Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pirates And Princesses

Hi all

After half-term we are going to have a 'themed week' ........hmmm........seemed like a good idea at the time! xD:o

So Pirates and Princesses........I have already let parents know about this and suggested that children may like to come 'dressed up' or if not bring something for 'show and tell'....

I am going to take my grandson's pirate ship in - shhhh don't tell him!....

Will bury some 'treasure' in the sand tray.....

I have some 'Princess books' - no Pirates though - will visit the library......

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Sunnyday

ask the children, once they start they will have own ideas..

ours all made eye patches, swords and searched for scarves to wear on their heads. we had a parot puppet which was popular and gave us lots of use of language using stories and games.

when we had princesses it ended up as Rapunzel , cannot work out how we got there but all wanted longest hair.. we used material plaited and put on with a clip, all came form the children.

ours alo wanted to make a big pirate ship so we ended up with lots of card boxes stuck together for them to play in, outdoors they covered the climbing frame to make a ship.

Inge

Edited by Inge

What about some songs and rhymes,

There was a princess long ago..

When I was 1 I sucked my thumb...

a sailor went to sea,sea, sea....

Bobby Shaftoe? (not strictly pirates but nice still)

What shall we do with the druken sailor?

....and what about that game 'Captain's Coming' ? Anyone who went to Brownies will probably remember it as Port and Starboard

Tights make great 'wigs' in appropriate colours and you can decorate them with ribbons and sparkly bits to look like long, long plaits - sounds wierd (sp?!) but it worked!

Make salt dough jewellery, paint gold or silver and use sequins for jewels - pirates and princesses both appreciate a bit of bling!

What about having a 'Ball' if they are all going to dress up? Just for a couple of minutes jig around really - but make sure they all bow and curtsey - always good for a laugh :)

Ours got obsessed with telescopes and binoculars last time Pirates came up so lots of rolls might be worth having - we ran out v quickly and they made their own in all sorts of wonderful ways.

Messages in bottles, folding and decorating fans, making handsome prince frogs with the dough (I did decline to kiss any I'm ashamed to admit), planks to balance along, water on the snack table became known as grog for a while.........

Treasure boxes - literally!!!

We have a couple of boxes with eye patches, hats, jewels, and lots of little boxes of "treasure" all from the tat stores eg. 99p/£1

Have put all sorts in and the children have had great fun - boys in particular engaged in making treasure maps especially aged ones using a tea bag and burnt edges (tea bag done by children burned edges done by the growed up).

Also managed to get Beebot in on the act looking for a treasure box on the map.

Had a treasure hunt in the church hall car park where the children had to find treasure cakes for snack time

Took lots of photos and made a "treasure hunt book"

Some good ideas already. We made eye patches out of felt and elastic. We also made boats at snack - half a bridge roll for the boat, one of those buffet flags with child's name on (ie a flag on a toothpick), ketchup base, grated cheese, chopped ham etc, grilled in time for snack.

Plus pirate song

When I was one I banged my drum, the day I went to sea

I climbed aboard a pirate ship and the captain said to me,

we're going this way, that way

forwards and backwards

over the deep blue sea,

a bottle or rum to fill my tum and that's the life for me!

etc.

Inge you beat me to to it ..................................ask the children

So does that mean that you wouldn't have anything pre-planned - even though this is first week after half term break?

Thanks everyone you have given me lots to think about! :o

I bought a great CD of pirate songs from 'Kids Music', an online store. ALL the children loved them and always asked to listen and sing at singing times.

We hid treasure in the sand tray outside and the children loved getting dressed up in costumes (ask parents if you can borrow them - I had a great donation from one parent last year) and running off from our 'ship' and digging it up.

I (when I was Wendy!) got rescued by Peter Pan one day as I was pushed off the plank!

So does that mean that you wouldn't have anything pre-planned - even though this is first week after half term break?

With it being first week back maybe introduce the idea of pirates and princesses a little before the half term break, that way you can get a feel for the direction it might go in and their interests and perhaps get resources ready and maybe plan a few focussed things etc. You can probably anticipate a lot of what they might come up with anyway, although children always like to throw a few surprises in there!

Also interested to see all the variations of the pirate song! The version I was taught was:

When I was one, I ate a bun, the day I went to sea... etc.

When I was two, I tied my shoe... etc

I like using this song in year one to try and get the kids to come up with other phrases that rhyme, don't know what that would be like in FS though, I suppose it depends on the ability of your children.

Edited by Guest

Hi Laila and Kariana and thanks for your responses. xD

My question 'so does this mean that you wouldn't have anything pre-planned' was a genuine enquiry.......

We are a very small pre-school group - at this end of the school year I only have 2 four year olds - if we are in the middle of 'something' I can quite easily 'build on their interests' - this term we have gone off on a complete tangent with 'wild animals' and it has been great!!! My thoughts are that if I start talking about Pirates and Princesses - they will think we are going to be starting now!!! So I wanted to get a few ideas together just to give them a 'starting point' - hope that makes sense! :(

It is easy to post 'ask the children' - but not especially helpful!!! :(:o

Sunnyday

I have a copy of the Night Pirates if you'd like to borrow it?

If you feel you want to invest in books as children might 'run with' the theme, go to Amazon and in the book section type in 'pirates'. There's probably loads - it's not something I've ever done as a theme as mine haven't expressed an interest. I got a book a few years back 'Traction Man' that was recommended to me as one the children would love and it sat on the shelf for a year, I read it a few times at story time but none of the children ever borrowed it to take and share. Books can be very subjective between groups I have found, and what works well in one, obviously doesn't work for all. Bizarre really when you think of it!

Anyway - a bit of a tangent there, sorry. I'll happily send the book if you'd like to 'try before you buy'

Hi

I have never replied to anything on the forum before - I am new to it - so hope this works!!!

We have a pirate day in my setting (school nursery). All of the children come dressed up and we hide 'treasure' around school and go into each classroom looking for it. The rest of the school love it and it really gets them and the teachers involved in EYFS. Most of the teachers wear something sparkly which we then 'steal'!!

Sunnyday

Hi

I have never replied to anything on the forum before - I am new to it - so hope this works!!!

We have a pirate day in my setting (school nursery). All of the children come dressed up and we hide 'treasure' around school and go into each classroom looking for it. The rest of the school love it and it really gets them and the teachers involved in EYFS. Most of the teachers wear something sparkly which we then 'steal'!!

Sunnyday

Hi Sara - thanks for your reply - sounds like fun! :o

And a very warm welcome to the forum!

Keep posting!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)