Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Snow!

sunnyday

Sooooo

Managed to get back to work today.........we have been closed for 3 days due to the ridiculous amount of snow! This seemed even worse because we had an extended Christmas holiday - finished with party on 14th December and not back until 6th Jan.

Car park awful - although it had been ploughed at some point - path equally awful :o

A team of parents - about 6 of them I think - brought shovels with them when they came to collect their children - they completely cleared the path and put grit down too! xD

How kind - this was all done without a word to me - until they had finished it!!!

There was me thinking they might be a bit resentful about the snow closure.......they are fantastic! :(

Aww thats nice of the parents.

Glad you managed to get back to work. I only had one snow day but:

Ummm Beth and snow covered pavements/road with ice underneath DO NOT mix well! I am now off work sick since I slipped walking to work yestderday morning. I have hurt my back and this morning I noticed I have pulled too many muscles in my body!

So I am off work for a short while. I wish this snow would go away!

Beth

We too had this. I was so touched as they worked most of the morning on it for me. I know they were probably just thankful to get their little people back in but even so they could have just dropped and run.

Ummm Beth and snow covered pavements/road with ice underneath DO NOT mix well! I am now off work sick since I slipped walking to work yestderday morning. I have hurt my back and this morning I noticed I have pulled too many muscles in my body!

Beth

Ouch :o Why is it that it hurts so much more when you are all grown up?! :(

Hope you feel better soon.........and yes I hope the snow goes too! xD

No, Narnia, no! I can't cope as it is and we're forecast more tonight too.

Actually I'm rather red-faced cos I couldn't get my car up the hill tonight even tho two nice (!) men tried to help me. I had to abandon it (plus shopping, plus nursery work) until hubby came home....

Guess what? He got in and drove it straight home, no problem (so he said!). That is soooo not fair:( At least he's got some tea tho!

I agree, parents really do turn up trumps when need be. I've just had a parent do just that for another parent (can't say more) but it brought a huge lump to my throat.

The world is full of lovely people, we just lose sight of it sometimes.

Sorry, narnia, with you on most things.....

Having broken my foot after coming out of foot plaster and spent SOOOOOOOOO long away from my little people, I just want the snow to GO.

But yes, it is beautiful.... (a beautiful thing....)

Sue xx

Sorry, narnia, with you on most things.....

Having broken my foot after coming out of foot plaster and spent SOOOOOOOOO long away from my little people, I just want the snow to GO.

Sue xx

Poor you :o - hope all better soon! :(

Snowing here again!

Oh well on with the wellies ready for a snowy trudge to work! :(xD

Didn't realise you were in Wiltshire...still snowing here in Somerset...just rang parents...nursery closed.....I am having quality time with my own children!

We just need to try to dig our horses out of our stables!

:o

Ouch :o Why is it that it hurts so much more when you are all grown up?! :(

Hope you feel better soon.........and yes I hope the snow goes too! xD

Thanks Sunnyday.

I have woken up in more pain that I did yesterday! Not nice, since I am bored sat at home. I am hoping to be back next week, since if I am not in work we cannot reopen brownies without me!

Weather report: It is cold and cloudy with black ice underfoot. Some schools are closed however many are open including the one I work in. It is due to snow later on.

Beth

Well I've just dragged 3 children away from working out how to re-construct a fallen snowman because the school has opened an hour later than normal. I got them there to find the whole school sitting in the hall watching television. Well that's far more educational then :o

Edited by Upsy Daisy

Well I've just dragged 3 children away from working out how to re-construct a fallen snowman because the school has opened an hour later than normal. I got them there to find the whole school sitting in the hall watching television. Well that's far more educational then :(

Oh no! :o

Have a look how snowed in we are...and how lonely my lovely nursery looks....the snowmen we made yesterday are buried!

Lovely pics. xD

Oh no! :o

Apparently the snow on the field might have been too slippery to play in (!) so the children (even those with appropriate clothing) were not allowed out all day.

Is it me or does my daughter's school need a bit of an education about the value of outdoor play? The path to the field was cleared and salted and it was considered safe for them to travel to the school in the first place. I have a feeling that it was more to do with the fact that the teachers weren't too keen on being outside.xD

I wish I had kept her at home.

Upsy Daisy, we've had this with the primary school I take children to - they've gone H&S barmy!

They're on top of a hill, with a single track road that's used by no-one else. No parking facilities so we all park on the road at the end of a footpath and walk the 1/4 mile trip each way.

Last Tuesday when the snow fell thick and fast they left it to parents to decide when to fetch the children and sent home those staff who lived furthest away. All the children were in the hall, all morning, watching tv. After lunch the staff began to phone around and ask parents to collect. What a waste of a day!

School was then closed for 2 days.

Re-opened Friday. There is snow lying 4+inches deep on the playground apart from a pathway a snow shovel width to the doors.

The children were not allowed out to play either on the playground or the fully enclosed field - in case there's an accident. The Head blames the "where there's blame there's a claim" mentality! :o

School open on Monday, same restrictions as Friday.

Parents have offered to go armed with snow shovels to clear the access, the staff car park and the playground but no - "where there's blame" xD

Today, after a further 2-3 inches of snow, school was again closed.

Parents have spoken to, and emailed the Head, offering assistance but still, no!

It now looks like the parents have had enough - they've contacted the local M.P to get her support. She's written to the Local Authority to try and get them to clear and grit the access, so fingers crossed!

Meanwhile, the playground lies untouched with enough snow to build an outdoor igloo classroom - very frustrating!

Nona