Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

You Know Your A Nursery Nurse When.......

You know you're a Nursery Nurse when..

You know all the top children TV Shows (Dora the explorer)..

You know bob the builder and all his friends.

Doing 15+ nappies a day is the norm.

You know all nursery rhymes & songs.

You have perfected 'the look' when a child missbehaves.

You can get 8+ children to sleep within 20minutes.

You find yourself saying 'I'm not going to tell you again' then repeating it 5minutes later.

Checking your hair for headlice becomes apart of your beauty regime.

The word OFSTED sends panic through you.

If you don't come home with paint/glue/some form of messy play in your hair or on your clothes, then it has been a very successful day.

After a long hard day you hate it when your friends say "Why are you so tired, you only play all day"

Two words.. Potty training.

You can recite "we're going on a bear hunt... we're going to catch a big one.. we're not scared..." without even a glance at the book

You say 'oh dear, how sad' on a daily basis.

You flinch when someone says 'naughty' but then you realise that in the real world it isnt a FORBIDDEN word!!

You can make up games on the spot.

You are aware that "twinkle twinkle little star" and the alphabet have the same tune.

You have 20 pairs of shoes and know which shoes belong to who.

You love playing outside as much as the children.

You leave work looking like you've been dragged through a hedge backwards and stamped on by a heard of elephants, despite leaving the house in pristine condition less than 12 hours earlier!

Alochol is a must have at the weekends.

..That being said, We still have the best job going!!

When you automatically say "Thankyou!" if someone forgets.

You know 50 uses for PVA glue

You can feed one child and cuddle another while reading to a third.

You know what Tombliboo, Waybuloo and Zingzilla mean.

You can sing anywhere without being embarrassed.

You point to cows when there are only adults in the car.

Edited by Upsy Daisy

You say 'oh dear, how sad' on a daily basis.

This made me realise just how often I say the words "oh dear, that's not good is it?" because children regularly tell me about siblings going to jail, police coming to the house and other unfortunate incidents of this kind when 'how sad' is less than appropriate. It's my one phrase fits all answer!

Also I know Room on the Broom off by heart! Think I love it more than the children :o

Edited by Guest

When your shoes are constantly splattered with blobs of paint

when you go to a lovely italian deli and spend more time trying to work out which pasta shapes will go well on tomorrows collage

When you cant do a quick shop in the supermarket because every other person knows you and wants to talk to you :(

when you go to the local school and get mugged by five year olds who used to be 'yours' :o

when the lady in the post office checks to see you haven't got a host of small children with you to buy one stamp!

when going round ikea you spend 3 times more on pre-school than on your own things...even though you desperately need to re-do your house.

xD:(:(

When you can magically make card and silver foil into a rocket children can get into to...........

When you say "Really?" three hundred times a day followed by a "Tell me about it"........

When every member of your family will be out shopping for clothes/ house stuff and give you a shout and say "What about this for nursery?"

When on day two of the summer break your car is already full of stuff to take back to nursery with you......

When you specifically start the session late on the first day back so you can go into reception...... to look after the Mums on the first morning!!

My husband says to add:

When the first words you say on waking at 6:30 in the morning are " Dave have you got some .... (fill in the blank with a choice from screws, nails, logs, branches, leaves, bricks, batteries, stones, pots, tyres etc. etc. etc.) ..... I can take today!

........ when you are at the supermarket checkout on the way home and look down and realise you are wearing a beautiful cotton reel necklace.

... when you turn to hubby at dinner time and say 'now then how many plates do you think we need?'

...you don't need to buy any 'sparkly' makeup..... daily glitter supplies, applied randomly is part and parcel of the job

.....you immediately name spiders found at home 'oh that's harry, hello harry'

......when you wake up every morning knowing you have the best job in the world :oxD

When you're driving home/washing up/in the bath/ and singing the Christmas songs out loud that you are learning for the play, up to, and after Christmas,

keep every empty box you have because you know it'll come in for something,

When you're driving home/washing up/in the bath/ and singing the Christmas songs out loud that you are learning for the play, up to, and after Christmas,

keep every empty box you have because you know it'll come in for something,

.......when your singing the xmas songs in bed at 3am :oxD:(

You tooo..

When you sing songs in your sleep waking the rest of the house....

When you never throw anything away.. it may be useful....

Inge

When during November, December and January everyone in your house has glittery underwear because you washed your playschool stuff in your own washing machine!

(Hubby says it makes for some interesting looks at the gym! :o )

- when you can carry out a head count on a large group of constantly moving children in less than 5 seconds

- when leaving a room at home, you have a quick scan to see there is someone else there to supervise the 'children'

- when you use your nursery swear words when not at work i.e. 'oh poo' 'oh for flip's sake' 'shoot'

:o

Guest MaryEMac

You walk home from playgroup, stopping to chat to friends and when you get in the house you realise that role play today was the hairdressers. No-one reminded you to take out the rollers,clips etc !!! :D

Mary

Brilliant!

When leaving anywhere you scan obvious nooks and crannies for 'hidden' children...

On holiday, small people come to talk to you and they are reluctant to be reclaimed, even though there are no children in your group ...

you get annoyed when other adults refer to children as 'kids'...

you get annoyed when other adults refer to children as 'kids'...

Oh I can't agree with that one, Sue. Some practitioners I really rate in other areas call children 'kids' - how irritating!

Maz