Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Goes With Archie?

Archie my border terrier is a year old on the first of March and we have been debating getting a second dog. My husband and I have experience of owning one dog but never two so this has been a harder decision. We've been watching for a local litter to come up but I've been pestering my other half to ring Archies breeder to see if she had another litter due. He's got the most fantastic personality.He's rung this morning and she has a litter 10 days old!!! They have the same dad as Archie and his auntie is mum so she will be his half sister.She recommends a bitch and has 2, both black and tan so no choice on the colour.All seems like its meant to be.

Two questions:

Suggestions for a name to go with Archie-Thinking of one with a different sounding ending to help with recall so trying to avoid ie-y ending names. Archie is an older type boys name and so far we have-Mabel but would like some other suggestions.

Anyone who has experience of owning two dogs especially introducing a small puppy to a pampered pet :o give us any tips?????

Dropping off a deposit today so hoping to catch a glimpse of the babes and to take a photo.

Someone posted about expecting a Westie pup-has it arrived and what name did you choose???

Hiya - you know what I'm going to say don't you?!!!! xD

I'm soooooo jealous!

You lucky, lucky thing..........I like Mabel.........Flo, Grace, Matilda.......hmmm..........no really like Mabel! :(

Have only had a dog 'one at a time' - sure that I have read somewhere that before bringing new dog home you should 'collect' its scent on a blanket or something and introduce that to existing dog.......could have dreamt that though! :o

Has Archie been neutered? If not how will you deal with that?

Hope you get a photo! :(

My sister has 4 dogs and when she introduces a new one she does it on neutral territory, like in the park or somewhere. Apparently working sheepdogs have names with different vowel sounds so they know their names (Our shepherd neighbour tells me, he has Jim, Ben, Sue and Amy) So theoretically it's not the 'ie' ending they listen for. If that's right it opens up more names for you - plus, you hear people adding the 'ie' on anyway (I know our neighbour does with all his when he's patting them!)

My sis has a website for her business if you like doggy things here which has pix of some of her dogs in too, amongst the collars and leads etc!

Thanks ladies!!! great tips already. Yes Archie is neutered so no problem there. It was the breeder that suggested dog/bitch rather than dog/dog. The scent idea is a good one. but possibly a bit to early to rub her in a rag today as she won't come home for at least 4-6 weeks. The neutral ground is also good but as the new puppy won't have had its injections I'm not sure where that could be? Interesting about the vowels.

The sheepdogs sound like an episode of the Waltons!!

I'm back! :(

Can you tell I'm going to spend the whole day thinking about your new dog! :o

I'm sure the breeder will have all sorts of good advice about doggy introductions!

If you wanted to stick with 'A' you could have Amelia, Adele..........no I still like Mabel!!! xD

If you want some 'safe' neutral ground - use my garden - might be a bit far to come though!!!

Edited by sunnyday

Hi

I have two dogs, Toby is 14 & Max is 13, as you can tell we had them a year apart. Apart from keeping them apart and giving the supervised play when Max was a tiny pup, we didn't have any problems. I had them when I was at college so when I started working & I could'nt always get back to them I knew they had each other for company.

Hope all goes well.

What an exciting time for you - loving Mabel too or - how about Archie and Alice? or if you are an Eastenders fan - let's see if a woman killed off the Archie character on Friday!! :oxD Sorry - got carried away then. I'm sure once you see her you will instantly know just what to call her.

Edited by Panders

Hi - i like the name mabel too! Think the scent idea is a good one - think that is also what you are supposed to do when introducing a new baby to a dog so its probably a good idea!

What an exciting time for you - loving Mabel too or - how about Archie and Alice? or if you are an Eastenders fan - let's see if a woman killed off the Archie character on Friday!! :oxD Sorry - got carried away then. I'm sure once you see her you will instantly know just what to call her.

Well as long as it's not Janine :( that just doesn't 'go' with Archie!!! :(

We've just got back from visiting the litter-2 bitches probably black and tan and a red dog. Mum called Molly was very sweet. She Archies mums sister. They were a quiet box room and their eyes are not yet open.

Re Eastenders: Archie was named after Archie Mitchell so did wonder about 'Peggy' or the murderer.But I think RYAN did it!!! I believe there has been a rush of betting on Tracey the barmaid and no offence to any Traceys but its not a good name for a dog. My car is called Roxie, Ronnie sounds like a boy, Janine-duh!! Dot but I don't think Dot Cotton could have lifted the bust.

Today has been one of those spooky days so really think we were meant to get a Mabel. First ringing the breeder just in case. When I left the board this morning and opened the web site statistics for my shop the most viewed item was for 'Mabel Lucie Attwell' fabric. There was a large parcel in the hallway of the breeder addressed to my grandad's name.

