Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Puffles!

I have a group of boys that love to play outdoors, however last week they were spotted painting puffles! I want to continue with this theme to inspire thes boys with writing. I have had some ideas such as making player cards and making/designing their own puffles. Has anyone any further ideas?

Seems they need a lot of care, coul dyou ask them to write up menues, care plans etc and record when they check on them throughout the day?

I must admit I had to get the children to explain too, I'm still not entirely sure even though I have researched on the internet. They are something to do with Club penguin, which I believe is something to do with Disney. They look like balls with fury hair! From what I've gathered the penguins have puffles as pets and have to make sure they look after them. Each colour of puffle has different character traits and interests.I like the care plan idea. Another idea I've since thought of is puffles have no arms so we could explore how they might write using pencils/paintbrushes in mouths??! Sounds fun and I'm willing to give it a go!

I thought this might be what you meant by Puffles! My youngest is quite into them so he suggests if they are interested in Club Penguin generally that they could look at the secret agent aspect of it (seems they act as secret agents and go to collect items to solve puzzles). As you know I think, there is also the card trading aspect too and they could make their own using mark making or if you have the facilities, on the computer. They also have to learn how to look after them to keep them healthy and alive I think too, so that could lead to some other activities.

In my setting, I try hard not to promote exclusive commercial activities. I would be a bit miffed if my own children's teachers - at a state school- exposed them to Disney, or any other purely commercial, characters especially those of a club requiring payment for access. Following a chld's interests is one thing, but not at the expense of exluding those children who can not afford the membership, or whose parents specifically don't approve.

Go for it if you setting privately paid for and everyone's a member of the club though.

Getting off my high horse now.

Fe

Getting off my high horse now.

You make a good point, Fe. It is certainly something to consider, especially about possible parental objections. From what I've seen the Penguing club thing seems harmless but if I were a parent trying not to give in to pester power to sign up to it from my children I would probably be somehwat miffed if the children could add "but I need it because we're doing a topic on it at school" angle to their arguments!

That said, I guess it all depends on the thrust of the project, and how it is introduced and explained to everyone concerned. Who'd be a teacher eh - fraught with difficulties!

Perhaps when you decide what to do and how, Petal you'll come back and let us know how it went? I'm a bit out of touch with these kinds of things now my youngest is 13, but I'm willing to bet that this is a very popular topic of conversation in the nation's playgrounds!

Maz

I think justification to any parent would be that you are creating learning opportunities based on the children's current interests!!

I am new at this so hi to you all.

As I was reading this forum on puffles my daughte was playing on club penguin and she has a puffle of evey colour which she is very proud of. Anyway thats not why I am writing I just wanted to say that you can play club penguin without becoming a member and own a puffle.

Hi sillybanana and welcome to the forum.

Have to say I love the name.

My daughter uses club penguin too and we don't pay.

I can't see that supporting children's interests in Puffles are any worse than Action Man or any other character. I imagine you would offer this activity to those interested rather than a compulsory whole group activity.

If you did a topic on dogs you could be criticised for putting parents under pressure to get one or disadvantaging children who did not have one.

Yes it is not compuslory, some children have been designing their own puffles which we will make. It instigated all sorts of things today some children were creating them out of playdough, other painting both on the computer and on the easel. I have aimed it at getting some of my relunctant boys to write as tomorrow we will look at the player cards and encourage them to make a puffle card for their puffle if they want to. I haven't gone down the club penguin route, as I'm not even sure how to use it myself. Although you can join for free as thats what I did to find out more information.

I'm worrying now I might have done the wrong thing but I was trying to go with their interests. Maybe I've done the wrong thing. Anyway, its given me food for thought.

what about making huge pompoms and putting on googly eyes to look like a puffle? then each one could be labelled with their traits etc by the creator? They could create a story about their own one, where it lives, what it eats etc.

Then they would be pompom puffles and not the disney one??? :o

I'm worrying now I might have done the wrong thing but I was trying to go with their interests. Maybe I've done the wrong thing. Anyway, its given me food for thought.

It is always good to reflect on what you do, but remember the opinions expressed on here are purely personal and is as a result of 'thinking out loud'. You know your children and their families best of all - so don't worry too much. If it seemed like a good idea to you and the children are enjoying themselves and learning through this topic, then go with it and see where it leads you!

I like the idea of the player cards - are these like Top Trumps? I can see an awful lot of learning coming out of that activity!

Maz

Yes, it involves children thinking of a name for their puffle, writing about their special qualities, favourite toy etc.

Thanks for all the comments made, I value them all. It is really interesting to hear different people's perspectives. I hadn't considered some of the things that have been brought up.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)