Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help! Just Found Out I'm Pregnant...

Let me echo what Maz said about people telling you horror stories. I honestly dont know what happens to the human psychi when they see a pregnant woman. Its not so bad or the human race would have died out. :oxD

My mother-in-law gave me the best bit of advice 'every pain is one less to have'.

I didnt know I was pregnant till my waters broke! and gave birth with no pain relief at all as to late! its not that bad felt worse with sickness bugs!

had been to the doctors when id would have been 8mths to be told I had asthma and hay fever! needles to say I dont see that doctor any more!

we now have a healthy11 yr old boy, who weighed 8lb 3oz at birth.

SO a huge congratulations!!!

to get personal I had always had erratic persiods, heavy once then light then miss a few etc and carried on light then missed 2 then light again, and we had always been careful so god knows how it happened. they now say he was against my spine and under my diphram so thats why i didnt show, wore the same size 14 clothes the whole time, smoked(wished i had known , lived with the guilt for years) drank celebrated my 18th a few weeks before he was born. basically did everything your not meant to.

however after getting over the embarassment, guilt and everything else which took years! we have now been together 14 yrs married for 3 and have a healthy 11 yr old boy. and it never ceases to amaze me how many people say 'oh yeah my cousin, sister, I didnt know' still wouldnt put my pics in a magazine though!

stay away from sheep! know thats a silly thing to say but they carry awful things! I live on a farm so cant escape!

Big congratulations.......must be quite nice not knowing....then you are not worrying but just getting on with your life as normal. When we were trying for our first I remember that awful moment when it became apparent that it hadn't happened that month....dread to think how many tests we did :(

My babies are now nearly 16 and finishes school in 4 weeks to start study leave for GCSE's and the little one just turned 13!!

Where the time has gone I don't know...there have been ups and downs....tears and tantrums (sometimes from the children :oxD )....lots of laughter and heaps of love.

Just take one day at a time Lucy....enjoy the good ones and forget the bad ones....and if you can't forget them then try and learn something from them

Take all the advice you hear with a pinch of salt.....do what works for you and the little one

Take care of you and the bump

Sue x

Just a little update - I have to wait till next week for my scan and my midwife appointment - but at least the scan is before her appointment so she can't say "Well when you've had your scan we can...." But told everyone at work today and they are really happy for me :) - Which is a relief! Especially as I only started there in January! Have calmed down a lot since last week, was nice to get back to work today to some normality and not constant pregnancy thoughts! Going to tell all the parents and children after my scan.

Lucy - a happy hobbit :D

How exciting sharing your news!!

Your scan will make your pregnancy even more "real" and you'll get an estimated date for delivery, too - so you can begin your countdown in earnest :o

My friend has recently had a "surprise" baby daughter!! She found out she was expecting, aged 40, when her sons were 13 and 12, and she thought her family complete despite leaving it to Mother Nature xD Laila is now a gorgeous 2 week old! :(

Mum found it a looooooong pregnancy as she was so vague on dates!! She estimated 14 February, hospital said mid March but Laila chose 3 April!! :(

She was definitely worth the wait though!

Nona

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd update you guys - had my first scan today (which should have been 18 weeks) and found out - to my immense delight that I am only 12 weeks pregnant :o Just knowing I have an extra 6 weeks makes a huge mental difference to me - and I will now not miss out on a second scan and I have a cute little grainy picture of my baby to carry around with me xD:(

Lucy - very proud mummy-to-be :(

Edited by Guest

How exciting sharing your news!!

Your scan will make your pregnancy even more "real" and you'll get an estimated date for delivery, too - so you can begin your countdown in earnest :o

My friend has recently had a "surprise" baby daughter!! She found out she was expecting, aged 40, when her sons were 13 and 12, and she thought her family complete despite leaving it to Mother Nature xD Laila is now a gorgeous 2 week old! :rolleyes:

Mum found it a looooooong pregnancy as she was so vague on dates!! She estimated 14 February, hospital said mid March but Laila chose 3 April!! :(

She was definitely worth the wait though!

Nona

Oh how lovely and I really like that name! ;) Now I'm singing the Eric Clapton song! :unsure:

Thought I'd update you guys - had my first scan today (which should have been 18 weeks) and found out - to my immense delight that I am only 12 weeks pregnant :( Just knowing I have an extra 6 weeks makes a huge mental difference to me - and I will now not miss out on a second scan and I have a cute little grainy picture of my baby to carry around with me :( :wacko:

Lucy - very proud mummy-to-be xD

Lucy how lovely.......and I quite understand how an 'extra' six weeks makes a lot of difference! :ph34r:

Now I'm singing the Eric Clapton song! :o

THANKS - now I am too!!!

How lovely to feel we are all part of your 'journey' - looking forward to seeing all the pix in due course!

Lucy - that's great news!

Enjoy the thought of the extra 6 weeks to plan and prepare.... when you get to 34 weeks you'll be desperate for those last 6 weeks to whizz by!!!!!!!!!! :o

Nona

That's lovely news and can fully understand your thoughts about the extra 6 weeks to prepare etc. Use them as well to have some time for you and to really enjoy this special time in your life.

Looking forward to hearing about your next scan and can imagine that you have been showing your little picture to everyone with a huge smile on your face.

Take care

Nicky Sussex :oxD

Best of luck!

I agree with the advice not to pay too much attention to other people's horror stories. Something about pregnancy and birth turns women all competitive - they feel a need to either have had it the easiest of the hardest. You know the types, pregnant as soon as their husband looked at them, sailed through the pregnancy, 2 hour labour and just smiled the baby out, or trying for 12 years, in hospital all through pregnancy, laboured for 2 weeks, pushed for 4 hours, split down the middle etc etc etc

Also beware old ladies (and this, sadly, can involve your mum, mother-in-law, aunty, granny etc etc) who want to tell you you are doing it all wrong. My mum said a wise thing when I had my first daughter, and that was that you don;t have to take any notice of advice you haven't asked for.

My mum said a wise thing when I had my first daughter, and that was that you don;t have to take any notice of advice you haven't asked for.

How true!

Both my Mum and Mum-in-Law gave me a hard time when I was breastfeeding. Every time my daughter cried they'd start on how it was because she was thirsty blah, blah.... but the GP, midwife, Health Visitor said she didn't need water, introducing a bottle could be confusing etc and to keep going as I was because Baby was thriving.

However, I tied myself in knots about it all until I had a fantastic piece of advice from a Health Visitor, who was a Grandma herself...

LIE!!!!! xD

She brought me a Baby bottle, poured a little tap water into it and left it on the mantelpiece... and they stopped asking/nagging!

It stayed there for weeks, as an ornament, dusted and water changed regularly :o We just made sure they didn't actually give our daughter any to drink!

I've passed the "lie" advice on to many parents I've childminded for over the years, when they've been stressing about unhelpful comments on sleeping patterns etc and IT WORKS FOR EVERYONE!!!! :(

Nona