Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I Need A Rant

Had a committee meeting this morning, all going fine, agreed fee increase, budget, etc. etc.

Then got to any other business.

Committee member says she has something she wants to say. Starts to attack the way preschool is run (our lead practitioner was there, I felt awful for her). Complains about freeflow, not enough plastic toys out (we've been trying to move towards more open ended activities/resources), too cold in hall (because door open for freeflow), children don't know what to do, routine no good, why don't they line up to wash hands anymore, etc. etc. etc.

I am officially spitting blood. I was very polite and told her freeflow is non negotiable. I said she needs to read EYFS to learn more about child initiated learning and if she wants she is welcome to attend all the meetings we've been having with EY advisors, who are really pleased with how we've progressed. Plus she is welcome to put in the 20 hours plus that I've been on things like SEF, planning, etc. etc.

She used to be primary teacher, old school approach, thinks we're not doing enough reading and writing, that kind of thing. She's been involved for a number of years and started going on about how great things used to be. I pointed out that our last Ofsted was only satisfactory so it can't have been that great. I also pointed out that we are not on committee to put forward our own philosophical view about what should or should not happen, but to support our staff in what they do, and to trust them to use their professional judgement.

The last straw was when I went back to pick up my daughter, she had left a copy of a parent questionnaire I handed out in January, with ticks on everything being inadequate. Luckily I had done a summary of this a couple of weeks back, all others came back with ticks on good and outstanding.

Sorry rant over, but what happens next, do I ask her to step down? We can't have someone on committee who is so negative about what we're trying to achieve.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :o

The joys Suzie, the joys! :o

Can a committee member be asked to step down? I have no idea, but really, what does she get out of being a member and what does she contribute if thats the opinion she has?

What did the other members think?

Sit her down with her questionaire and the EYFS folder. Go through every point with her, then ask her if she still wants to stay as a representative of asetting she so clearly doesnt like.

Edited by Rea

owww i aam sooo glad i am out of a committee run group. Pretty sure you cannot ask her to step down and suggest as Rea says sit her down with you and an EY adviser and go through EYFS with her - good luck x :o

Please rant. That seems to be mostly what I do and I do it here so that the people around me will keep talking to me!

I hope this is not someone who is planning to go back into teaching and if so not the Foundation Stage or she will have a bit of a shock.

Feel free to rant - I'm outraged on your behalf xD

I'd do as Rea suggests but also pass on details of the EYFS training courses in your area and ask if she'd like you to book her on one so she can more clearly see how well you are meeting the 6 areas of learning! (Don't think the trainers will thank you for it though :o )

Nona

Couldn't just read and run.......have no experience of Committee run groups....

She sounds just awful - no wonder you felt the need to rant!

She clearly has no idea what she is talking about.......good advice already.......sorry I can't be more helpful, just wanted to add support!

SuzieC8, well done you on saying exactly the right thing at the meeting. I usually have all the right words in my head but they don't seem to come out of my mouth in the same way! Is the committee member a parent rep or co-opted? In either case she would need to be reelected at your AGM....... Otherwise I have nothing of value to add to the sound advice you have already received. As you say, she's clearly 'old-school' and set in her ways and opinions. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

When I was playleader, a meeting to discuss the summer fayre became a tirade by one member (she was a parent) against the session her son attended. We didnt do this right, that right, he wasnt writing..on and on and on. I was gobsmaked, none of these concerns had been brought up before and the deputy had been working really closely with her in helping her son to settle, and now she was using a summer fayre meeting to have a go at me and my staff!

Unfortunatly she'd been taking advice about the FS from the secretary, none of the other committee stood up for me in the way you stood up for your manager so I went home and wrote an open letter to all the committee and parents, telling them what I had been made aware of and absolutley backed the staff and their actions to date, I praised even where praise wasnt needed, according to me the sun shone out of every orifice they had. I told everyone how they must always come directly to me at the first hint of a concern and how, the committee, although good and helpful didnt necessarily understand the FS . The woman left and took her son to a nursery who at the time spent loads of time with worksheets.

Blimey, didnt realise I still felt so mad!! xD

Write a letter, tell your parents you've been told of some concerns, explain all and then let the general chat while they wait for the doors to open do the rest :o

I laughed when I read the bit about plastic toys - isn't it amazing how much these things are still valued?

Get her on some Sally Thomas training - she'll soon disabuse her of any notion that her ideas are still valid in pre-schools these days!

Good for you for sticking up for your staff.

Maz

Aww guys thanks so much.

I had some lovely news just now. We got the capital funding bid I put in a load of work for earlier in the year. It is a load of money for our outdoor area. Freeflow rules!!!

that is good news.... not sure this committee member will be very happy though.

I would suggest training / getting her to attend the meetings with your advisor and let her try to 'sort her out' a bit!

Your staff are lucky to have someone who actually understands and allows them to do the job they are trained to do... backing them up when needed..

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)