Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Garden Stories

Anyone know of any books suitable for year ones where the story is centred around a garden? I'm hoping to do this as a topic next term. I know there's one about a giant who owned a garden he wouldn't let anyone into, but I can't remember the title or whether it's age appropriate (I seem to remember the giant dying at the end, which is a sensitive issue in my class). Are there any other nice short stories that take place in gardens or where the garden is central to the story? I'm looking for a few different titles rather than one main one to focus on (we're already had a focus on Oliver's Vegetables so we're leading on from that).

Do you have 'Oliver's Fruit Salad'?

'Rosie's Radishes' is quite nice (oops missed the 'year ones' - this would be too 'young' I think)

I have more.........but all at work.........and I have a severe case of Sunday afternoon brain! :o

I'll keep thinking........

Edited by sunnyday

I know there's one about a giant who owned a garden he wouldn't let anyone into, but I can't remember the title or whether it's age appropriate

You are thinking of The Selfish Giant by Oscar Wilde, which is a really beautiful story, although the Christ Child bit at the end is something you may have to adapt or deal with appropriately. I have used this story very successfully with Reception children and it is one of my favourites.

Ah The Selfish Giant! Thanks Jacquie. It's a C of E school so the idea of it being Jesus should be fine, although I seem to remember some rather grisly details about wounds in the hands and feet that might need to be played down a little.

And how could I forget Peter Rabbit! Another lovely story!

Are there any others though? I want to really introduce the idea that a garden can be a special and magical place, not just somewhere for growing vegetables as it was in Oliver's Vegetables.

I simplified the selfish giant for my children and gave it a happy ending. I have attatched it if it is any good to you.

Killowengirl.

Thanks that absolutely fantastic, I'll definitely be using that one now! Might have to change the 'prosecuted' bit though, I've got some children who have close relatives in prison and talking about what that word means might open a whole load of issues!

Don't worry Rapunzel you haven't made up The Enormous Turnip, it definitely exists as does the story of The Enormous Watermelon. I'll be using that one later in the term I think :)

Thanks for all the other suggestions, feeling a lot more confident about the whole thing now.

Thanks that absolutely fantastic, I'll definitely be using that one now! Might have to change the 'prosecuted' bit though, I've got some children who have close relatives in prison and talking about what that word means might open a whole load of issues!

Don't worry Rapunzel you haven't made up The Enormous Turnip, it definitely exists as does the story of The Enormous Watermelon. I'll be using that one later in the term I think :)

Thanks for all the other suggestions, feeling a lot more confident about the whole thing now.

yeah never thought of that maybe I should rephrase it thanks for the promt

killowengirl

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)