Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Volcanic Ash

Gezabel

Hi

I am sure everyone is aware of the current postion with flights in and out of the UK

Just being nosy really xD is anyone else stuck or got a loved one stuck somewhere?

My eldest son is stuck in Bangalore :o was due to arrive at Heathrow tomorrow morning and then due to fly on holiday to Naples on Tuesday. Looks like he won't be going anywhere anytime soon but at least he has just booked extra nights at his hotel so he isn't without food and board! He is not a happy chappy though!

He has exhausted all possibilities of travel to anywhere near the UK and has concluded all he can do is stay put until the situation changes!

Edited by Geraldine

Friends stuck in the Dominican Republic....I am shocked at all the dust on the cars.....driving up the road a moment ago every car had a sheet of dust on....scarey stuff!

Hubby in Spain at mo, not yet struck there, but due back on Thursday so fingers crossed - however, did read somewhere that this volcano could go on "smoking" for indeterminate time - let's hope the wind changes so some flights can get going.

Our priest is stuck in Israel, where he was in pilgrimage. He won't be available for our English speaking Mass tomorrow morning. Today we also met some friends who came from the USA for the 2 week Easter holiday and they are stuck here in the country.

Friends were due to go to Egypt yesterday, going to France now instead! And a whole load of school children from local comp are stuck in Scicily (sp!), dont think they're bothered too much though!!!

I have 2 out fo 10 staff members stuck abroad, or at least I think one of them is going to be stuck - she was due to fly back from the Ukraine on monday.

The dilemma is do I postpone my new starter as his one to one is out of the country? Think I might have to; will already be running with just enough staff :o

I guess my son is one of the lucky ones! He was on an all expenses paid business trip but the company have just said 'enjoy the unexpected extra time' and of course they are footing the bill.

He is just keen to get back to his girlfriend and hoping their planned holiday to Naples will go ahead.

I have heard/read about the problems the situation has created. My heart goes out to some I have heard of who have a foreign wedding planned all that preparation etc etc

Others I know of are stranded with insurance companies saying 'tough luck' foot any extra costs yourself.

I think schools up and down the country may be low on numbers (staff and children) as so many have gone away for the school holidays.

No one in my family is stuck abroad. However we know people that are stuck abroad like for example in the US.

The intesting bits of all this apart from no planes in the sky is:

1) the mail is disrupted - link to the royal mail website:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump1?c...update_redirect

and

2) some of our food that we get from other countries are rotting. BUT no many people have noticed these problems yet.

Plus the lastest information is that we may be like this for a while.

Beth

Indeed, I have been thinking a lot about the economical consequences in many aspects... from personal, to family, business, countries, globally. It is a very serious situation indeed. Add to this all that has been happening around the world with so many natural disasters, like one after the other.

Our son was due to fly out on Thursday.. left home really early, spent ages getting to the airport, and during the journey airports started to close... they arrived at Heathrow 15 mins after all flights were grounded...

He is/was due on an important job in Brazil so now his company are waiting and hoping ... he has a hire car at home in case they can get out, and if not the company are trying to re route them all overland until they can fly.. last one was to drive/ferry/train get to Portugal .. and re route somehow from there.. One of his team is already there as they routed from a previous job but the rest stranded here- this job is important enough , they spent weeks getting visas and checks done to get there and if they cannot go it is delayed by a year and no one is happy at that prospect.. particularly the client..

and the biggest irony in all of this is he is a geologist..

His company now have people stranded all over the world unable to get home or go out on jobs.. at least they have the fact that is is work related makes it all so much easier for them, they are still paid and expenses etc all paid as well..

so far no ash but it does worry us as hubby has chronic asthma , only just recovered from illness yet again..

Just a thought.. Didn't Hali go to Cyprus about 10 days ago... is she still there I wonder or due back and not made it?

Inge

Just a thought.. Didn't Hali go to Cyprus about 10 days ago... is she still there I wonder or due back and not made it?

That's a good point Inge - I'll have to see if I have her mobile number anywhere and check!

Children are due back on school on Monday, so they may well be hoping the flights are delayed as long as possible!

Maz

I arrived back from visiting friends just before they closed the airspace. Bit disappointed really, could have done with the extra holiday!

Doesn't really look as though the situation is likely to change any time soon :(:(

My son has been told the earliest he can expect to fly home is April 28th - he is not happy!!

I have spent all morning searching for earlier flights and found some on april 23rd but the prices :oxD:(

are literally thousands for a single ticket

So for now he is stuck and his planned holiday to italy has gone by the board

I know others are in a far worse situation but still wish I could wave a magic wand and get him home!

my son is on a four day school trip in New York was suppose to arrive home friday gone but next available flights not till Tuesday (if all goes well this end) . He's getting a bit worried and so are we, as he has never been away from home. Plus its costing me a fortune transferring money to him.

• 2 weeks later...

yes we got stuck too.... :o

supposed to fly back on 19th - rebooked flights for 3rd May!!!!!! xD managed to get back today (BUT only because son broke his arm and spent two weeks in cypriot hospital so got special assissed flight back at 4am this morning!!!!!) holidays are such fun!!!! :(:(