Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nativity Story Books

sandie

• 1 year later...

I have a few versions of the Nativity story, although not in big book format, I have pop up versions, versions which see it from the prospective of animals in the story and what they see going on etc. I nearly always come back to the same version, however, when I am telling the story for the first time, I use a Ladybird book called The First Christmas, but it is a square book, just smaller than A4 size. but tells the story simply and with simple illustrations.

Hi,

I don't use a book at all. If necessary I add props as I'm going along, but I favour a 'storytelling' approach - that way you can respond immediately to your children. You can bring them in if becoming restless, or spin out aspects they may find interesting. And of course, you can always add accents and by-play!

Sue

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I don't use a book at all. If necessary I add props as I'm going along, but I favour a 'storytelling' approach - that way you can respond immediately to your children. You can bring them in if becoming restless, or spin out aspects they may find interesting. And of course, you can always add accents and by-play!

Sue

Yes that's a good technique too which I have done. I wrap all the animals separately in tissue, the star, a crown the people etc., and we have a stable and As the story progresses along a child is chosen to unwrap another object and off we go again.

I also like the book the Owl and the Star which tells the story in a simple format but has some lovely expressions in it.

I like "Round the back"(I think that's what its called) it's told from the inn keepers perspective

we also have a knitted nativity which we use to tell the story the children enjoy being able the handle the characters

I like "Round the back"(I think that's what its called) it's told from the inn keepers perspective

we also have a knitted nativity which we use to tell the story the children enjoy being able the handle the characters

Jesus's Christmas Party i think it's called. Would make a good play for primary children I often think

Jesus's Christmas Party i think it's called. Would make a good play for primary children I often think

I adapted this story into a play and have done it successfully with pre-school and older children up to 11 at Sunday school. It's on here somewhere attached to a thread!

It's by Nicholas Allen and we bought a copy from the latest scholastic leaflet. I think it's Jesus' Birthday Party though not Christmas

Definitely "Jesus Christmas Party" by Nicholas Allen and it makes a super play. In fact I think someone has done a musical version of it. I'm sure it will be on Amazon, and you could of course click on the link to Amazon from here, and a small donation will be made to a children's charity :o

Definitely "Jesus Christmas Party" by Nicholas Allen and it makes a super play. In fact I think someone has done a musical version of it. I'm sure it will be on Amazon, and you could of course click on the link to Amazon from here, and a small donation will be made to a children's charity :o

They have a third of "Jesus's Christmas Party" in Waterstones, my Nursery class really enjoyed the story, I brought Father Christmas Needs A Wee" too which was a lovely number focused story.

It has definitely been done as a musical - my school did it a few years ago. Although to be honest I didn't think it was quite as good as just reading the story - that could have been those particular actors though. The innkeeper didn't quite get the right amount of frustration into his 'round the back!' for me.

I have always loved telling this story to my infant children then last year I was down to do KS2 assembly which always worries me a bit - their teachers often seem to get a bit grown up and serious. I decided I was going to tell them 'Jesus Christmas Party' with actions and they loved it - all joined in with gusto and very sensible Y5 boys were saying 'I remember that, I loved it when we first heard it!'

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)