Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sickness

sunnyday

Hi all

Nice subject for a Saturday afternoon - sorry! :(xD

My little corner of Kent is in the grip of a nasty tummy bug........

I have always excluded for 48 hours from last bout of sickness or diarrhoea - primary school have just sent letters home to parents stating 24 hours exclusion :o

Have I gone mad (please feel free to say yes) :(

Where did I get 48 hours from? I think from HPA.........

How long is your exclusion?

Well sunnyday - l'd like to think it is 48 hours - that is what our policy states, however, from conversations with children, it would appear that some parents still think otherwise xD

Not sure when 48 hrs came from either but must have come down from high somewhere :o

No you're not going mad. Exclusion for sickness and diahorrea is 48 hours. I had a parent complain to EHO about our explusion period and the EHO told her it was correct and actually rang me to congraulate us for adhering to it, as although some settings say 48 hours, apparently very few stick to it!!

I would just counter it by saying you have to go with the advice you're given. Also your children are younger and therefore more vulnerable and less skilled in personal hygiene.

Funny how people are often happy to send their own child back early but the same people can be quite vocal when they think another child has infected theirs. I've got a similar issue with conjunctivitis at the moment.

We were advised by the local HPU that schools could use 24 hours as their children were older and had better hygiene habits. Not sure which children they based this on mind! They also said that older children tended to not carry the bug for quite as long as younger ones. This is the explanation I always give my parents when they question our 48 hour rule. Incidentally we also apply the 48 hour rule with staff, although that is a whole other can of worms.

We have 48hrs too - following HPA advice.

One of my pet hates is the lovely way parents try to describe why their child's sickness is different from everyone elses eg "....well yes he/she has been sick but it's not proper sick like a bug......."

So many parent experts in this area? Anyone else have this problem?

Oh yes. We often have children who have a mysterious sickness bug caused by coughing too hard. Except they are sick on my feet without coughing too! And others are only "ever sick once and then s/he will be fine really".

Funny how people are often happy to send their own child back early but the same people can be quite vocal when they think another child has infected theirs. I've got a similar issue with conjunctivitis at the moment.

Great - I appear to have caught it now!

Oh no :o

Oh Yes!

It's ok I always keep a new bottle of antibiotic eye-drops in the fridge for my daughter on GP's advice. It came in very handy today - i caught it early and you can hardly tell now. I wonder if I should mention it to a certain parent later this week xD

I wonder if I should mention it to a certain parent later this week :o

I wouldn't wait until then - I'd helpfully let them know that you might not be able to look after their child later in the week because you appear to have got conjunctivitis... xD

Maz