Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Breadmaker Advice And Thoughts For My Son

Rea

Hi everyone. My son has been set an assignment at Uni by Kenwood. He has to come up with new ideas for breadmakers, to simplify their use, make them more environmentaly friendly, cut down on parts used and to make them more efficient and easiler to use. I dont own one so cant help him so I wondered if any of you who have one could give me some pros and cons of their use, anything you would like to change or add to make them better and what you like/dislike about your particular one. The make you have you would be useful too.

Thanks for your input :oxD

umm i have one and love it - dont use it very often though as it takes soooo long - by the time i think 'oww ill make a loaf for lunch/dinner its too late. also i do the bread quite heavy 9althjough very yummy when still warm). A for machine its easy to clean no major parts so am happy with that :o

Hi everyone. My son has been set an assignment at Uni by Kenwood. He has to come up with new ideas for breadmakers, to simplify their use, make them more environmentaly friendly, cut down on parts used and to make them more efficient and easiler to use. I dont own one so cant help him so I wondered if any of you who have one could give me some pros and cons of their use, anything you would like to change or add to make them better and what you like/dislike about your particular one. The make you have you would be useful too.

Thanks for your input :oxD

Mine is a Tesco cheapy I bought it to use in school with reception so not a Kenwood (although I worked for them in a previous life)

It is as I said "basic" select the type of bread or cake you wish to make add ingredients and press go ... only fault I have is the shape of the resulting loaf.

Mine's a panasonic as it has a gluten free option. I like a 'speed bake' too, so you get a loaf in 90 mins or so when I'm using it non-gf at Preschool, so it's ready for snack.

My gripe would be the blade/paddle making a great hole in the loaf so the middle slices aren't as useable. If the blade could drop down before the baking process began, that'd be good

I suppose, for students, to encourage them to make bread, it would be good to have a very simple machine, with ingredients printed on the outside! Whack it all in, switch it on and have a loaf in an hour or so. The shorter the cooking time the more environmentally friendly, I'd have thought. Simple controls, it's all in the pan, switch it on and walk away. The less complicated the better.

I love my bread-maker. Like Cait I have a panasonic and my only gripe is the same in that sometimes the paddle stays inside the loaf, and even if it doesn't the middle has a small 'cut' in it. I use mine every other day and I like a mixed granary/wholemeal, but it does take 5 hours :o It looks perfect and tastes yummy.

I have a Panasonic. My aunt has a cookworks one, and hers is better as it has a viewing window, also it comes with a hook so that you can pull up the handle to remove the pan without burning your hands.

Also, mine came with a measuring spoon and a water cup for measuring the water out but the cup is too small, and you have to fill it twice to get the right amount of water for a medium or large loaf. So I would like a water cup that is big enough.

Can something be down about the fact it stays hot for so long afterwards - can this heat be used for anything?

Thanks for these, just the sort of thing I think he needs.

So it seems the blade system could be improved

Any utensils included it should be big enough to do the job

Shorter cooking time would be more environmentally friendly

Simpler instructions

some thought could be given to the shape of the end product. With my previous breadmaker I used to get tall thin loaves that had to be sliced sideways, which was ok, but a bit of a pain.

Has he tried going on amazon and reading some reviews?

hi i dont use mine very often but i too find the fact that the paddle is stuck inside middle of loaf leaving a great hole is not good -can they think of a way to change that?

would be good as when i cut the loaf after a few slices there is a great big bit missing where blade has been xx

Has he tried going on amazon and reading some reviews?

I think he's looking everywhere he can Cait. A consumer research company has given them some feedback but he still needed more of an idea. We have a bread maker according to my hubby. I dont remember ever seeing it though, I'm sure he's dreamt it. But when son comes home in the week for a visit he's going to carefully take it a part to see how its made. Then, I definitley wont have a bread maker!!

I'll print all these comments for him to take a look at, so thanks everyone. Keep the comments coming :o

Hmmm,

not a comment you're looking for, Rea, but all this talk of fresh bread and my mouldy loaf from Sainsbury's (bought yesterday!) has made me decide to get one. When he's finished, if he has any recommendations I'll be glad of them :o

Sue