Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help With The Salad Spinner

Fredbear

Well after reading the fantastic posts on using a salad spinner for abstract art we thought we would give it a go for a christmas card.

I don't know what we are doing wrong but we put the paper in the bottom , poured on paint and spun, nothing, we put the paper in the cage as someone previously posted and poured in paint and spun and spun and spun, by this time my arm ached, took the lid off and just two blobs, so come on all you great people what exactly are we not doing right. xD:o

My understanding of the salad spinner in this...

As well as the salad spinner you have two or three other little dishes each with a different colour liquid paint in, in each pot you have one or two marbles of different sizes -

using a tea spoon, a child scoops up one, two or three marbles of their choice and drops it/them into the salad spinner (which has a circle of paper already inside) -

the child, then uses the handle and turns and turns - hey presto! when opened you should have a splatter pattern. As well as a creative activity children have used fine motor skills, engaged in language regarding size of marbles etc.

Could be your paint is too thick and doesn't move very easily - never used marbles, so can't answer for that method. What type of paper are you using? Thick painting type paper maybe too stodgy - we just used ordinary A4 copier paper.

Hi - one of most successful activities - we use ordinary A4 pre-cut into circles and we squirt the paint straight out of the bottle into the spinner - then just spin ! Good luck

We're doing this for Christmas after such success with it as fireworks! (Didn't aim to be fireworks, they just ended up as them!!)

You have the main bowl and an insert cage part. Cut circles OR use small paper plates :o

Are you using sugar paper? Sometimes that doesn't work as it's too absorbent so use card if you can or plates as I said or just ordinary printer type paper.

The paint needs to be quite runny but not too runny or it flies off the paper!

Funnily enough we're doing marble painting where you roll them around a tray of paint this week! Haven't ever used a marble in the spinner though....

Ach edited my reply then clicked wrong button and lost it xD

We make our paint up in squeezy bottles like ketchup ones. It has to be so runny that when you turn the bottle upside down it pours out :D You have to be quick :o

It's a really good activity for children with rotational schema, you know the ones... always with the cars, turning the wheels...

We used pipettes for ours. If the paint is thin enough to suck up its thin enough to spin. We used black sugar paper and it worked fine. We dropped paint onto the circle of paper inside the cage and then just spun? I don't really know what you could be doing wrong to achieve nothing?

Children spoon the paint out of a dish using a teaspoon. We use readymix for this. The blobs are fairly near the centre so that they can centrifuge outwards when we're spinning. The twinkly ones had paint mixed with slight;y diluted pva so we could sprinkle clear glitter on - these were fireworks.

I'll see if I can find a picture of our spinner ok got one - this was the pva paint one

post-13453-1290551320_thumb.jpg

post-13453-1290551336_thumb.jpg

post-13453-1290551959_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cait

Our salad spinner is one where you have to pull a string and let it fly back. So paint can be dropped on the circle which is already placed in the spinner, the lid is put on and then the string is pulled. Repeated pulls means more spinning and more paint flung, but less is more with regards to paint!

Rachel

We've just used the salad spinner to make 'planets'... looking at the primary colours and how they mix to make new colours!

We found if you 'paint' water onto the paper plate first (not too much or it'll go soggy) THEN add the blobs or paint in each colour and spin, it spreads the paint across the entire plate.

I'll see if I can edit a picture in on monday of our work! The kids were most pleased with the effect and by far one of the most enjoyable activities for them this term. They just loved to whizz it around!