Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Aaargh!

I'm sure someone has already mentioned this but I'm tearing my hair out trying to update all our paperwork simply because some new residents in Westminster have decided to change the names of everything! No DCSF (and I'd only just got the letters in the right order!), no "safeguarding" (back to "child protection" apparently) and now I have to delete a section on my Fair Processing Notice about ContactPoint. I'm having to read everything with a fine tooth comb. I appreciate they want to make their mark but can't we keep some terminology the same?

Oh I do sympathise I have changed from a sole trader to a limitd company and have had to re-register!! All my paperwork has got to be re-done with new company name on everything. I keep putting it off because it is so daunting!! not only that but I have to finish up accounts for the old business as well so all that to do as well

I do hope some one comes up with a less paperwork system some time.

I spend hours at a computer!!!!

So lots of sympathy from me

no "safeguarding" (back to "child protection" apparently)

Can you point me in the direction of this announcement Holly? I'm just about to update my procedures and wouldn't want to have to change them again soon!

That said, I guess it all depends on what your local authority is doing - so long as your policies etc reflect local safeguarding children's board procedures, I'd have thought that was the main thing. Of course if the name of the LSCB changes that's a different matter! :o

Maz

I can remember when it all changed before.. took me ages to sift through all the policies to change words.. missed one still had child protection in one sentence and Ofsted pulled me up on it in an inspection...

they all have the same meaning so really cannot see why the need to changer it all the time.. must cost everyone loads to keep changing paperwork for a few words..

have fun with this one... again...

Inge

I will have to check through - yet again - as Inge says, but I have continued to have a Child Protection Policy etc. as I felt the Safeguarding Children expressed an umberella term for all kinds of things we do to keep children from harm not just the child protection side of it.

Will we get official notification at our settings do you think ...or as usual be expected to be psychic!!

Inge - you obviously already knew what was coming and were just hedging your bets when you left that reference in!! lol

Can you point me in the direction of this announcement Holly? I'm just about to update my procedures and wouldn't want to have to change them again soon!

I came across it in a link from an email I got from the National Literacy Trust. That led me to http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/news/2357_...y_child_matters

On re-reading it I don't know whether this has officially come into play, but like Inge we have been pulled up about using child protection when it should have been safeguarding and Ofsted mentioned it in our report! It is one of those things we were meant to just "know" for ourselves though I feel - official notification - what's that?!

I came across it in a link from an email I got from the National Literacy Trust.

Thanks Holly - I did read this but didn't pick up on the safeguarding/child protection thing. And I read it to mean that the Government had drawn up a list of terms that they will no longer be using - the most surprising of which is that the phrase Every Child Matters will no longer be heard. There is a commitment to uphold the principles between ECM but it does make me wonder if there are big changes coming soon.

I think that a whole lot of things will need to change before we need to change the terminology we use. As I said before, Ofsted will want to see that your policies follow the procedures and guidelines set out by your Local Safeguarding Children's Board, so I won't be making any changes at all until my LA tells me to.

Maz

What worried me more form that article was not referring the the 5 outcomes but "helping children achieve more", which is even more vague and less measurable.

Taking the easier option I might follow your path Maz and leave everything until told to do so by LSCB. I didn't achieve much the other day and it doesn't look like I'm going to today either!

Taking the easier option I might follow your path Maz and leave everything until told to do so by LSCB.

Yep - this is what I intend to do.........really can not be doing with this level of pettiness/nit picking - safeguarding versus child protection - whatever difference does the title make?

Really wish Ofsted would not change their 'phone no. every 5 minutes too - I got pulled up for this at last inspection - i.e. incorrect number displayed and in paperwork - better make sure it's right this time (due for inspection).........

Gosh - what a bad-tempered post! xD:o

Funny you should mention that - I've just been to look at their numbers for the Prospectus!

To call us

* 0300 123 4234 about education or adult skills

* 0300 123 4666 if you want to make a complaint or have a concern about any service Ofsted inspects or regulates (8.00am to 6.00pm)

* 0300 123 1231 about children’s services or any other aspect of our work

* 18001 prefix for Typetalk

* 60085 for text messages. Please note that in instances where we are unable to send a full reply by text message - for example, if the reply will be very long - we will send a text message offering to telephone you to discuss your query

* 0161 618 8524 for textphone/Minicom users

* 0300 123 3155 is the number for our whistleblowers hotline currently being piloted. However before you call please read the whistleblowers page on the left

These helplines are available from 8.00am to 8.00pm, Monday to Friday.