Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Notice Received To Leave

HELP!

My staff have signed acontract that says they need to give me 2 weeks worked notice. This has worked well but to be honest no one has really left for ages so I havent has to really think about it too much.

The salaries are paid monthly with even payment which include the legal amount of holiday entitlement within each payment.

Now, one of my staff has offered her resignation in writing hoping that she is accepted for a september start job ( very likely to get it ). Her resignation letter was dated 1st July and we break up on the 16th July. My question is how long do I need to pay her for? Is it until the end of August?

Please someone give me you thoughts!

Her resignation letter was dated 1st July and we break up on the 16th July. My question is how long do I need to pay her for? Is it until the end of August?

If she has given two weeks' notice then she will stop accruing holiday entitlement on 15th July so if it were me I'd pay her as usual to the last day she works in the term. Unless there's something about your payroll system I don't understand, of course!

Maz

2 weeks worked notice is what she is giving you.. so this is what I would be paying...

this would be the 2 weeks (or til end of term if she works til then) plus any holiday pay not yet received up to the 15th of July.

Amount would depend on where your holiday pay year starts and ends... some companies do it Jan to Dec others Financial year so April to March ours was academic year Sept to August..

Inge

Edited by Inge

If she has given two weeks' notice then she will stop accruing holiday entitlement on 15th July so if it were me I'd pay her as usual to the last day she works in the term. Unless there's something about your payroll system I don't understand, of course!

Maz

As an example the pay is calculated as follows:

weeks pay £75 x 41 weeks (37 weeks worked plus 4 weeks holiday pay)

=£256.25 paid per month.

I think she should be paid until the end of term by schools pay their TA's until the end of aaaugust when they resign at the end of term, hence the doubt!

=£256.25 paid per month.

The current statutory amount of holiday pay is 5.6 weeks though goose - has been for a while now. :o

Maz

=£256.25 paid per month.

I think she should be paid until the end of term by schools pay their TA's until the end of aaaugust when they resign at the end of term, hence the doubt!

but if you are not a school and in private sector this is different...

you only pay for time worked and to end of resignation period...

but

from your calculations you pay for 37 weeks + holiday pay spread over 12 months... I am assuming the 37 weeks is the pay period from September in which case yes she would be due the wage for August if she has worked all of the 37 weeks.

Inge

The current statutory amount of holiday pay is 5.6 weeks though goose - has been for a while now. :o

Maz

I know its 5.6 for for thoes working full time, My PSLA looked on the HMRC site and the calculation tell you to use a formilua to work out the correct number based on the actual number of weeks worked which reduces it . Hope this is right though!

I know its 5.6 for for thoes working full time, My PSLA looked on the HMRC site and the calculation tell you to use a formilua to work out the correct number based on the actual number of weeks worked which reduces it . Hope this is right though!

Sorry can spell just cant type!

Thanks Maz - minor panic here! Have just checked out the HMRC site and clearly need to adjust my number of allocated holiday dates, following some bad advice from PSLA.

Still have my little problem of when to pay the leaving staff member until. What are your thoughts please.!?

I agree!

Maz

sorry, still a bit muddled here! she started her contract in September 19?? and has had all the half terms and breaks that school terms dictate so how do I calculate what she is due please?

I suppose it depends on how generous you are feeling - at least she's told you now, rather than leave it until a fortnight before you go back in September - which, if she was being 'greedy' she could have done, and claimed her August pay as well.

In the past my staff leaving at this time of year have just received their holiday entitlement as their August payment and been paid as normal in July

I suppose it depends on how generous you are feeling - at least she's told you now, rather than leave it until a fortnight before you go back in September - which, if she was being 'greedy' she could have done, and claimed her August pay as well.

In the past my staff leaving at this time of year have just received their holiday entitlement as their August payment and been paid as normal in July

Absolutely! She has been a great employee and I dont want to get this wrong and under pay what she is entitled to at all. I just feel out of my depth with knowing what the right amount should be.

Maybe this is why they tried to stop 'rolled up pay'

I'd be very annoyed if I'd worked my full 37 weeks and only got 11 months pay with a slight adjustment for holiday allowance!!!

