Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Desperately Need Advice And A Very Big Hug.

so sorry but really feel the need to rant, i am deputy manager of a nursery that is commitee run. The manager is never there for one reason or another and i am left to manage the staff do all the admin, chase fees, rotas etc. I am also the senco, keyperson, am responsible for overseeing all the planning, responsible for completing the SEF, updating registers etc. whilst being in ratio. The manager has just come back after 2 weeks away and despite me holding the fort and not having any major disasters (thank god) is having a go at me because she has had to come back and do some work, i.e. sort out sessions wanted by parents for the children who are about to come into government funding, I did as much as I could but she had promised sessions previously that we just don't have so I explained to parents that they would need to speak to her when she got back. I work late every night un paid, do all planning and update profiles at home to try and keep on top of things but as I also have a family to look after and am studying for a degree don't know how much more I can take. I've spoken to her formally and told her how stressed out and pressured I feel but she replies with "welcome to my world" I really want to give up on it all. This is my first deputy managers role and the job description suggests it is my job to step into the managers role when she is not there, but when she is there so little I feel like i am permanently the manager. The committee won't listen even if I try as they only ever listen to the managers and she tells them she is in nursery when she is not!! sorry for the long rant but would really appreciate any advice anyone can offer. Particularly from other deputies who can share their day with me and let me know if this is how it always is for deputies.

Thankyou, feel a little better now I've got that off my chest!.

The role you are describing sounds like my role as a Manager. My two Deputies don't have any of the burden you describe at all - they are to deputise in my absence, but as I'm always there then they carry out their function as Key Persons. They do the planning for their Key children and will do any other little things that I can delegate, such as reading materials and giving me a precis or telling me that its worth me reading it for myself!

It does sound as if you are taking a very large part of the burden, and when she says 'welcome to my world', what exactly is 'her world', what does she do? As Manager she is ultimately responsible for the setting and its paperwork, unless she has delegated for you to be her administrator.

Do you have a register for staff? I'm pretty sure you have to have one for operational reasons. What if a child complained an adult had said/done something? Would you be able to prove if they were present or not? Its something the committee might need to tell staff they need. Is the manager out on training or is she taking holiday? You need to find out why shes not there before you complain too much but if you think she isnt there when she should be put your concerns in writing to the committee.

Ask the manager exactlty what your role is. I was a deputy and a manager, I know there is a lot to do but as a deputy and as a manager I expected the deputy to stand in for me, but it was clear there were some things I didnt have to do. I was holding the fort, sorting day to day things not taking over, quote "all the admin, chase fees, rotas etc. I am also the senco, keyperson, am responsible for overseeing all the planning, responsible for completing the SEF, updating registers etc". Also, do your committee not do these things? I know its hard to get committee members these days and we're grateful to those we do get, but really, they should be doing a lot of the things you/the manager are doing.

You need to sort this out. :o

I am employed as a deputy manager of a preschool. I 'hold the fort' when my manager is not there and deal with the day to day stuff and anything that arises whilst she is away. As for all the admin and 'behind the scenes stuff' I did the SEF because I was asked and she was happy to delegate. I do stuff at home in my own time when the need arises but I am not taken for granted. I don't do extra stuff for any reward but just because I 'want to' My manager is brill - I don't expect it but am often rewarded by unexpected bonuses for all my 'extra stuff'

I don't feel put upon and can and do say no sometimes.

I'm sorry if this doesn't actually help but I really do feel as though you are being 'used' FAR too much. I think you need to let the committee know the true situation and also need to have a good old heart to heart with your manager - does she know how you really feel, her comments of 'welcome to my world' are neither helpful or professional :o

I really hope you manage to get it sorted and in the meantime I am sending virtual hugs your way

Hope you feel better for sharing the load so to speak and things improve soooooooooooon

Thankyou all for your advice. good point Rea we do have a register for staff and I do need to find out the reasons for absence and get this sorted. I understand that being a manager must be stressful and I'm sure she has alot to do that I probably don't see I just feel really down, under pressure and incompetent at the moment.

Thankyou again, just really needed to let off some steam and on the bright side, off for christmas now.

Hope you all have a good one.

I am employed as a deputy manager of a preschool. I 'hold the fort' when my manager is not there and deal with the day to day stuff and anything that arises whilst she is away. As for all the admin and 'behind the scenes stuff' I did the SEF because I was asked and she was happy to delegate. I do stuff at home in my own time when the need arises but I am not taken for granted. I don't do extra stuff for any reward but just because I 'want to' My manager is brill - I don't expect it but am often rewarded by unexpected bonuses for all my 'extra stuff'

I don't feel put upon and can and do say no sometimes.

I'm sorry if this doesn't actually help but I really do feel as though you are being 'used' FAR too much. I think you need to let the committee know the true situation and also need to have a good old heart to heart with your manager - does she know how you really feel, her comments of 'welcome to my world' are neither helpful or professional :o

I really hope you manage to get it sorted and in the meantime I am sending virtual hugs your way

Hope you feel better for sharing the load so to speak and things improve soooooooooooon

I think you've hit the nail on the head Geraldine. I too did 'extras' at first because I wanted to and it also helped me develop personally and professionally. As time has gone on it seems more and more tasks are suddenly my job and I now feel very used and taken for granted. I don't do any of it for reward other than personal satsfaction but I feel i don't get anything other than criticism from the manager, however, only I can change things and I definitely need to speak frankly to her and develop the ability to say no!! lol Thankyou and you have helped alot.