We are going to visit again 2 weeks before they can leave mum to choose between the 2 little girls unless someone else shows an interest in which case she will rings us so we can make an earlier choice.I will take a blankets to wipe her with and bring home to Archie get used to the scent as suggested She's going to keep her until after the weekend of my daughters birthday as it will not be an ideal time to introduce a puppy with visitors. The puppy crate is out and airing off and so Archie gets used to it being around. How will I contain myself for the next few weeks??????

Bhargee? (As in argee-bhargee- no idea how to spell it)

Now this is sheer genius. xD

My vote would be Mable or Mabel. Then you could call 'come outside' when it is time for a walk and 'time to fly' when its time to go home... :o

Maz

Archie my border terrier is a year old on the first of March and we have been debating getting a second dog. My husband and I have experience of owning one dog but never two so this has been a harder decision. We've been watching for a local litter to come up but I've been pestering my other half to ring Archies breeder to see if she had another litter due. He's got the most fantastic personality.He's rung this morning and she has a litter 10 days old!!! They have the same dad as Archie and his auntie is mum so she will be his half sister.She recommends a bitch and has 2, both black and tan so no choice on the colour.All seems like its meant to be.

Two questions:

Suggestions for a name to go with Archie-Thinking of one with a different sounding ending to help with recall so trying to avoid ie-y ending names. Archie is an older type boys name and so far we have-Mabel but would like some other suggestions.

Anyone who has experience of owning two dogs especially introducing a small puppy to a pampered pet :o give us any tips?????

Dropping off a deposit today so hoping to catch a glimpse of the babes and to take a photo.

Someone posted about expecting a Westie pup-has it arrived and what name did you choose???

How exciting but sorry no advice to offer as I have never owned two dogs at the same time. Pretty useless on names too as we are also trying to think of a female name.

It's me that posted about the westie pup - soooooooooo excited, not hear yet but due to be born in three weeks and then of course I have to wait 7-8 weeks before I can have him/her. We have first choice of the litter and are hoping for a dog who we are hoping to call Theo (unless he doesn't look like a Theo when we meet him!) but if it is an all female litter I am lost for names!!!

hi so exciting, we have two farm dogs and they both end in ie, jessie and tilley, we have no problem with the sounding, but then they'll answer to dog, mut, buttly(because tilley shakes her whole 'butt' when she wags her tail!)etc all said with affection of course, my mother in laws dog is holly so when all three are here its a bit of a mouthful,

jess is 9, tilley is 4, so jess had 5 years of being an only dog and being very pampered as she is our first dog as a family, i also was unsure about how she would accept tilley, but she was fantastic i did supervise them and if had to go out left them in seperate rooms, my father in law scared me because he says years ago they bought a new farm pup and there orginal bitch queenie nipped its head and killed it, so sorry to scare mongre but i wish you all the luck in the world

i love puppies and dogs would have loads and loads if i could!!

Ahhhhhhhh - loved the photos! :o

I know that you don't really want a name that ends in 'y' .....but.......we had a little girl at pre-school some years back......her name was 'Finty'........very pretty I thought! xD

Archie and Finty.......hmmm....I quite like that :(

You need to be careful with names that go together in case you 'lose' one. So you may start with salt and pepper and sugar and spice, and end up with salt and spice if you get my meaning.

My friend had cats called Ben and Diz (Benjamin Disraeli) and I always thought that was great, could you find a famous Archie whose surname you could tweak?

Could you find a famous Archie whose surname you could tweak?

Still comes back to Archie Mitchell I'm afraid. I typed Archie into google and just came back with an American comic called Archie and the female characters are Veronica (so maybe Ronnie did do it?) and Betty. There seems to be a lack of famous Archies. 'Lottie' is now in the mix with Mabel. One of my teachers had cats called Duck, Bill and Platty :o

In case you don't get it roll over this

duck billed platypus (pusses)

• 3 weeks later...

We have been today to select which bitch and I believe we've choosen the little one we took a photo of at 10 days old. She has a little bit of white on her chest but the little red dog was a star so hope he goes to a good home I really fell for him.The breeder is advertising the remaining 2 today now we have choosen.I rubbed a rag over her but Archie wasn't to interested in it.

She's coming home on 27th March to her pink bed with pink blankets :o and she's called

Little 'Lottie' Lee

First 2 photo's are Lottie and the 3rd is the boy curled on the breeders feet. We also met Archie's mum Tilly again and were shock at the likeness in the faces although Archie is a bigger build like his dad.

Edited by Guest