Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Web Site Design

Hi all

My pre school doesn't have a website but I know we would really benefit from one. Thing is....I don't know where to start! Well, I say that, but I have set out my front page as an image on paint and word.

Is there a certain format that settings use? I've seen some similar ones with regards to layout.

I look forward to your replies!

Thanks

ppp

Websites are written in a language called HTML. If you click 'View' on your browser and then 'View Source' or 'View Page Source', depending on which browser you're using, you'll get a page popping up showing the HTML for the page you're viewing.

It might look horrifying to you and would certainly take a bit of familiarisation to get used to. Products like Microsoft's Frontpage Express, or NetObjects Fusion simplify the process - it's possible your school has access to something like this?

Hi all

My pre school doesn't have a website but I know we would really benefit from one. Thing is....I don't know where to start! Well, I say that, but I have set out my front page as an image on paint and word.

Is there a certain format that settings use? I've seen some similar ones with regards to layout.

Thanks

ppp

I have just written one for the setting I work at using Microsoft Office Front Page 2003 and used Mecca Hosting to host the website. They were so helpful - I have never done anything like this before and am very chuffed with the results. Our previous one was written using netobjects but I personally found the templates to 'busy', I wanted something plain and easy to read.

L

x

Edited by Guest

have you looked at the web sites which offer free hosting .. there are some specifically for schools I believe and they have a template you use.. some offer a choice of template.. here is just one I found with a google search.. don't know what it is like, but someone on here is sure to use one...

I did notice Hampshire Co Council have free web space for organisations.. no seen it before but could be worth looking at local site..

Schools online looked interesting too.. I did begin to go in further and it is a free annual subscription... (which in itself sounded a bit strange... ) but may be the sort of thing you are looking for..

now over to of those who use these sites... I know there are some..

(we were lucky and had an ex-parent offer to set up ours and bought us our domain name , he taught me how to use it.. and it was so much like here it was a doddle!)

Inge

Would love to see some of your websites, are you able to put on links?? Thinking of going down this route too and dont have a clue what one should look like

We too were lucky to have an ex parent design ours and deal with the hosting. He also keeps it updated for us too, although I keep feeling we should perhaps do that ourselves then we could be more responsive with regard to things like being closed for snow. If anyone wants to see our layout PM me.

Hi, I used www.weebly.com, it's a free website design tool, it's really simple, you just drag and drop things onto the page. I bought a fun domain name and 'pointed' it to the weebly site (not difficult but a bit time consuming, buy an address at www.fasthosts.co.uk or similar), but you could just use the free weebly address.

Sorry don't want to reveal our website address on here as I would lose my anonimity but if you message me I can let you have it.

Hi though anonimity would be a problem, but thanks for pm, now got some sort of idea as to what to add to website (looks really good by the way) Thanks again

Thank you everyone! So helpful as always.

I'll let you know how I get on, although I may not start it until Feb week off.

If anyone else uses a different site builder, let me know.

ppp

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all

Thanks

ppp

I do web design if you're interested and I'm very reasonable!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)