Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Snow

Hi. I'm in the north east and we have a good 6 to 8 inches of snow. It took me a lot longer to get to work than usual.

When do I turn around and say it's too risky? The schools around us are currently open but on the opposite side of the river they are closing

Hi, we had this issue last year like everyone else.

I ended up speaking to our LEA, if they make the decision that you should close, then you still end up getting funding. It depends a bit I suppose on whether your staff can walk in or not and how rural you are. Our staff have to drive and some come down some very difficult unsalted lanes so we had to say that we couldn't open.

We also put together an emergency closure policy and set up a text service for parents. You need to think about whether you are going to pay staff if you clsoe (not sure if you're PVI?)

Here's our emergency closure policy and procedures in case it helps:

Emergency_Closure_Procedures__Brief_.doc

Emergency_Closure_Policy___updated_Jan_2010___no_names.doc

All but one of our staff walk to work... so we don't close. In Suffolk, the desicion to close is down to the individual school (well, I suppose an earthquake or other disaster would be different).

We're PVI and we would not get funding money if we chose to close. We had a lot fewer children in with the snow last winter but were fourunate that our own childcare issues weren't a problem - we operated on reduced staff as we had reduced numbers in, and there are only 3 of us with primary school age children.

Saying all that, in Suffolk, we don't often get snow days. I think last winter was the first time either of my boys had schools closed for snow, and elder son is in Year 10 now...

We have finally got the snow we were promised and we could all get there so mostly i stay open regardless of what schools in our area are doing BUT we had no heating today so had to close

We wewre out in snow but have truble warming uop when back in and drying clothes free flow limited which was not that good

Suer sorry to hear you had no heating we dd but pretty useless cancelled Toddler session this afternoon.

We open if we can but staff all live local as long as schools are open we are ok otherwise too many staff children makes it unsafe for pre-schoolers

Have 5.5inches at the moment and its still coming down, hopefully will stop soon.

There were a few tiny flakes last night/this morning as I went to bed and when I woke up there was a light dusting everywhere. We went for a walk to the church and then up to the field we walk through to get to the woods but the children were very disappointed that there wasn't enough snow to make good snowballs with. Maybe tomorrow...?

Grumpy, moody, because i had to decide to close today and hate having to do it. After travelling myself from one side of our village to the other side of the town and back, which took an hour and was quite treacherous, i then had to look at safety of all including staff, children and families.

I so wanted to go out and play with them all and make snowpeople and snowballs. :(

Never mind tomorrows another day and lets hope it will be okay. :o

My question is if the majority of our children are funded how do we stand with regard to this.

Our most closest school opened but the majority of the schools closed which many of my staff's children attend.

I also made my decision based on having enough level 3's in to work to EYFS standards.

If anyone knows the answer to this i would be very grateful.

Thanks in anticipation of a reply. xD

Bridger I think the only people who will be able to tell you definitively about your funding are those responsible in your Local Authority. Here in Windsor and Maidenhead we have never been asked to return funding for snow days, nor have we been asked to report when we have closed.

It is frustrating when you know you're missing out on such fun with the children. We break up next Thursday and I really don't want to miss out on all the Christmas preparations, learning our songs for our Christmas performance and so on. I'd like enough snow to make it fun, but not so much that staff and children can't get to nursery!

I am in the NE too and the snow is about a foot deep. We have remained open yet the school next door was closed yesterday. Difficult when we are a PVI as parents need to have care to get to work. We took 3 staff in yesterday and took 2 hours to get there but local girls were wonderful walking to work to get open and clear paths. If we close which we never have in the 10 years of running nurseries it would be because of freak weather but have to say Monday was the worst I have seen it in the NE. Bit better today but so COLD!!!

You've just read my mind Suer!

I have just decided to close early today (3 instead of 6 or when last child is collected) due to weather and schools all closing by the hour. Luckily some staff are on foot and have offered to stay on to cover for those stuck in the snow.

Was wondering about pay - will be interested to see what others do - never been in this situation before...

if we decide to close then i think staff should be paid but many large firms do not pay or make them take holiday or time in leui but if we are open and staff dont make it in then no pay?? trouble is i feel i do need to refund to parents who have paid

so if i pay staff i am not covered by fees although still covered with neg-sorry waffling now cos really i want to go christmas shopping and cant get any where

blue water is on my door step so close and yet so far :)

We i think still recieve the NEG but do you refund fees if you close and how many of you pay staff?

Hi Sue - sorry to hear about your heating problems.......brrrr!

We have had this discussion before - but here goes.........I refund fees and I make every effort to pay staff too.......it is of course hard to balance the books xD

Can't believe that we have this amount of snow so early in the year and the forecast is not looking good either :(:o

I don't make a decision to close lightly......

I have never (so far) been asked to pay back NEG......I would site H&S grounds if I was pushed on this.....

if we decide to close then i think staff should be paid but many large firms do not pay or make them take holiday or time in leui but if we are open and staff dont make it in then no pay?? trouble is i feel i do need to refund to parents who have paid

so if i pay staff i am not covered by fees although still covered with neg-sorry waffling now cos really i want to go christmas shopping and cant get any where

blue water is on my door step so close and yet so far :)

Ah - a bit of post-crossing there! :o

i have paid staff before does mean we out of pocket a little i dont begrudge paying them they work so hard and work at times without being paid, bless them