Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Morning Sickness!

Hi everyone,

I'm 8 weeks pregnant with my first baby and over the moon! I found out very early though so feel like I am in a time warp at the moment, wishing the next few weeks to fly by (... I can't wait to bloom!)

Anyway, I am suffering quite a lot with morning sickness (or rather all day sickness!) and feeling pretty rough most of the time. I've tried everything I can think of with Ginger in, plain foods, dry foods, sea sickness bands etc. Even tried munching on things constantly which has probs helped the most but becoming very hard because as soon as I fancy anything I eat it and go straight off it again!

I've been lucky so far that as it's been summer hols I've been able to just sleep/lie down/rest/hug the toilet :o whenever I've needed to. My only worry now is how I am going to cope with the very early mornings, long days and 48 new reception children when I go back on weds. I've told my head and deputy they were lovely and are very understanding, I could just do with some wise words from those who have "been there done that!" I havnt told my staff in early years yet (10 in total) and was hoping to be able to wait till after my scan. I'm sure they'll work it out though - I look horrendous!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

thanks

xxx

Firstly congratulations!!!!

and .... you poor thing - I remember it well!! :o

I can recommend this book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/No-More-Morning-Si...3755&sr=1-5

it's a bit ''american'' but had a few good ideas so it you can get it from the library or secondhand for a couple of pound then it would be worth it.

The stuff about smells worked for me.

Although I was never actually sick just felt it ALL the time, and that was just awful!! especially as I went off the smell of chocolate - that was a dead giveaway with my colleagues.

Good luck and I hope you get some relief soon - don't forget that for every day you suffer you are one day nearer when it will stop......

and it will stop.... hopefully soon.... I just woke up one day and felt fine!

xD:(:(

Firstly, congratulations, secondly poor you! My 'morning sickness' used to come on at about 4p.m! Made the journey home from my London commute interesting sometimes.

Smells were definitely the thing, food smells, perfume smells, tea, coffee. Can't offer any help whatsoever - except to say that on the dot of 12 weeks it just finished and then I realised how rough I had actually been feeling for the previous 8!

I would only have suggested the ginger things or seabands and as they are not doing the job - I can offer no more words of wisdom.

Hope things proceed well for you - and yes the staff will cotton on quickly if they have ever been pregnant themselves - most of mine realised because I wasn't dinking tea and coffee during the breaks.

Congratulations.. a wonderful time .. enjoy it..

As with the others .. remember it well.. mine was like you all day, any time, no respite, and I don't remember ever finding a real cure.. other than when a craving kicked in.. mine was oranges so all good.. and I must have had tons of them in every way possible..

I can only say I hope yours does not last as long as mine did.. everyone said only a few weeks, wont last long...but hate to say I still had it 6 months later... stopped for last 6 weeks!

Inge

Thanks ladies for your support and it's nice to know that other people have felt this rough! (does that sound mean...sorry!) it's just hard to smile and say "good for you" when people I know are breezing through none the wiser feeling on top of the world.

X

Firstly congratulations mum to be, just when you want to celebrate you feel pretty dreadful, but as others have said it should subside in the next three or four weeks, and then you can look forward to enjoying this most wonderful experience ever.

In the meantime you do get to know your toilet quite intimately. ha ha :o

Good luck to you and little bump.x

congratulatios. I know how you feel I had it for 6 months when expecting my son but only until I was 3 months with daughter, to long ago to remember what I tried.

Rosemarie

Must also add = don't feel silly mentioning it to doctor or midwife, sometimes it can cause dehydration and be more serious.

Don't want to sound like i'm scaremongering but don't think it is all just part of being pregnant and that you have to suffer in silence. and just get on with it. If you're not able to eat properly they might recommend taking supplements (but not without their advice!!) so you don't get anaemic and have problems later on.

Sorry to sound all practical.... :o

xD:(:(

Hi, Congratulations.

I too suffered with morning sickness and unfortunately mine never did go completely until I gave birth but I learnt to cope as it lessened with time. I remember I drank loads of lucozade as that seemed to help, amde sure I never actually got hungry by nibbling and sucked mints--something I really dont like at other times!

If its any conso;ation, my consultant told me it was a good sign as it meant the right hormones were kicking in.

However, if you are feeling too ill to work which I did, please talk to your doctor and get yourself signed off for a few weeks.

Good luck. Hope everything else goes well for you.

You have my sympathy, I had it with all 3 of mine from 8 weeks to 16 weeks, at its peak all I could do was lay on the sofa all day, despite being quite determined with my 3rd that I was not going to suffer with morning sickness!

I understand morning sickness is a good sign, though that didn't make me feel much better.

If you have a weak dispostion don't read on....

I know it sounds gross, and I hate being sick, but feeling sick was worse so I used to drink a glass of water before getting out of bed in the morning and make myself sick (there not being much to bring up), this enabled me to eat straightaway afterwards when I wasn't feeling quite so nauseous. I would force myself to eat breakfast, like porridge, whilst concentrating very hard on the TV to try to take my mind of what I was doing. Then eat little and often. I remember trying seabands, arrowroot biscuits, ginger. The smell of the dishwasher used to make me worse, in fact I didn't really like going into the kitchen at all.

I was fortunate enough to have 3 beautiful, healthy, heavy babies who suffered no ill effects at all.

Congratulations and I hope you feel better soon.

I symphaise totally! I remember walking to work being sick all the way!

Try and keep away from trigger smells etc. Lucozade, sipping ice cold water and cups of tea worked for me as did just convincing myself I did not feel sick...I think I spent 9 months telling myself I felt great constantly. (I always wonder what people must have thought of this woman waddling down the road talking to herself and retching all the way down the road past the Marine Barracks! )

You may find being at work takes your mind off it (especially with 48 reception aged children!) see your midwife for tips and hope it goes soon.

I was nauseous for the first 12 weeks and as sick as a dog for a very memorable (for all the wrong reasons :o ) 8 days at 16 weeks. Smells were indeed a trigger... tea, coffee, hot chocolate ugh!! I used to make my colleagues take the long route around the office away from my desk when they'd been to the drinks machine - bless them!!

The ONLY thing that helped was dry arrowroot biscuits, they were in plastic bags in every jacket pocket, handbag, desk drawer, car glovebox..... sadly, even the sight of that yellow packet on a supermarket shelf makes me feel queasy still and my baby is nearly 16 years old!!!!!

Hope it passes soon

Nona