Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outside Play Provision In Very Cold Weather

As you may know I am BIG on outdoor play :D

We have been putting paint activities outside as we've found more children access it but this last week it has been bitterly cold and though it's been marble painting (as in rolling it in a tray not the inks) specifically (so they could do it without necessarily getting painty hands so they could still wear gloves) they have been unwilling to wear them. We're bringing it in tomorrow but I wondered what others do?

I thought of having nursery gloves so it doesn't matter if they get painty but wonder if it's more to do with not being able to feel as much - I always take my gloves off to do anything - even write obs :/

As you may know I am BIG on outdoor play :D

We have been putting paint activities outside as we've found more children access it but this last week it has been bitterly cold and though it's been marble painting (as in rolling it in a tray not the inks) specifically (so they could do it without necessarily getting painty hands so they could still wear gloves) they have been unwilling to wear them. We're bringing it in tomorrow but I wondered what others do?

I thought of having nursery gloves so it doesn't matter if they get painty but wonder if it's more to do with not being able to feel as much - I always take my gloves off to do anything - even write obs :/

I visited Helsiniki last year and was told there that children are allowed to play out as long as the temperatures do not fall below minus eight!!

Yes I did say -8 :o

I saw children outside playing in the sand , role play, etc but they were all in all in one snow suit things with woolley hats, padded wellies and gloves!!! Staff too!!

We are such wimps here! As they say - No such thing as bad weather just unsuitable clothing!

We have just bought padded washable glove things like mittens for outdoor play.

Edited by surfer

Hi

We play out in all weathers, but when its really cold I am more likely to put out more physical toys to keep moving and keep warm.

Also I just want to say how wonderful the free flow curtain is. Someone on the forum pointed me in the right direction for the website, it cost about £60 and really keeps the warm in and the cold out. It can also be wiped clean and can be taken off in the summer. Now I just need to find some nice boots to keep my feet warm!!!

Also I just want to say how wonderful the free flow curtain is. Someone on the forum pointed me in the right direction for the website, it cost about £60 and really keeps the warm in and the cold out. It can also be wiped clean and can be taken off in the summer. Now I just need to find some nice boots to keep my feet warm!!!

UGG boots or the equivalent will keep your feet warm if you can afford them!

What is a free flow curtain????

What is a free flow curtain????

I think this may be a 'butcher's curtain'. A heavy duty PVC curtain similar in style to vertical blinds. Ours are attached to the top of the door frame on the inside and hang down when needed. The door can be left opened then allowing free access. When the door is closed the curtain is held back to the side with a hook.

Hopefully this is what Diesel meant! :o

Diesel10

I have seen a curtain that sounds the same as the one you mentioned when i was on a course. i asked where they got it from and they didn't know as it had been there a long time.

i am really interested in getting one - can you let me know where you got yours please?

Sue J

Here you go:

http://www.freeflowcurtains.co.uk/

They work really well and of course are eco friendly in that they retain the heat in the building. They are easy to put up and take down (we are pack away), you just hook the sections of plastic curtain over the hooks which are above the door. We have ours so that you can still close the door even when they are up.

Has anyone else noticed that discussions about the outdoors and cold weather always turn into talk about those curtain things? Not a complaint or anything, just an observation that made me chuckle!

On the original topic, is it a problem that children are taking their gloves off to do this activity? The weather probably isn't so cold that they are going to do themselves any damage, unless it's much colder where you are than here. They probably have better circulation than us adults to (certainly than me!)

Edited by Guest

No it's not a problem at all (to me anyway... it's staff seeing problems that aren't there IMO xD )

But the children are apparently saying that they are too cold to do certain things (I haven't heard this myself but to be fair I have been on courses and admin days most of the last 2 weeks)

We just got one of those fingershield hand door stop things mentioned in another thread but were thinking of hte butcher's curtain if it wasn't any good for us BUT I hadn't thought of the wind :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)