But maybe goose doesn't do the rolled-up bit - then it would be paid up unitl the 16th.

Guest jenpercy

you need to work out the notice for each leaver individually taking account of what exactly has been worked and what has been paid. If your holiday year is from September to September, then this lady will be entitled to be paid for August, as she has been having some of her pay witheld each month to pay for August. This schem becomes much more cmplicated if someone leaves mid year of course

you need to work out the notice for each leaver individually taking account of what exactly has been worked and what has been paid. If your holiday year is from September to September, then this lady will be entitled to be paid for August, as she has been having some of her pay witheld each month to pay for August. This schem becomes much more cmplicated if someone leaves mid year of course

Thanks, that was clearly put.

Agree with Jenpercy

because of the way you calculate wages she would have worked her full 37 weeks - but as pay was divided into 12 months she would still be due August pay - Holiday pay would be entitlement up to 16th July.. but as this would only be a day or so less I don't think it is really worth worrying about..

I used to keep a spreadsheet of wages earned and wages paid... so that is someone left midyear it was easy to see if I owed them any money..(It was one I found on here, by Peggy but don't have it any more..) This also highlighted that early in the financial year it is always possible to have overpaid them when they leave!

Inge

Agree with Jenpercy

because of the way you calculate wages she would have worked her full 37 weeks - but as pay was divided into 12 months she would still be due August pay - Holiday pay would be entitlement up to 16th July.. but as this would only be a day or so less I don't think it is really worth worrying about..

I used to keep a spreadsheet of wages earned and wages paid... so that is someone left midyear it was easy to see if I owed them any money..(It was one I found on here, by Peggy but don't have it any more..) This also highlighted that early in the financial year it is always possible to have overpaid them when they leave!

Inge

Oh golly! I'm going quite mad now! Thank you for your help.

Would seeing Peggy's spreadsheet help with this, is Peggy around to oblige us if it would make things easier?

BMG

Oh yes please! Peggy are you there?

Guest jenpercy
Oh yes please! Peggy are you there?

Don't want to worry you further, as it does not apply in this case, but if you have paid someone too much holiday and want to deduct it on leaving, this needs to be in someone's contract and also ideally in the staff handbook. It could cause a lot of resentment and badmouthing of your setting if a staff member does not understand why they got less than they were expecting.

Only applies to mid-year leavers under this system, of course - and actually I can't do the maths, but I suspect that a mid-year leaver under this system MIGHT be due more money as they are putting away money for August threoughout the year.

I saw a reference earlier to calculating holiday pay for staff who work term times only, and I seem to think it was implied that they still get the full 5.6 weeks. In my understanding that as holiday pay is calculated on the actual hours worked over the last 12 weeks, plus any days of sickness that would have been worked, this has the effect of reducing the days of holiday allowed. If anyone has any evidence to the contrary I would like to see it.

Don't want to worry you further, as it does not apply in this case, but if you have paid someone too much holiday and want to deduct it on leaving, this needs to be in someone's contract and also ideally in the staff handbook. It could cause a lot of resentment and badmouthing of your setting if a staff member does not understand why they got less than they were expecting.

Only applies to mid-year leavers under this system, of course - and actually I can't do the maths, but I suspect that a mid-year leaver under this system MIGHT be due more money as they are putting away money for August threoughout the year.

I saw a reference earlier to calculating holiday pay for staff who work term times only, and I seem to think it was implied that they still get the full 5.6 weeks. In my understanding that as holiday pay is calculated on the actual hours worked over the last 12 weeks, plus any days of sickness that would have been worked, this has the effect of reducing the days of holiday allowed. If anyone has any evidence to the contrary I would like to see it.

thanks, I think I will pay her for August as she has been loyal and hardwrking and would really hate to get it wrong!

=£256.25 paid per month.

I used to work for an LEA and issue contracts etc for teaching assistants (and other non-teaching, monthly paid school staff) - TA's money is worked out using a complicated formula that I needed in front of me when I worked it out on a calculator then... but basically took the contractual hours for each week, multiplied by the weeks worked of the school term and divided it by the months of the year.

So a TA working to the end of the summer term, must be paid till the end of August or she will have NOT been paid for all her hours worked.

• 4 weeks later...