Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

National Day Nurseries Association Or Psla

I am in the process of renewing my insurance and as we are now able to offer back to back sessions of 2.5 hours am offering 5 hours each day including lunch. I have usually used the PSLA for my insurance and have been a member for years.

However

Another insurer is now able to offer much more competitive rates for my insurance now that my hours have changed

This has also made me think about whether to become a member of the National Day Nurseries Assoc. rather than the PSLA - I really can't justify the cost of belonging to both.

If you had to choose which association do you think offers its members the best for the money? (Current rates are £90 PSLA and £145 NDNA).

PS I have never had any problems with the PSLA but apart from getting the Under 5 mag. I don't really derive much more of a benefit from being a member.

Thanks for reading :o

Yeah PSLA have a hotline too. This is a decision we've looked at before. Sunnyday has a good insurance company, I forget what it's called - hopefully she'll be on in a bit to tell you! She gets newsy, helpful emails too and they have been supportive too, apparently

I use Morton Michel for insurance which are very competitive and have e mail newsletters etc. You can be a member of PSLA without using their insurance, which we used to do, but when I felt PSLA were not supportive enough over the original funding crisis a couple of years ago instead of re-newing I sent the money to the fighting fund for Save our Nurseries and I have never re-joined - can't say I've missed them! They stopped sending out advisors in my area to visit nurseries and pre-schools long ago, I didn't feel the PSLA local committee were very active, unless you looked them out.

I do occasionally worry that I am not a member of any professional body, just in case there are legal problems, but I don't lose sleep over it!

Yeah PSLA have a hotline too. This is a decision we've looked at before. Sunnyday has a good insurance company, I forget what it's called - hopefully she'll be on in a bit to tell you! She gets newsy, helpful emails too and they have been supportive too, apparently

Morton Michel..........have been with them 'forever'........

I do have membership with PLA .....but just membership - not insurance

Thanks for the replies - am looking to change to Morton Michel as they have the most competitive price this year.

Both NDNA and PSLA have the legal helpline which seems to be pretty much the only benefit for being a member of either - in my area the PSLA rep is on some sort of secondment to the local authority so not really v. independent and meetings are few and far between with little additional info over and above what we get from the LA.

Perhaps my membership £s are better spent with a union instead of a professional body?