Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Babies And Hand Washing

rayofsunshine

Hi all,

There's been a lot of talk recently about not using baby wipes to clean hands before and after meals and snacks.

I work in a baby room where we actively encourage our toddlers to wash their hands with liquid soap under running water.

However, for babies who are unable to stand at the sink, we have been using home provided wipes to clean their hands.

Is this acceptable? What would Ofsted say? What do you do in your baby rooms? What are the alternatives?

I must admit that until all the fuss I hadn't seen this as a problem. Am I wrong? Please help!!

(I'm coming from a hygiene perspective rather than an allergy one, by the way!)

Confusing isn't it? There's been similar threads to this with lots of conflicting answers as to Ofsteds perspective

Have you asked what your parents do at home? If they do what you do, could you use this as a basis for your procedures?

Out of the 5 or 6 baby rooms I've worked non used baby wipes, they all used flannels run under warm water and wrung out. Each flannel went straight into the wash. Dont know if there was any particular reason for it though.

Out of the 5 or 6 baby rooms I've worked non used baby wipes, they all used flannels run under warm water and wrung out. Each flannel went straight into the wash. Dont know if there was any particular reason for it though.

Rea - I think i would do it this way (this is the way we did it as a family) some baby wipes have an overpowering scent - imagine eating finger foods with that on your hands.

This is what I do but didn't want to say for fear of being wrong.

Honey

In the baby room I worked in as part of my EYPS pathway they used flannels to wash babies' hands and faces which were immediately washed after. Personally I'd think a nice warm flannel feels much nicer than a cold wet wipe!

Please don't fear being wrong! I just asked for opinions and it's been great to read your replies.

Looks as if I'm the one in the wrong anyway! That's what I love about this forum - I can ask questions from much more experienced people and not have to worry about being shot down. I like challenging the ways we do things as it's the only way we're going to develop.

I look forward to approaching the manager on Monday morning about funding for loads of flannels! x x x

... I got hundreds of flannels from Tesco for 25 pence each about 6 months ago, we use them in place of paper towels but they can also be used to wash hands and faces. Once used they go straight in the bin for the wash.

BMG

I'm interested in the idea of using flannels instead of paper towels. We get through hundreds of paper towels in pre-school, as the children seem to take a handful out of the dispenser instead of just one or two. We have a blow drier but it is positioned too high for most children to use effectively! How do you manage and dispense the flannels? Who does the washing? Sorry to highjack the thread.

When I was a childminder I had different coloured flannels and hand towels for each child, and used these for wiping hands and faces. They were washed at the end of each day, as each child had their own. Not so easy with a large number of children though.

You can cut them in half to save on the expense. :o

Washing in nurseries was usually done by the cleaning staff or in the private ones on the premsis by whoever was on kitchen duty that day.

I'm interested in the idea of using flannels instead of paper towels. We get through hundreds of paper towels in pre-school, as the children seem to take a handful out of the dispenser instead of just one or two. We have a blow drier but it is positioned too high for most children to use effectively! How do you manage and dispense the flannels? Who does the washing? Sorry to highjack the thread.

When I was a childminder I had different coloured flannels and hand towels for each child, and used these for wiping hands and faces. They were washed at the end of each day, as each child had their own. Not so easy with a large number of children though.

I know that Cait uses this system at her pre-school, hopefully she will come along and explain it to you. Suffice to say tho I seem to remember it's Cait who does the washing!

We keep the flannels in 2 lidded storage boxes in the bathroom, on top of each box is a basket which contains flannels folded ready for use, by each box/basket is a flip lidded bin for used flannels. They can be used for drying hands after washing or used wet to clean up mucky faces and hands

We have a washing machine and tumble drier on site so the washing get done daily.

And guess what i bought white ones and they are still pretty white even after all these months of use!

BMG

Edited by BMG

We use flannels and also those blue J cloths for the older children, these also wash and wear quite well, and then they all get used once per child and go into the washing machine daily , it's always on anyway for the cotsheets, spare clothes, towels from waterplay and the hot wash for teatowels (ooops another swear word :o )

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)