Oh dear minx, no wonder you're feeling put upon! I'd query why the Manager is out of the nursery so often - whether work or pleasure, it sounds to me as if you're doing much more than a deputy's job. I'm also concerned that the Manager is telling the Committee she is in nursery when she isn't - but as Rea says your registers should show this anyway (and it is part of the welfare requirements of the EYFS that records of children's and staff's arrival and leaving times are recorded).

Perhaps it would be worth looking at your job description and reviewing where your responsibilities end? You might then request a meeting with the Manager (and the committee member responsible for personnel issues if there is one, but if not, then the Chair) so that you can deal with your concerns and identify who is responsible for what.

I'd advise that you make a note of every conversation, and put your concerns in writing. If they refuse to listen to you then you may have grounds to claim constructive dismissal if you feel you have no option but to resign. In any case putting it in writing will make it much more difficult to ignore the situation.

Good luck minx - you can't go on like this and as Rea says you need to get it sorted!

Have a lovely Christmas and try not to think about work!

Maz

I can only echo what has been said before Minx - I would only expect my deputy to deputise for me in my absence doing the day to day stuff in the pre-school, I would not expect her to carry out any admin, planning and what not - if she is taking weeks away from work then you need to be consulted by her and have her input into how to cope for those weeks absences before she goes - so that you can break down what needs to be done and what doesn't by you.

Has she been away ill with the stress of doing all these things on her own before you stepped up to the mark and took on so much? or is she off doing training courses?

You must for the moment try to relax as much as you can during the Christmas break - I run my own group and I know how much back of scenes stuff goes on and I certainly wouldn't want to do that, have a young family to run, and try to do a degree. Put yourself and your family first for a while. Oh and one other thing have a good Christmas!

My thought was is your manager getting paid when she is off? If she is telling committee she is in and she's not surely she is not meeting the requirements of her contract regarding hours worked...do the committee do the wages - how do they do this - who does the time sheets?....do you get her wage when she is not in and you are covering? Seems to me you are working more as a co-manager.

She should at the very least be telling someone why she is off!

It certainly doesnt sound fair at all - are your committee parents? Don't they notice when she is not there and they are dropping off children? Do you have a support worker you can speak to? They might be able to help you figure out how to proceed.

Anyway - for now try to have a break and enjoy Christmas.

Good Luck! :o

Yes this definately doesn't seem right. Are you confident that you could cope if Ofsted turn up out of the blue. I know I have a rough idea when to expect them but if a parent makes a complaint I think they just turn up with no warning.

Work out your plan of action and who you need to get advise from in the New Year and then have a peaceful christmas knowing that thing will change next year!!!!!

big hug from me and remember say "NO!"

do you have a job description? if so dig it out and check against it what you are suposed to be doing compared with what your actually doing. (also if you can get you hands on the managers job description you can see what shes not doing)

keep a diary of what you do, times and work load and the actual attendance of the manager,take this to the committee and tell them to either address it or you'll stop doing anything out of paid hours. (work to rule)

if the manager claims she is at work when she isnt then its fraud,(very serious!) and if the committee is allowing this to happen then are they in effect aiding and abetting fraud? tell the committee you need a know when she will be in the setting so that you know when to make appointments for parents to speak to her and so that you know if there are staff off sick you know what cover is available.

in all honesty Id look for another job your clearly capable of being a manager so why not look something better?

Thank you so much for all your advice, I have taken all of it on board and have drawn up an action plan i.e. clarifying my role and hers using job descriptions, keeping a diary outlining all that I have to do.

I have tried hard to put work out of my mind and have managed to do so long enough to have a really lovely christmas. Hope you all have too.

Once again thankyou, thankyou, thankyou again all of you. You have no idea how much you have helped me, and your advice has really helped to spur me on to try and get it sorted.

Here's to a new year, new start and fingers crossed new job!! lol.

Happy new year everyone. x

• 2 months later...
Guest Spiral

Best of luck with this one.

I think there are some valid concerns, which must be addressed.

You mentioned you are committee run, but does your committee work actively or are they trying their hardest without much direction? Could be a consideration as they will only do what you would do (open up a link to ACAS and see where they/you/manager stand, contact the EY advisors in your County Council etc).

I know that sometimes, it is difficult, but your first line should be to talk to your manager. If you involve the committee first, someone will ask why you did not go to the Manager first and the emphasis could change. It is difficult to talk to people when you have a concern about them, but it is important to try hard and to make it a constructive conversation.

Also, it is important that you make your notes open for anyone to read - you cannot target one person in your notes as you could be seen as harassing them. I think writing notes can be a very positive instrument if everyone does it together as a reflective journal which is open for notes and actions to be logged.

Please take it one step at a time, maybe consider doing it little by little and making each item a 'step' rather than a leap.

Good luck,

Spiral