Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Here's The Thing

Cait

A Mum came in on Monday and explained that her son may be a bit upset because the dog had nipped his hand. Apparently the dog decided he wanted the child's toast and had nipped when the child said 'no' and moved his hand away. Mum had told the dog off and it had then tried to nip her too. So, she confided, she'd decided to have it put down before any real damage could be done. She was obviously upset, so other than sympathise and say I'd keep a particular eye on him, I didn't say anything about what I thought she should do. (not my place really - it's her dog after all!)

Anyway, this evening I see that she's advertising the dog on facebook for at least £100 citing the reason that she's returning to work and can't give it the time it deserves. (It's a Jackahuahua) A couple of the people interested are also Preschool parents. Sooo - should I tell them or stand back and wait for their children to be nipped!!! Should I encourage 'Sam' to tell the children of these Mums that it nipped him?

Any thoughts anyone?

Oh what a situation to be in.

Can you say something to the mum? Can you imagine how you'd feel if the dog nipped a child and you knew?

Is there any re-homing centres (can't think of correct word) near you that may be able to help?

I can understand not wanting to have the dog put to sleep- but she needs to be honest about why it needs rehoming. I'd be more than happy to rehome a dog that wasn't comfortable* around children as other would too - but they do need to know what they're taking on.

*meaning a small risk of accidental nips and not a anti-social dog if you know what I mean!!

It seems she's decide she wants the £100, so rehoming to a centre isn't going to be an option I don't think. One of the facebook comments was from someone who'd love to give him a happy home but can't afford that amount and she said 'no'

oh heck, felt very scared reading this. If the dog bit once it could bite again and I say this with my dog curled up next to me. Imagine your conscience or the worry if it went to live with another child. The dog needs re-training. I'd have a quiet word with the mum and play the guilt card how would she feel if it bit another child in a couple of months time. If she's still planning on selling I'd be tempted to contact your local police officer or a dog charity as you've a moral responsibility and a duty of care if it did end up with another of your children.

It doesn't say much about the child's mum if she's prepared to endanger someone elses child for £100 does it. I would be inclined to say tell her /any prospective purchasers that it is a dog which is potentially dangerous to children, however, we all know it's not that simple and in when we are constantly aware of confidentiality, relationships with parents etc, I don't envy you your dilemma at at xx

Also, I would imagine that the person who would love to have the dog but can't afford the £100 should probably question whether they can afford to keep a dog at all when you consider how expensive it can be to look after a pet properly - it would suggest they maybe might not be aware of how to provide a good home for a pet!

Lots of luck x

Well, I took the bull by the horns and said I'd noticed her 'advertisement' on facebook. She looked a bit sheepish and said it was her partner who wanted the money for it as it had cost too much to simply put down. I suggested that she should make a point of telling people it had nipped her 3 year old and tried to nip her, and she said she would do that. I politely suggested that she should think how she would feel if it bit another child, and that by selling a dog that she knows is liable to bite, she may be leaving herself open to prosecution if she's not 'up front' about it. (Don't know whether that's right or not - but if it makes her think about it, it's worth it) :o

So, we'll see.

At least now, whatever she decides to do you will know that you have done the right thing ((hugs)). Even better, you've managed to phrase without it sounding judgemental - rather that you wouldn't like her to make a decision she may regret. Hopefully she will take your very wise advice x