Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Clearing Snow From Playground

This has really annoyed me so I am just offloading on here so I can get down to work and focus!

Here in Somerset we've had a light dusting of snow, just a centimetre or so, nothing major. On dropping off my daughter at school, I saw that the playground was still covered in this light dusting, with a pathway gritted to the school buildings.

I said to the school manager 'shall I go and get my shovel, I'm happy to clear it' and of course was quoted health and safety and of course I couldn't do that, and the children would have to stay inside at playtimes.

Now what really winds me up is that this snow is unlikely to clear all week, because it is so cold. That means my children will be forced to miss playtimes for a week because of so called health and safety. I have a good mind to ring in and say I am not sending them into school as they will be trapped inside by this 'terrible' snowfall we have.

Why on earth can't they grit, or get someone from the council in to clear it, or just let us willing parents do it by ourselves - I'd be happy to sign a waiver!! Yes, I appreciate that we need to take care and that snow and ice are dangerous, but this seems completely out of proportion to me. (I also suspect there's any element of staff not wanting to supervise in the cold!)

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :o

Edited by Guest

Aha, how things change. I recall some years back being phoned by our school head and told to bring a shovel as we all had to muck in and clear away the snow from the paths because it 'wasn't the caretaker's job'. Don't recall seeing it in my JD either but there you go.

But I do also recall at the same school, Id let the nursery chidlren out into our play area in a few cm of snow, only to be hauled into the office and told how dare I when the other chidlren are having to stay inside and are claiming its unfair that the nursery are outside and they're not.

When it comes to snow and ice, sometimes I just don't think we can win whatever we do.

Aha, how things change. I recall some years back being phoned by our school head and told to bring a shovel as we all had to muck in and clear away the snow from the paths because it 'wasn't the caretaker's job'. Don't recall seeing it in my JD either but there you go.

But I do also recall at the same school, Id let the nursery chidlren out into our play area in a few cm of snow, only to be hauled into the office and told how dare I when the other chidlren are having to stay inside and are claiming its unfair that the nursery are outside and they're not.

When it comes to snow and ice, sometimes I just don't think we can win whatever we do.

The poor staff at our school are doing just this, some are at the car park gate as they have closed it for safety!!!

But i have just witnessed the scariest thing ever, our school is a new build so its first snow, dropped my mindees in their yard and was waiting to take my reception child in when there was a huge avalanche from the roof into yard, parents were screaming as they were not sure if children were under it, kids were crying as they had got a fright (year 1), the office staff came out and closed main gates so we had to use main entrance, i have just stopped shaking, if they had of been my children i would have turned around and came home, i ran around the other yard to make sure my other 3 were ok which thankfully they were :o , the roof has about 12 -16 inches of snow and there is still huge amounts of it, the staff know that the heating will cause it to fall, i am so worried for the childre and the staff xD

I have always been advised that if I grit the path I'm accepting that I know it is dangerous. If I leave it, and someone slips then I'm not liable, for some obscure reason. I have to say, I did clear the path to the main doors this morning, and completely cleaned it and salted it, just so that folk weren't traipsing snow in.

I have always been advised that if I grit the path I'm accepting that I know it is dangerous. If I leave it, and someone slips then I'm not liable, for some obscure reason. I have to say, I did clear the path to the main doors this morning, and completely cleaned it and salted it, just so that folk weren't traipsing snow in.

......... yes that was my belief- until I was told 'but it is obvious that there is snow/ice there and you have made no attempt to make it safe - so therefore it is your fault if someone slips over'!!!!!!

Can't win either way! Best to use common sense as you did Cait.

HSE myths here

Take alook at this- sometimes I just want to scream!!!!!!!!

and here!!!

"Danger can never be overcome without taking risks.” – Latin Proverb

Looks like it's time to get the cotton wool out again!!

Children in Helsinki play outside in temperatures of down to minus 8 and no one says it's dangerous or too cold- they just dress properly!!

Lets get a grip shall we!!

Edited by surfer

......... yes that was my belief- until I was told 'but it is obvious that there is snow/ice there and you have made no attempt to make it safe - so therefore it is your fault if someone slips over'!!!!!!

Can't win either way! Best to use common sense as you did Cait.

I think it's the 'obviousness' that impels people to take care, whereas if I've cleared it and it's re-frozen as black ice, but looks clear and someone falls, then it's my fault for not doing it properly.

(Damned if you do, and damned if you don't)