Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas Ideas

Hi all

Im running out of ideas to do during free flow for adult initiated and for grouptime which is linked to christma. So far we have done snoq pictures with chalk, painting christmas pictures, making 3d santas, wrapping presents, ICE, cutting snowflakes, making stockings, made calenders and xmas cards, we wrapped instruments got the children to guess which instrument it was, read the christmas story.

Has anyone got anything different they have done?

• 11 months later...
Hi all

Im running out of ideas to do during free flow for adult initiated and for grouptime which is linked to christma. So far we have done snoq pictures with chalk, painting christmas pictures, making 3d santas, wrapping presents, ICE, cutting snowflakes, making stockings, made calenders and xmas cards, we wrapped instruments got the children to guess which instrument it was, read the christmas story.

Has anyone got anything different they have done?

HI!

I am getting mine to wrap their pressents with a small gift inside for their friends. We are then having circletime in which they take it in turns to give there chosen friend their gift. I think its a great idea to watch the childrens expressions when their gifts are being opened.

We had some offcuts from a large Christmas tree. The children smothered them in pva, then put them in a tray of glitter and added some coloured foam stars, christmas shapes. These have been put into christmassy paper cups with some water soaked oasis block inside to keep the christmas tree fresh.

We also have a cheap artificial pink christmas tree which the children can decorate each day as many times as the like, they hang on gift tags, shatterproof decorations, they make their own card fairy to go on the top.

They have some pine cones they can glue and glitter or paint which we hang on yet more of the christmas tree offcuts which we have stuck to one of the display boards.

We had some offcuts from a large Christmas tree. The children smothered them in pva, then put them in a tray of glitter and added some coloured foam stars, christmas shapes. These have been put into christmassy paper cups with some water soaked oasis block inside to keep the christmas tree fresh.

We also have a cheap artificial pink christmas tree which the children can decorate each day as many times as the like, they hang on gift tags, shatterproof decorations, they make their own card fairy to go on the top.

They have some pine cones they can glue and glitter or paint which we hang on yet more of the christmas tree offcuts which we have stuck to one of the display boards.

Hope you don't mind me asking, How do you attach the pine cones to string to hang? not found a solution that works for me yet. thx

What about making christmas playdough with them. Our children make our playdough each week adding lots of glitter and sparkle for christmas.

You could add christmas scent if appropriate to do so.

OOPS DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED THERE.I

IT HAS GONE IN THE WRONG POST HELP PLEASE WISE ONES.

Edited by bridger

Yes that is a tricky one! We use ordinary black cotton thread and wind it around the top "branches" of the pine cone and then where it would have been attached to the tree, if particularly stubborn, then a little pva glue to make it stay in place can help

What about making christmas playdough with them. Our children make our playdough each week adding lots of glitter and sparkle for christmas.

You could add christmas scent if appropriate to do so.

OOPS DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED THERE.I

IT HAS GONE IN THE WRONG POST HELP PLEASE WISE ONES.

Hopefully this is the right thread now. :o

Help or encourage a child to cut strips of wrapping paper or magazines to make into paper chains - much more personal than commercial ones!

Cut triangles of wrapping paper and overlay to make Christmas trees - nice if you use contrasting paper. Lots of chat opportunities about 'same' and 'different'

Cut up a Christmas card and make a jigsaw to challenge someone to put together - after they've had a go themselves of course!

Buy a cheap bauble and decorate it yourself, either with glue and glitter or tear up bits of wrapping paper or magazines and dip them in pva and decoupage it.

Make or buy biscuits and decorate them, either as snowflakes, or just randomly like most of ours ended up. A little bag of these would make a lovely gift for a friend or relative.

Make a table centrepiece by decorating some twigs with glue and glitter, and decorating them with threaded popcorn or sweets.

Hi, my class (reception) have made their own wrapping paper using stamps and glittery paint - we are then going to make and decorate biscuits for them to wrap and take home,

Hope this helps :o

Hi!

We are going to try and make our own baubles this week - saw it shared on someone's facebook page though sadly cannot find link again to share - take a length of foil, glue a ribbon loop middle top and then scrunch the foil into a ball around the ribbon. Then you keep scrunching foil pieces around it until you have a larger ball. Roll in PVA on one half, then place in glitter. The post then said to wait for it to dry before doing the other half but I am tempted to try it straight after for time reasons....will see how it goes!!!

The other fab idea I have seen is to use Christmas dough cutters and fill them with glue: http://playathomemom3.blogspot.com/2011/12...e-catchers.html

Also check out the ideas on here: http://www.playbasedlearning.com.au/2011/1...as-is-a-coming/ (I love this blog!)

:-) Miffychick

Seems a lot of us are interested in Play Based Learning in Australia, they do have some lovely ideas and often link to other blogs which are fascinating...

one of which is this one, if you want to make a nativity scene... have a look as all these different ways they have been made...

Sun hats & Wellie Boots - 12 of our Favourite Nativity Crafts & Activities

Do have a browse around that one, lots of ideas

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)