Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New County Continence Policy

Hi all

our county has just brought out a new continence policy to support its LA Eys settings and primary schools - which is obviously a good thing.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts / can explain the need for a total of four handwashes for every nappy change.

policy reads like this...

wash hands before you begin then put gloves (and apron) on.

change nappy & place in nappy bag.

wash hands with gloves on.

put wipes, nappy sack, apron and gloves into a plastic bag.

wash hands again.

dispose of plastic sack in normal school/setting waste.

wash hands again.

I am particulalry curious about need to wash your hands with gloves on.

It does sound as if someone has a bit of a handwashing fetish. I'm curious about the need to wash hands after putting the gloves in with the nappy and wipes etc before putting the bag in the wastebin. What do you do with the nappy sack whislt you're washing your hands? Does this surface need to be sanitised afterwards?

I know we have to have good hygiene practices, but I think you could begin to get quite paranoid about germs with all this handwashing.

Like you, I'm a bit bemused about why you'd need to wash your hands whilst you've still got the gloves on, too. Have you challenged this guidance yet? I wonder if the person who wrote it has actually tried changing a nappy whilst following this procedure.

Maz

I think I might ask for the person who wrote this to come and give a practical demonstration for your setting. I agree with the others - it's sounds like you would be spreading germs around unnecessarily. Also what does the child do whilst all this hand-washing is going on? Just lie quietly and wait til you've finished I suppose?

I think everyone is going bonkers with a list that long to change a nappy, and all the hand washing with gloves on does is cause cross contamination of all you touch .

Even when in hospitals changing dressings there is no where near as much hand washing as this, and that is a place where if necessary it would be done!

The idea of gloves is to protect you , and as said by touching taps etc with potentially contaminated gloves actually makes it a waste of time wearing them.

also makes me wonder what is happening to the wipes etc while you are spending time washing hands to contaminate them again with the same items.. and poor child .. as we all know will not often stay still while you do all this...

I would probably challenge it and ask why? ask them to explain the reasoning behind the policy.

Inge

The most worrying thing about all this is the fact that it's come down from 'on high' i.e your LA Wouldn't be so bad if it was from someone struggling to write one on their own but really..... Do you think that some of the handwashing repeats could be someone misreading it when it was typed up? Besides agreein with everything that has been said, can you imagine the time it would take you just to change one nappy??

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)