Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Free Places

Rea

I probably know the answer to this but thought I'd ask anyway...does anyone know of anywhere I could go to for help with funding a childs place. We have a child who's mom has had to withdraw because she cant afford the £12.00 a week. We're going to ask the family support worker at our local surestart but do you know of aywhere I can go to? She doesnt qualify for the grant until Spetember but I really dont think its right that someone who needs it should be excluded because she cant pay. We cant afford to give her a free place although I'd like to, it might set a precedent and then we'd really have problems.

I dont suppose there is anywhere is there? I just thought I'd ask, because I hate having to allow her to leave.

We occasionally used to fund or part fund sessions.. never felt it set a precedent as only I , treasurer and the parent involved ever knew... it was kept very confidential and we could assess each one as and if we felt the need. in fact no on ever asked for this we ofered when we saw a situation such as this.. we often arranged for parent to pay as much as they felt they could afford as a token say £2 or £3 and we would help with rest.. they all felt they were not getting 'charity' which is the way some saw it.

Other way we managed to get some funding was via the HV who would apply to our social services and they would fund for one or two session a week until official funding kicked in.. this had to be started by the parent.. and did not always work , but found it was always worth trying.

Inge

Some years ago the local PSLA committee sponsored a child at our setting for a term until she was old enough for funding, but that was when they got it at 4. I know they virtually stopped this when the funding came along for 3 year olds, - worth a try though if you are a member.

these days I have a small fund which I put by a few pounds each term for this type of eventuality, at the moment it has £127 in it - not much but it grows quietly and is there when it may be needed.

My response is pretty much along the same lines as Inge and Panders........I have had the odd child without any payment attached when I knew there was genuine hardship.........

Also have had children who were given funding through the HV - this hasn't happened for years - I have it in my mind that this could only be for about 7 weeks - that's if I am 'remembering' correctly...........

Why not agree how much she can manage to pay (£2 a week?) and then let her pay at this level until funding starts, then carry on paying until the amount owed is paid off. We let a parent defer paying in this way and it seemed to work fine.

do you live in a village? there is a scheme in our village run via the parish council that has a family in need fund, this has been used by us in the past, they don't pay all of the asked amount but have often given a big chunk of the money towards the fees, we tend to then subsidise the rest and do it on a strictly confidentual agreement (we find that there aren't many people that shout about how they can't afford to pay and are very greatful for the support!)

:o Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to put it ot the committee that she pay a small amount. I think I was feeling pi**ed off that she has had to withdraw when we keep hearing of the funding the government has put into EY. Surestart dont reach these people and we cant always afford to give them a place.

Thanks again

we often allow parents to pay a smaller amount than they owe each week - they then continue paying once their child is funded until all fees have been paid. so a parent owing £12 per week could pay half that and then continue opaying £6 a week once the child was funded until all monies paid

You haven't said how old the child is, some areas have "pilot" funding for 2 year olds in areas of deprevation; they do have specific criteria about benefits and unemployment I think but worth asking someone in your LA that deals with the 3 & 4 year old funding might be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck with this, I had a similar situation with a two year old and just kept digging 'til I spoke to the right person and got the money!

The council recently sent me apiece about how we could qualify for 2yr olds funding but we cant. We need an outstanding or good at the last Ofsted and a graduate in our employ. But thanks for the ideas.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)