Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Results 2010

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12009209

Does anyone else feel that every time that some progress might be being made with resepct to EY, some Department of Education spokesman comes along and misses the point completely?

I don't envy Claire Tickel doing a review of EYFS, is anyone going to listen to her findings when ministers have such an ignorant view of child development and early education?

I dont think they know anything bout child development. Most practitioners will tell you the goals they are measuring are far too high at such an early age. But sadly due to govermneny pressure a lot of practitioners try to concentrate on these in the Early Years and not the fine/gross motor skills to help with dressing and undressing and pre-writing skills.

Have the government ever thought that maybe boys brains are just not programmed to write as well as girls at such a young age and instead of putting pressure on boys they should be adjusting the curriculum to suit all children.

Edited by bubblejack

Have the government ever thought that maybe boys brains are just not programmed to write as well as girls at such a young age and instead of putting pressure on boys they should be adjusting the curriculum to suit all children.

Exactly what I was thinking. My eldest couldnt write his name at 5 but still got loads of GCSEs and A levels.

If I was a parent of a young child now and was being told 'could do better', I'd be inclinded to say 'so what!'

So much pressure is unnatural.

so glad I am not a parent of a five year old being led to believe they are underachieving because they cannot write their name. and how many of them believe all this and adds pressure to the children at home..

How other countries cope where children do not start until 6 or 7 is obviously missed.

and yes I too had a 5 year old who could not write his name, and at 7 still had issues reading... only to go on to do very well later on in his schooling... ( 4 good science A levels, a degree and a good job!)

I was speaking to a mom yesterday at playgroup who is worried that if she doesnt send her daughter to a nursery attatched to achool she'll miss out.

'They teach them to line up and write their name and I dont want her to be behind'.

Good grief!

Certainly the whole obsession with boys writing this early is silly.

But ... it should worry us that children from deprived backgrounds lag behind. Not that it is our fault, but it is wrong that children's educational achievement is still linked so closely to their background, despite all the efforts made in recent years.

I'm not sure what the answer is (how do you 'get' to the parents and help them learn how to support their children?) but as an educator it does worry me.

Perhaps the extended EY entitlement will do something to close this gap?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)