattered that he rented? ! He doesnt but it wound them up nicely.

I know they're only people trying to earn a living but its so annoying, quite glad we lost our phone.

I screen my calls - the answer machine soon shuts most cold callers up and those that know me just shout hello at the answering machine and I soon pick up, its a pain but I found TPS didnt stop all unwanted phone calls.

Rea - I know someone else who would keep the window sales people talking for ages even let them come out and measure the whole house ready to give a full quote and then he'd say "Ive only got £50 in the bank will that cover it?"

I have had the bogus problem with the pc callers twice - both times I told them my partner is a computer techie and he deals with any issues etc - both times they hung up. As for the Telephone Preference service , I was told it only works for UK companies not those from abroad as it is unenforceable outside the UK . :o

When my caller display says 'international' I ignore it these days for just that reason

We have so many of our children from overseas who go back to home countries for a week or so and phone us up that we can't do that at work. Haven't had the calls at home.

Yes, it's not appropriate for everyone. We've some Australian friends who, if they are ignored on the first ring, will ring back straight away, so I know it's a 'real' call. Bit there's always the chance that I miss a real one

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

hahahahahahahahaha great answer. Shame my mum metions the computer, shes not very good on the phone.

The main pc ended up with a virus, hoping it gets fixed because the job application stuff is on that one, never got the chance to back it up. Will have redo the stuff over the weekend because I am busy applying for jobs in that area.