Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Journeys

Hi

Just wanted to ask how long people spend a week on their learning Jouneys on average?

I have one member of staff who spent 9 hours on 3 books last week!! I allow my staff 1hour 20 minutes a week paid non contact but this member of staff is saying it's not enough! I have spoken to other staff one has admitted she spends a long time (decorates each page etc etc!), I do have key children and have found 10 minutes a week on each book is fine!

So just wanted to ask am I giving them enough time, at present they have 8 children each.

Kris

I have 8 children in my group and I find an average of an hour a week is sufficient. I print pictures off in batches and sit with the children who stick them in any tell me what to write alongside them. Updating the development statements takes a little longer, as does any forward planning for next steps, but I do a couple of children at a time if it looks like I need to spend longer. I'm puzzled as to why a member of staff is doing the decorating of these folders though, surely if there's decorating to be done it should be the children's own? After all, who is going to have ownership of the finished product?

After all, who is going to have ownership of the finished product?

It sounds to me as if kristina's member of staff views it as a kind of gift to the child rather than something that belongs to the child already!

Have you compared this practitioner's learning journeys with a colleagues' to see if the amoutn of time she is spending on them is justified? We all work at different rates, and have different ideas about what to include. 'Extras' might be lovely and parents might really appreciate them, but if they fall outside the scope of what is required for the job and what is necessary then perhaps she needs a bit more direction in how to compile them?

Maz

Hi it really does depend on each child, how many sessions they attend, and the amount of post-its, art-work, photographs taken and obs we have.Thats whats so difficult to measure in terms of allocating time.

Some staff can look at the Development matters statements and quickly link an activity or ob a child may have taken part in, others may take much longer.

Always interested in other ideas, so will keep looking for any other posts. :o

we had 1 hour a week, for about 8 max.. any more then we had a bit longer.. but we did it very like Cait, getting the children involved in putting the photos in and adding 'work' they wanted to - giving them ownership of it.

once set up it was enough time...

some children always had less than others to put in and it varied each week..

I used to do a check weekly on all the folders so I could ensure they were up to date and could help those who needed it.. perhaps that is what is needed and then a general chat on what is expected / not needed.. to try to get everyone doing the same , our mums used to compare them (mostly because of the pictures) and would quickly ask why if it was vastly different..

as a passing thought - if she is adding a lot of decoration etc.. could she be 'into ' scrapbooking and thinks it would be a lovely souvenir..

Inge

I would say about 10- 15 minutes per child to check their folder and add an observation

Id avoild letting staff decorate learning journeys as it could be seen by the parents that some staff work harder than others (even though that is not the case, just that one member of staff has a creative flare)

I'd ask the question why is that member of staff making so much effort?

I have to say the one that decorates does have a creative flair!! She loves anything creative and enjoys displays, creative activities! I called all the staff and have arranged a meeting (with books) for after work on Monday, we have changed our methods for learning journeys, observations this year so maybe we will need more regular meetings until everyone is working the same!

Just cant understand how one member of staff can take 9 hours on 3 books when we have only been back 7 weeks in total!! And if she was doing them weekly as asked it doesn't add up so will be doing a bit of investigating!!

Kris

I have to say the one that decorates does have a creative flair!! She loves anything creative and enjoys displays, creative activities! I called all the staff and have arranged a meeting (with books) for after work on Monday, we have changed our methods for learning journeys, observations this year so maybe we will need more regular meetings until everyone is working the same!

Just cant understand how one member of staff can take 9 hours on 3 books when we have only been back 7 weeks in total!! And if she was doing them weekly as asked it doesn't add up so will be doing a bit of investigating!!

Kris

I can understand you wishing to have uniformity especially with the content of observations/assessment/next steps, that is very important, and this must be checked to make sure she isn't decorating in order to mask very little content. Is she expecting to be paid for her 9 hours - or does she do this willingly and obviously just getting self satisfaction from it?

It may be worth appreciating her for her hard work and then asking her to just hold back on it somewhat because it looks like others key workers can't be bothered -- when inevitably parents talk, or see each others at some point.

I make a group scrapbook. It has pictures of children taking part in weekly activities.Children comment on it. I print any rhymes and books that we have focussed on. It is more decorated than my childrens folders!!!!! Most parents only want to look at pictures anyway. Perhaps artistic staff could put their talents to special use.I leave it on the table for parents and children to look at.