Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Opening Up !

hi is it wrong for staff to open up let parents in befor the leader with nvq3 level arrives this is happening quite alot at pre school i know . I must also mention that not all staff are trained and 2 have not even had a police check done on them . one occasion only one member of staff was qualifed with level 2

Edited by bubblybee3107

really depends on circumstances, providing children are still the responsibility of the parent and not in the care of the setting yet, and that the insurance covers this period of time..

ours did come into the waiting area before leaving child and our insurance did cover this period, and it just happened to be whoever arrives first who opened up..

all staff should have a crb ....unless.. like me they were checked under social services years ago and Ofsted are saying this is ok... even so for good practice crb should be done.

at this time not all staff have to be qualified, so long as the current requirements are in place I believe it is still only 50% of the staff to level 2 , other than leader and deputy at level 3 .

Inge

really depends on circumstances, providing children are still the responsibility of the parent and not in the care of the setting yet, and that the insurance covers this period of time..

ours did come into the waiting area before leaving child and our insurance did cover this period, and it just happened to be whoever arrives first who opened up..

all staff should have a crb ....unless.. like me they were checked under social services years ago and Ofsted are saying this is ok... even so for good practice crb should be done.

at this time not all staff have to be qualified, so long as the current requirements are in place I believe it is still only 50% of the staff to level 2 , other than leader and deputy at level 3 .

Inge

Hi sorry i failed to say these staff have only been working at the pre school for the last 5 weeks have no previous work in that area ,are yet be registered on a nvq 2 course, the parents just drop kids and go the leader arrives half hr late on most days . Having work in a pre school i was always lend to belive that level 3 should be on site .

Do you know why the leader isn't there? Is it that she's turning up late, or is away? I'd be uncomfy about dropping my child off unless the main supervisor was there. I'd certainly question why CRB checks have not been done - that is essential. Let's face it, with all the horrible stuff currently in the news, you'd think those running the pre-school would be extra vigilant.

Hi, I can see that we've cross posted. I'd be very unhappy at the situation you described - who's in charge? Is it a PVI setting? Is there a committee - contact them urgently! If you're still not happy I'd be tempted to contact Ofsted as the situation you describe sounds worryingly chaotic.

Hi sorry i failed to say these staff have only been working at the pre school for the last 5 weeks have no previous work in that area ,are yet be registered on a nvq 2 course, the parents just drop kids and go the leader arrives half hr late on most days . Having work in a pre school i was always lend to belive that level 3 should be on site .

Have to say.......this sounds like very poor practice to me...........

If children are left in care of the staff then this is wrong and should not be happening... ratios are not met and they are in likely to be in breach of their registration requirements.

A personal view I would check my facts double check them and then contact either committee to let them know or if no joy Ofsted/ Lea sounds a dangerous position for any children and unqualified staff to be in..the staff should not be asked to do this or be put in this position . Also if they are not CRB checked at a minimum they should not be left unsupervised with children until this has come through.

by reporting it would double up to make sure I was able to feel I had done all I can for the children and setting... if investigated and unfounded no harm is done except perhaps to make sure they think hard about their own practice.

may sound harsh but for my peace of mind I would have to do something.. but that is me... others may not feel the same way...

Inge

Edited by Inge

reason she late is she does school drop off befor work which her childs school 16 miles away from the setting ,some mornings she runs behind she told the leader who's not long left that she gets round it by telling them to let parents in as she won,t be to far behind , . like u and i know anythink can happen in that time , .Thankyou for all ur replys i know what needs be done .

I do not feel that a school run and will be there soon is enough .... she really should either be there or have a fully qualifies level 3 to deputise before admitting children....

There must be a named deputy who would be able to do the role until she turns up..

as you say anything can happen between admitting the children and her turning up... on both sided, on her journey and in the setting...

it is not just the children but the staff put in a difficult situation..

(and to think I worried if I was late in the mornings with all level 3 staff there!)

Inge

Hmm, i have a qualified level 2 open up for me each morning, as the 1st bus i can get doesnt arrive until 8.05 unless its running early! shes not alone, theres always another staff member with her.... she opens up and lets parents and children in, follows the opening procedures, and keeps her mobile phone on her so i can keep her informed. Shes worked here for a year. Parents are aware that i havent arrived when they leave their child. This was set up to ensure the breakfast club could run smoothly and parents werent disrupted, and we carried out a risk assessment.

Not every situation is ideal i know.

Ali

we was told in our setting that a level 3 had to be present at all times as it is in the registration and thats why you have emergency cover even for just half an hour,but its not always possible, i dont like the sound of that bummble bee 3107 just not good pratice!

This is from the standards document

Safe recruitment

Providers must obtain an enhanced Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) Disclosure, which includes a

Protection Of Children Act list/List 99 check, in respect of all people who work directly with children

or who are likely to have unsupervised access to them.

Providers must allow only people who have undergone an enhanced CRB check to have

unsupervised contact with children on the premises.

Providers must keep records to demonstrate to Ofsted that the checks have been done, including

the number and date of issue of the enhanced CRB Disclosure.

Providers must have effective systems in place to ensure that practitioners and others likely to have

unsupervised access to the children (including those living or working on the premises) are suitable

to do so.

Providers must also have regard to any requirements made under the Safeguarding Vulnerable

Groups Act 2006 once these come into force with the intended introduction of a new vetting and

barring scheme for those working with children and vulnerable adults from autumn 2008.

and

All supervisors and managers must hold a full and relevant level 3 (as defined by the Children’s

Workforce Development Council (CWDC)) and half of all other staff must hold a full and relevant

level 2 (as defined by CWDC).

Any statement with must in it is a legal requirement.

Any statement with should in it is "good practice".

Unqualified unchecked personnel is really a no go if they are on their own.

You know my frst thought, after the safeguarding issues, were that I, along with many, many others, have fought for years to be recognised as professionals on the same footing as those in schools. For any member of staff, esp a manager, to be unable to get there on time 'because she has to drop her children at school' totally underminds all the hard work that has been done and knocks us back to the dark ages when playgroup workers were 'just Mums' playing with the children. I wonder what the reaction would be if when dropping her child at school she was told to leave them with a new unqualified, unexperienced adult as the teacher was dropping her child at school & couldn't get there in time. Of course if your contract states that you dont start work until until after your setting has set up and opened then that is a completely different kettle of fish.

I think it is extremely bad practice to let your staff open when they do hold the correct qualification

let alone putting that burden on the staff

what sort of message are you sending to the parents

and has also been mentioned safe guarding, well its not happening there