Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Self Registration

Now our children are all settled in i think we could start to self register ( at least the morning group!) but i have not done this before, though i have seen a couple of examples. We have very little space...i think the front of a cupboard may be the only place available. Do any of you have any tips/ideas fab ways of diplaying etc??? any info gratefully received xD:o

Now our children are all settled in i think we could start to self register ( at least the morning group!) but i have not done this before, though i have seen a couple of examples. We have very little space...i think the front of a cupboard may be the only place available. Do any of you have any tips/ideas fab ways of diplaying etc??? any info gratefully received :(xD

Hi, we have just recently used a website called 'teachers pet' for some lovely editable name labels for our children. Our nursery class is split into three key person groups- Ladybirds, Caterpillars and Butterflies- we used their animal themed labels to print out the children's names. They love them and it helps them to remember which group they are in too :o

Great for lots of other resources too!

hi :)

we have two laminated pieces of card with velcro pads on, one has 'who is at nursery today' written at the top, the other spaces for the the childrends name cards.

they each have a name card with their picture on it to help them recognise. the cards have velcro pads on aswell, these are easy enough to pick up!

when the children come in we encourage them to find their name/picture depending on ability and they transfer it from one card to the other.

good luck with whatever you create!

We have a large portable noticeboard made to look like a school and they stick their character with photo and name on, onto the board. Later, when they have had a snack at the snack bar they take the character off so we can see who hasn't had one.

I cut out letters from Letterland and stick them to card, on the other side I write their names and then we laminate them. They are laid out on a low table first thing in the morning the children identify their name and put it into a decorated box. Later on in the morning they are all laid out again for them to identify and give to adult to "pay" for the snack and drink. We also use them for a few games.

We have a small (maybe 2X8cm? Guessing!) laminated name card, with a velcro pad on the back, for each child They have their name and a small picture of something starting with the same sound (so Sian might have a shark but not stairs, Adam might have an apple but not an apron :o ) and their coat peg has a matching label. When they come in they find their name card and put it on a felt covered board stuck to the wall (with blutak!!) When they are all in we look at the names left on the table and if those children are in we remind them to 'do their name'. Every half term we decide which children are ready to lose the picture and replace their name card with one just showing their name. Lots of parents ask to keep these cards when they leave (myself included!!)

We also have a written register which a staff member fills in as children enter and then checks once they are all in.

i really like these ideas,i have to keep it simple as 16 of the children have EAL and i also have three with SEN so it's got to be easy to start with! they already have a name label system for snacks but some of them may find it difficult to use the same labels for something else! Do you find the system works well ? and did you have many teething problems?

Ours works well - the worst bit for us is we don't have the same children in any 2 sessions so we have to sort the names every day. We have 60 children so it can take a while but it could be worse!

We've done it for a long time so I can't remember if there were any problems. We used to get them to take their name back off the board and put it in a pot on the snack table so we knew who had accessed it but for some reason that stopped...

i really like these ideas,i have to keep it simple as 16 of the children have EAL and i also have three with SEN so it's got to be easy to start with! they already have a name label system for snacks but some of them may find it difficult to use the same labels for something else! Do you find the system works well ? and did you have many teething problems?

We have done it this way for many years now, we find even when our 2 and half year olds begin they can pick out their name cards within the first half term, we see them discussing their name cards while in the queue for their snack - who has the same characters etc. As I have mentioned, we use them for other games etc. so they see them at least twice per session, maybe more. I also write M T Th or F in the corner of the cards once the are laminated - this way we know which sessions the child is attending so which ones to put out on the table and which ones to store for the next session.

Edited by Panders

brilliant- thanks everyone -i've gone with a wooly hat design with the help of teachers pet - thought this was topical in this weather! we'll give it a go on monday and see how we go ... thanks for the tip about the days panders ....little things like that which save so much time :o

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)