Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ict Provision In Early Years

Hi,

We've been given a budget to spend on ICT resources for Early Years. Before I spend all the money, can anyone recommend great ICT resources that they use? Either software or things such as remote control cars?

Thanks

ours love remote control cars - but a word of warning - you may find that one controller drives everyone's car if they are using the same frequency - this can be useful in some respects, and frustrating in others!!

Beebots are good fun, but for the slightly older ones perhaps, my younger ones push the buttons in too far and Zebedee has to open them up and sort them out. (Well I'm capable, but he likes stuff like that)

Tape recorders with microphones are good fun - and well used, as are CD players with headphones - Zebedee puts a stop on the volume for me on those.

My youngest children (well some of the older ones too for that matter) like the baby annabel crying doll - good for an unsettled child too.

Oh - the digital photoframe is great - always popular!

If I had oodles to spend I'd get an interactive display for self registration etc, a digital microscope and things like that

Edited by Cait

Great resources I would recommend would include

talking tins

talking photo albums

beebots

digital microscope

child friendly cameras

listening centre

I would always check on battery use if budget is tight, remote bugs have a habit of eating batteries in large numbers. To get over Caits' point about all the remotes controlling each bug, Id recommend the 'make n go' which you can build with duplo/k'nex and which you can switch channels if you have several..better for older age group though.

Idspend my money on things above rather than software as this can be very expensive and have limited and fixed use (ie a cole of chidlren in the corner where the computer is). Just my view though.

Happy spending

We have metal detectors and talking tins and the talking photo albums are great for all sorts of things . We have had good fun with light up traffic light and remote controlled cars too. TTs are a good company when it comes to ICt. OOOh and we bought a nifty set of torches from them which come on a stand which charges 6 at a time - they are our best buy . Dizzzzz

Hi.

Depends how much you have to spend . I bought some storeyphones which are MP3 players but can be set up with stories and songs. The children love them and they are well used, but they are quite expensive.

Apart from those Bee Bots are popular and of course child friendly digital cameras.

I am in Reception, not sure what age group you are, but would definitely recommend BeeBots! The children love them. When they first start using them they can only program one command at a time, but now my more able are able to work out whole sequences for them to follow. We have several mats that they can program the BeeBots around and they often choose to do this during child initiated time.

Carrots x

i like

2simple software

beebot

tuffcam (no longer need batteries - well they do but are part of sealed unit and stay charged for ages)

Thank you so much for the wonderful response. I've got the TTS catalogue open and I'm going to do my order. It's always great to hear from other people what works well.

At a recent early years conference we had lots of ICT recommended to us for promoting speaking and listening - including the talking tins and talking postcards, storyphones which are v expensive but look absolutely fab and easispeak microphones - from TTS. TTS is definately a great place to look for EYs ICT.

Hi i'm also looking for wire free head phones for the under 5's anyone out there know where i can look for some.

We have the Storyphones, which while expensive, do look to be extremely sturdy and child friendly. They are wire free.

Thanks holly 35 for the tip im looking right now. :(xD

They have a 'refer a friend' scheme going on at the moment - not sure of the details but it might be worth pursuing! :o

Oh yes they do! I'd forgotten. I think both parties get credit for their download store. If anyone is interested PM me and I'll look into it further. Thanks Maz!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)