Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Safeguarding Issue

Hi, Im after some advice and a bit of re-assurance I think!

Have this morning had to make a child protection referral. I know it was the right thing to do and although the person to which I made the referral to, sounded concerned its such a horrible thing to have to do and just keep thinking I hope it was justified.

Although Im not a nursery, an out of school club I have a couple of questions:

-Do the committee need to be notified of the referral?

-Do OFSTED need to be notified ive made a referral?

Also Im very aware that I need to keep myself and my staff safe in this situation, I have been advised not to talk to mum about this. Any tips on keeping staff safe in the event that mum/partner links the referral to us?

Any advice greatly received!

ooh Westie - couldn't read and run!

I would have to say "I'm not sure" to either of your questions - if in doubt, phone ofsted! Do you have an Early Years Advisor who could help you with everything? You should certainly get in touch with your local team for some support if you feel there's a chance you may need it.

I'll have a look in my safeguarding stuff to see if it shows the answers!

ooh Westie - couldn't read and run!

NOr me! What a sad situation for you to be in.

I am sure you are questioning yourself about making the referral but you sound confident in the decision you made and even if in time it turns out your fears were unfounded I truly believe it is better to be safe than sorry.

I don't know anything about committees but our safeguarding policy and procedures state that when a referral is made to social care we will also inform our LSCB and OFSTED

I realise it is a sensitive issue and am not suggesting you share any details here but as you have been advised not to speak to Mum I guess the issue is pretty serious. I have made referrals before but have always informed parents of my decision. OUr policy says that where possible the child will continue to attend the setting and we will work with parents and external agencies.

I am not too sure about what you mean 'keeping staff safe' if parents link referral to you? I would imagine that if parents question any staff then their stand would be to refer parents to senior staff/manager. Quite how you deal with parents I am not too sure at all - I guess you need to seek advice from the external agency you reported it to? Are you hoping to keep it as an 'anonymous referral'?

Sorry not alot of help but hang on in there and I hope everything is resolved soon. Lets us know how you get on

Hi westie

I keep my committee posted regarding referrals, I would also notify Ofsted. My committee has a designated safeguarding person who liaises with my safeguarding officer in Pre-School.

Good luck

mrsW.x

Edited by Guest

speak to the refering agency and get clarification from them before you tell anyone else - they are the professionals in charge of this case now.....you have done the right thing and need to use their experience to help you. You don't say who you have refered to but they should be able to advise. Good luck :o

I'm chair of our committee, I know that the playleader made a phone call to the local safeguarding team about an incident a few weeks ago but I dont need to know more than that. She is perfectly capable of making decisions and knows what to do regarding proceedures. Telling me would be one more person who knows something that should be confidential. Theres no reason to tell Ofsted either. All you have done is make a professional referal nothing else has happened, if mom cant know, I'd keep it to the few people who absolutley need to know.

Firstly, well done on acting to safeguard this child. It is never an easy thing to do, but you've done it now and enabled the external agencies to set the wheels in motion.

My first port of call would be to look at my safeguarding policy, and LSCB guideliness to see how I should proceed. Good advice from finleysmaid about speaking to social care about how to handle the parents - I did this and they gave me quite specific advice about what to say and do.

The simple methods of keeping staff safe are the best - I made sure I was in the 'front line' at pick up and drop off so that I could head off any attempts to talk to staff or other parents about what was going on. However what I didn't do was get a witness to be with me when I was harangued by both parents although I did make sure I was in an open space where the other staff could see what was happening.

It might be helpful to think of the wording of what your response might be, in the light of whatever advice social care give you. So if they tell you not to discuss any details of the case, then your stock answer might be that "social care have advised me not to talk about details of the case, but if you have any questions about the prrocess from here, to contact them direct. However in the meantime I'll be happy to discuss the details of your child's day with us, and the progress they're making" or something like that.

It is a tricky time for you and your staff - make sure you have sources of support for yourselves personally because this is obviously a very worrying time not only because you are concerned about the child, but also about your own personal safety and emotional needs. It is also possible that the situation may bring to the surface some personal issues for staff members.

Take care - hope you get some good advice and support from your professional colleagues.

Maz

I don't know anything about committees but our safeguarding policy and procedures state that when a referral is made to social care we will also inform our LSCB and OFSTED

Just thought I would correct myself! I should have read my policy/procedures properly before posting! I actually quoted from the part that relates to allegations made against staff and of course in such incidents it is a legal requirement to notify OFSTED.

The specific legal requirements state:

Registered providers must inform Ofsted of any allegations of serious harm or abuse by any person living, working, or looking after children at the premises (whether that allegation relates to harm or abuse committed on the premises or elsewhere), or any other abuse which is alleged to have taken place on the premises, and of the action taken in respect of these allegations. Registered providers must inform Ofsted of these allegations as soon as is reasonably practicable, but at the latest within 14 days of the allegations being made. A registered provider who, without reasonable excuse, fails to comply with this requirement, commits an offence.

(EYFS statutory framework P22)

Lots of sound advice already but just wanted to add share the burden with a member of staff who you can trust, in serious cases it can sometimes become overwhelming and you will also need support.

so sorry you had to do this..............................i had one a month ago, and yes, i reported it to Ofsted.I would aslo refer it to your chair, and make sure you have full copies of everything you have said, done and reported, and to whom, dated, timed etc. it's horrid, but you are there to protect the child, so well done and know that youhave done exactly the right thing xx

I don't think the full committee needs to know about this. There's no benefit to them knowing and it just increases the risk of breaches of confidentiality. I'd inform the Chair of the fact that the referral has been made and leave it at that.

I certainly wouldn't tell the whole committee, in the same way I wouldn't tell all the staff. But my designated safeguarding officer on the committee is made fully aware of any referral by the safeguarding person on the staff team. mrsW.x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)