Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Registers - What's The Best Way?

Hello everyone

I'm sure I've seen a thread on this before, but I'm not sure how to find it.

I make my registers (for a day nursery with two rooms) on a table in Word, but someone told me its better to do it in Excel. I've just tried a prototype, but when I printed it, the lines of rows and columns don't show, so there is no box to write arrival times etc.

We have columns showing child's name, hours booked, arrival time, departure time, whether they are having breakfast, lunch and tea, and any extra time to be charged.

I wondered what everyone else does? Do you use paper registers? What format do you use?

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas everyone!

Beehive

I use excel. This is how you make grids:

Select the boxes you want made into a grid

Right click and select format cells

Click on the border tab

Play about with the presets or border options until you have the grid you want.

Hope that helps!

ppp

I've used excel for registers for years. I like the function of being able to add up columns of figures easily and the ability to use the tabs along the bottom for different months and other things like contact details, staff details etc, everything nicely in one place.

I think it depends on what you want from your register - if you're going to fill it in by hand then it really doesn't matter whether you use word or excel. However if you want to fill it in on a laptop or similar then excel may well offer you more functionality than a word version would, as Cait advocates.

Are you unhappy with your Word version Beehive? If so, what do you want it to do for you that it isn't doing now?

Maz

Thanks for your replies everyone...this forum is like magic! My word registers (or Reggies as we call them!) are OK Maz, but I thought that excel might give me more options as Cait says. I will keep trying the various options but I'm also considering nursery management software, so I'll have to see...

Happy Christmas, and stay safe on those slippery roads.

Beehive

Don't registers have to be in a 'bound' book then?

I was told this was the way it had to be when I started, if not life will be easier and cheaper! :o

I print them of and heat bind them at the end of the year and file them away. I keep the computer copy too - just in case!

Well in the event of a 'real' emergency I'd just grab the portable hard drive so that the information was still safe - although no doubt it would be sulking at being removed without the proper procedure!

We have a sheet that the children mark when they take turns doing the register, which is on a clipboard, that's what we grab for the drills and still would in a real evacuation as the portable drive wouldn't be much immediate help! :o

Edited by Cait

We have a parents sign in register which is nearest the exit which we could grab if we did go electronic.

I'd like to go all electronic - partly due to storing endless sheets of register for 300 years and partly because it's easier for me to adjust the booboos I make :o

Edited by sam2368

partly because it's easier for me to adjust the booboos I make :o

It certainly makes life easier - and easy to amend when parents endlessly change their minds! "Shell be coming Tuesday morning but not afternoon" "Oh, she's coming this afternoon now, 'cos Auntie Jennifer's picking her up" kind of thing!